If you could choose one........

If you could choose one assault rifle to have by your side at war, which would it be?

• M16A1/A2/A3/A4

Votes: 21 15.9%
  • M4/M4A1

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • M14

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • AK-47/AK-74/AKM/AKS-74U/

Votes: 33 25.0%
  • FN FAL/CETME

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Steyr AUG

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • HK XM8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HK 416/ HK 417

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • FN SCAR-H/FN SCAR-L

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • HK G3

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • HK G36

• IMI Galil

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Sig 552

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Ruger Mini 14 (full auto)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • FAMAS

• Other

Votes: 9 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

P99AS9

Say you were sent off to a foreign country to fight a war. If you could choose one (automatic) rifle to have by your side, which would it be?

Citizen Carrier

Lots of stuff to consider.

I was in Baghdad in 2005 and our unit was equipped with the M16A4 rifle.

Considering we did all of our movements in humvees, that full-sized rifle was generally irritating to me. A very poor choice for such things.

Additionally, the non-collapsable, full length stock made aimed fire almost a physical impossibility with the IBA (body armor). You just cannot get anything like a decent stock weld with your cheek when you have the e-sapi ballistic plates in. After 14 years of service qualifying every year in just BDUs and simple load-bearing gear, I found it very difficult to suddenly do any decent shooting with the body armor on.

I guess I'd go with a carbine version of the AR10. With a collapsable stock so aimed fire with IBA or IOTV on would not just be wishful thinking. Or a similar AR-family rifle chambered in a 6 or 6.5mm type cartridge.

j.chappell

I'd love to vote but I have never served and I have limited knowledge and no knowledge of some of the firearms listed.

I would have to say though that it would greatly depend upon the situation I would be in.

I'm sorry to say 062 but I believe that the SKS was not on there for a reason. Even if there were but 2 choices, SKS or AK I really dont know how you could choose the SKS. I do know a little about both of those and in my experience it would be AK all the way.

model70fan

How 'bout climate and such? Nothing beats the AK for reliability under horrible conditions. Availability of replacement parts, cleaning supplies, gunsmiths, etc...? I chose the AK as a basic, usable tool that is ultra reliable in unfriendly conditions, it almost always goes bang

Smaug

Only one vote (mine) for the Steyr AUG? I'm disappointed in you guys. There are really no drawbacks to this rifle, if it isn't your money paying for it...

Mike U.

This poll is likely going to be skewed by what people currently have or are familiar with. And, let's face it, most of us do not and likely will never have a Steyr AUG or any SCAR variant.
Something in .308 sounds good, but, humping around enough ammo to feed it will be NO FUN.

I think your going to see a LOT of AK and AR votes on this poll.

Me? I went with the AK because I have much more experience with it than I ever had with M-16 variants while in the USMC. Meaning, I have a helluva lot more trigger time on my AK than my M-16A1.
Additionally, I prefer throwing .30 caliber lead. The AK has simpler inner workings and the round is good enough to take care of business at 300 yards and less. Any further than that is likely not going to happen and if it does, then it's time to call in the fast movers or artillery.

K-Minus

My choice would be an AK.Use's a very common caliber that easy to find,no
shortage of spare parts and is super reliable.

LateNightFlight

I'm really a Hellfire from the sky kind of guy. And what kind of guns could I get on an A-10 Warthog?

If they gave me an AR, I'm sure I'd be a frequent flyer for disciplinary action. "Once again, LateNightFlight made an unauthorized acquisition of ammo and wandered away from the platoon to go AR plinking."

wyobohunter

.22 Lr

I don't know about John Rambo, but If I get shot with that I'd probably want to take my toys and go home! It's cheap to feed and you can carry lots of ammo. Most military ammo is designed to wound anyway (FMJ), one injured soldier taakes two more out of the fight... I've heard that more people are killed w/the .22 LR than anything.

5RWill

I chose the H&K 416 because i've seen the gun take a thrashing and show relability like an AK. Although i've seen a case get stuck in the bolt also. Of course my favorite gas piston system isn't up there, LWRC makes one hell of a rifle. Similar to the H&K 416 but it can become very compact. Say you get the PSD it has a 8 inch barrel fires the 6.8 and is deadly accurate as mack will show you on future weapons. He shoots rolls of dynomite at 200m i believe, open sights. So ya H&K 416 or LWRC. The reason, well ak is great and all for reliability, but it lacks in accuracy, range, and quite frankly is a damn heavy assault rifle. Also rapid fire the whole damn thing is shaking, and it's completely unaccurate. So there you have my vote.:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM1SntQ7s7k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N03LVJgUWdU&feature=related

Of course then there is one more extremely advanced assault rifle that only the Russians use... The AN-94 one hell of a weapon, i would choose that but i haven't seen it put through test..

chris in va

I don't pretend to know a darn thing about most of the guns listed. But having witnessed the (lack of) failure rate on various AK's I've fired, I'd have to go with that one. Even my friend's new FAL had bad teething problems.

If they could make an AK platform accurate as the M16, it would win hands down IMO.

5RWill

Another weapon i forgot to mention hell it might be extinct now its the OTs-14 Groza. I always thought it was a pretty cool weapon, i know nothing about it so it don't even know if it should be in the selection. Looks sweet:D

sgmk_oc-14_groza.gif