If There Was Incentive, Would You Take More Safety Courses?

Kreyzhorse

I'm 38 and have been hunting and shooting for years and consider myself a safe person to hunt and shoot with. With that said, I had to take a Hunter Ed course so that I could legally hunt out west and meeting Wyoming's requirement. I also recently took a gun safety course so I could get my CCW permit. While both of these courses were pretty basic, I enjoyed each and learned a little something at both.

:) Also, I'm cheap. I'd certainly take a course for a 20% discount on a firearm.

This is not a question of you integrity, nor stating that HUNTER ED isn't great fun (mine was, we got to shoot the teacher's class III stuff and shotguns:D )
Mainly, it is about appeasing one group to stall their steady encrochment on our freedoms:(
-VE

rwilson452

If the course is more than the 20% I'll pass. I will give anyone the basic safety part of the NRA basic rifle course for free. That would cost me nothing but time. and it just might make my next trip to the range safer.

HiltonFarmer

I guess you can never learn too much. :)

I recently took a Black Badge course for IPSC shooting and found that I learned more about safe gun handling than ever before. I must emphasize that safety is first and foremost in everyone's mind when taking this course.

Not sure what your CCW courses consist of but this would surely parallel it I would suspect. If you gave me a 20% discount on a firearm because of it, that would just be an added bonus. :p

HiltonFarmer

Sgt.Fathead

Value

If the cost of the course was reasonable and I had some input from previous students/attendees, sure. I like to learn and to get a new take on things. Plus, 20% off is nice, if that deal is, as another had posted no less than the cost of the course.

EJJR

Not trying to be a smart-ass but, is this actually a real proposal or just a hypothetical question?

Generally, I'm all for more training, and I think it would provide an incentive for others to pursue additional training as well. It would also depend on the course material, location, and the cost.

Slightly off-topic; After I get my handgun I plan on taking an armed guard course ( Blue Card here in CT.) to learn more about assessing situations where/when the use of a firearm is warranted and for techniques about removing myself from situations where such use would be authorized. I have already taken an NRA rifle course;( and I have yet to own a firearm.)
I've also been around firearms my whole life ( My father was an avid hunter and my grandfather was a gunsmith with Olin and Winchester.) and dont' feel additional training to be a detriment in any case.

MisterPX

I'd do it if it were to my financial benefit; cost of class < savings. What would teh class teach me that I didn't already know?

The point is not in fact to teach you more, rather, it is a failsafe. Meaning, it is trivial to us, but is satisfies the "anti" crowd. I derived this from a debate I had with the "other" side;)
-VE

EJJR

What are the odd's that it would satisfy the "anti's"?

I wouldn't bet a an aluminum cent it would.

Ok, if a law was made, and the law stated that many firearms restrictions would be lifted if everyone took a free course... would you do it?
That seems like incentive enough for me... I loved my hunter safety course, and if it meant I could buy ammo at the local hardware store without any age problems then I'd be takin' that course faster than a cat flinching from an electric fence!
-VE

Last edited:

howard bleach

I usually enjoy these types of things. Even when they go over the basics ad infinitum, sitting in a room talking about guns and gun safety beats sitting around and watching TV during the NFL offseason. Gimme the 20% discount, make the class free, and I'll be there!

EJJR

For me it would depend on the exact letter of the law.

More training for fewer/no restrictions? Seems like a fair compromise. Though in reality Im not for restrictions emposed on law abiding citizens regarding firearms in the first place.

I plan on taking more than the required amount of training anyway; and I will have to pay for it.

Caeser23

Being that I was in the army for 6 years and spent a year in the sandbox, I would say I'm very safe with firearms compared to most but I still plan on taking all that is offered by the state when I have the money to do so, I know I'll learn something new, maybe not in 101 but the more advanced classes definitely.

Double J

I was sitting on my couch, cleaning my muzzleloader, when this huge barrel went BOOOOOOOM! Yeah, the 20% sounds fair.:eek:

44 AMP

Staff
Appeasment

Doesn't work. Chamberlain tried it with Hitler, and it didn't work. We have been trying it with the anti-gunners for decades, and it hasn't worked yet. These people will not stop until they don't have any more guns to hate, and that isn't going to happen this side of Judgement Day.

It sounds reasonable to us (we like guns), and if you could get them to let me own a machinegun by taking a class (even if it cost me), I would be all for it, but I don't see it happening. The problem with throwing a baby out of the sleigh is that after eating it, the wolves come back, and we have one less baby.

Hal

The point is not in fact to teach you more, rather, it is a failsafe
No - the point in fact is,, that the inducment at this point is a finacial reward.
@ some future point, it will become mandatory.
@ a point beyond that, it will become a criminal offense to lack it.

If you have a spare year or two or three we can explore the thousands of times this process has been implemented.