If SHTF and you were an archaeologist in the late 30s/early 40s what would you use?

Andrew Wyatt

I just finished watching indiana jones and the temple of doom and wanted to know what TFL'ers in the know would use if they were archeologists in the late 30s/early 40s.

Libertarian

A rock hammer, trowel, whisk broom and dental pick would be the first items. A S&W 45 (1917) or a Colt 1911 would be for personal/site security. (And toilet paper. Leaves suck for personal hygene.)

Humm....

Lots of good choices.

Maybe a Winchester 92 and a Colt New Service in .44-40...

A Winchester Model 7 autoloader in .351 and an S&W .357 Magnum (Model 27).

CV-3 Saratoga

and her entire air wing along with the Prunebarge (USS California with 12 14" guns). Oh, you mean small arms.

Schnellfeuer Mauser with 20 round detachable magazine and shoulder stock holster. Federov semi-automatic rifle (no M-1s around quite yet).

seeker_two

Winchester 92 & S&W Hand Ejector in either .38-40 or .44-40.

Lemon Squeezer .38S&W as backup.

And a couple of good knives.

Any other weapons I need I'll pick up from the dead Nazis...:cool:

Ron L

I'd consider the 1911 and a Tommy gun as well, but I'd also pick up a nice double barrel, exposed hammer SG and a nice lever action rifle.

Dfariswheel

Not too surprisingly, archaeologist in the 30's aren't too different from todays people: Not too familiar with guns, and very uncomfortable with the idea of being armed.
Most archaeologist usually don't work alone, their part of an expedition.

I do remember reading in National Geographic about a 20's scientist on his own high up in a mountain range in China, waiting for bandits to raid his tent. He was busy readying his two Colt New Service 4" 45 Colts. He intended to give them a warm welcome as they came through the tent flap.
They never made the visit.

DMK

Not too surprisingly, archaeologist in the 30's aren't too different from todays people: Not too familiar with guns, and very uncomfortable with the idea of being armed.
Yea, it's all fun and games until somebody digs up an evil mummy. Then somebody's going to get hurt.

Which segways nicely into what I'd want: Everything Brendon Fraser had!

biere

Isn't the colt monitor a shortened bar?

That would be very nice.

A 1911 would be useful, as would a lovely single action colt. Original of course.

Andrew Wyatt

I'd have to have a 1911 ( or a webley in .455) for my handgun, an SMLE with parker hale aperature rear sights, and a purdey double barrel.