If you could choose just one of these rifles for deer

pabuckslayer08

Im getting to have a good collection of rifles that I would use for hunting purposes and am starting to debate with myself over which one to use for average deer hunting, to start I have a 7600 .243, 7600 .280, 760 30-06, A Bolt .270, 700 .243, 700 .280, 700 30-06. These are all set up with good glass and rings. I have some others that shoot just as well but am going to keep them in good collection shape so out of the ones listed what would you take. I want to take all of them but you cant do that. Also the A Bolt had a trigger job and was foated, All the 7600s had trigger jobs and the 700 30-06 was floated and bedded. Im leaning towards the stainless A Bolt .270

Saltydog235

Nothing wrong with any of them. I normally hunt with different rifles during the season but I'll probably stick to my new .243 Savage next year just because it has a plastic stock and most of my other guns are nice wood stock guns.

Though from our other little debate/disagreement, I'd probably pick the one that didn't have the POS Nikon on it.:D

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Whichever one you're most "married up with". If the majority of the shooting distance is inside of a couple of hundred yards, I'm partial to a .243, myself. When I hunt more in "way out there" possibilities, I go with my '06.

Saltydog235

Well, there ya go. Nothing wrong with the .280 at all.:D

BTW, is there a feature that you have to turn on or get permission for to use a quote? This is a little different set-up from other forums.

chadstrickland

well the way I would make my decision would be to figure in all the factors...such as the average range I expect to find targets..I grew up using a .223 caliber bold action ( old remington 78 sportsman )...and it was more than up to the task at 300 yards..and some could argue further but I wasn't comfortable shooting any further out of risk of wounding the animal ...the 30 caliber weapons such as 308 3006 300 winmag are plenty to go at a minimum of 500 yards..I have little experience with a 270 caliber weapon and have just a little more with the. 243 Cal...but having seen and field dressed many deer shot with the two weapons I can tell u that...243 is more than up for the task of killing a deer at 300 yards...then next would be accuracy of the rifles themselves..such as if the 270 is shooting .5 moa at 100 yards and 3006 is shooting 1 moa..I would choose the .270...for the simple fact of having a greater chance of hitting a smaller target at greater distances..( not 1000 yards or anthing like that )...and then at last the terrian in which I would be hunting..thick brush calls for a heavier caliber bullet and if it close distances u may want to consider a semi automatic weapon with low power glass...just food for thought...remington is my personal favorite...although there is nothing wrong with a browning...I just like the remington ..u can deck them out anyway u want to..both are good choices..I may have not answered your question..just something to consider...most of the information I have given here comes from personal experience..keep in mind I am only 19 no military experience....im sure u can find alot more knowledgeable people here....anyways..goodluck and good hunting :)

Double J

Picking a deer rifle for where I live is easy. None.
But if I hunt in the hills of the upper Cumberland in Tennessee, the .243 is plenty. Deer there are little but distances can vary a lot.

mikerault

I currently use an 8mm so one of the 30-06 would do for me, but I have also used a .243 and liked it (an old Remington 742 BDL, of course then it was a new 742 BDL!) but the 30-06 can reach out several hundred yards if needed or do close in, so I like it a lot. Picked up a 742 30-06 for my son-in-law at the Atlanta gun show 2 years ago as a matter of fact. I like the Nikon 3x9 40 Prostaff scopes, use them on my 8mm.

Mike

eastbank

of all the rifles i own that i could use for deer, these are the ones i pick up first, a rem 7600 cabine 30-06 with a 2x7 leupold and a older rem 760 in 30-06 with open sights for bad weather and i have killed a pile of deer with both. eastbank.

Last edited:

hoffbill

So --- you want us to convince your wife you need a new rifle or what? Obviously you need something on an AR platform or you are just plain outgunned!

pabuckslayer08

No ARs for me, illegal to hunt with here and if I got a semi it would be a 10/22 or so to plink with. The 700 30-06 and the A Bolt .270 are the nicest guns out of them to look at as well as they both shoot real well. Maybe Ill work on some loads for those 2 and see which I can make shoot the best

scoutman

1-Which one has the best trigger (3 lbs or less);
2-Which one is the lightest-all up (scope, rings, bases, sling)
3-Which one is the shortest and has a LOP < 13"

pabuckslayer08

The 700 30-06 by far has the longest pull and probably is one of the lighest, comparable to the other 700 .243 much lighter than the A Bolt but the A Bolt has the best trigger, maybe Ill go and get the 700 lightened up a bit cause right now its around 4.5-5 from the factory. Id like to go to 3.5 or 4 for my hunting gun