If I'm just getting started...

Harry Callahan

Hey guys,
This reloading thing has me intrigued. Knowing what you know now could you tell me what equipment you would get if you were just starting out again? Also, could you give me a ballpark price of what each component would cost? I'm talking press, dies, powder, everything. TIA.

CrustyFN

I think the Lee classic turret press is a great starter press if 200 rounds per hour will meet your needs. It is very easy for a beginner to setup and operate. It is inexpensive to add calibers to. I have one and am very happy with the ammo it produces. You can buy a kit at www.kempfgunshop.com for $149. If you go to the Lee web site in the video section you can see a video of the classic in action. As far as components I buy in bulk so I get some great prices. I get primers for $16 per thousand and powder for around $11 per pound. Look at http://powdervalleyinc.com/ and https://www.grafs.com/index.php for some good deals on powder and primers. I have also been getting a good deal on Zero bullets at Powder Valley.
Rusty

The Lovemaster

I think I'd probably buy Lee dies instead of RCBS. I find I'm replacing my RCBS with Lee now, solely for ease of adjustment and use. Both products are high quality, but I think the Lees have more innovation and "outside the box" thinking behind them. Examples - adjusting the lock ring is a lot easier on Lee, as there is no lock - just a rubber o-ring. Also, removing a stuck case is a lot easier on a Lee.

On the other hand, I have an old RCBS Rock Chucker press that works great. I also like my RCBS Uniflow powder measure. I have an old Redding scale that does fine. One thing I would definitely recommend, though is a magnetic damped scale.

BigJakeJ1s

Knowing what I know now, including that I'd like reloading and stick with it, I'd buy better equipment to start with. But you don't know that, so I would not suggest that for you.

I'd get the Lee anniversary kit and a set of Hornady (pistol) or Forster (rifle) dies, shell holder, lee case trimmer pilot/gauge and go to town. Learn to use the stuff, and when you're sure the bug has "took", only then start to look at upgrading equipment: better press (Forster co-ax), better powder measure (RCBS quick change uniflow), digital scale, etc.

I don't care for Lee dies (I cannot stand their lock-less rings that never stay put); RCBS dies are OK, but Hornady/Forster dies have worked better for me. Redding dies are supposed to be very good, but I have not tried them.

Then if you really start loading a lot, get a Hornady LNL AP progressive press.

Andy

eagle1505

Welcome

Hi, and welcome to the fun and economic world of reloading. I own and operate a gunshop in southern Missouri and i get this inquiry almost daily. Everyone has their opinion but as far as equipment goes it's best to go with one of the kits that all major manufacturers currently offer. It's much cheaper than buying all the equipment separately. I recommend the RCBS rock chucker kit. It has everything you need to start reloading and will last a lifetime. I use it myself and load everything from 9mm to 330 dakota. As far as dies go i have about every makers dies but when i need new ones i usually buy lee die sets, both for their cost and the fact that each set includes the correct shellholder. They've never let me down yet. I also use and recommend a digital powdwer scale. The bar scales are fine but the digital scale saves time and provides for incredibly accurate powder measuring. If you wish to buy a tumbler, Graf & Sons have a tumbler that i have used for years and have cleaned literally hundreds of thousands of casings because i buy, clean and resell once fired brass. I find the walnut media lasts the longest. Hope this info is a help.:D

imdarren

$20 ABC's of reloading book.
$125 RCBS Rock Chuck Press
$40 Set of Dies (RCBS or Redding)
$50 Beam Scale (Balance type) or $100 Electronic.
$30 Hand primer press (Primer Installer)

$20 per 100 Bullets (Roughly)
$18 for 1lb powder
$3.50 for 100 primers
$20 per 100 brass for hand guns $30 (AVG) per 100 brass rifles.

You can always buy used for roughly 1/2 price.
These are ball park figures.

The Lovemaster

Methinks he's talking rifle bullets, e.g. that's a pretty good price for 30 caliber bullets.

My local prices range from $23 for 500 lead 115 grain 9mm bullets to over $40 for 100 30-cal high-end Hornady's. YMMV.

shooter_john

I'm thinking that is for rifle bullets too... If you buy Berry's Bullets from Cabela's, you can get 250 pistol bullets for any caliber (last time I looked anyway) for less than $20. $20 for 100 rifle pills is becoming rare unless its .224's :mad:.
I have found ammobrasstrader.com to be a great thing, I have made a lot of great trades, and gotten a lot of good stuff without paying a dime other than shipping.

whiplash

Harry Callahan...now thats got to be one of the best "handles" Ive seen in a long time...Anyway, if you can pick up a copy of Cabelas Shooting/Reloading catalog, that will give you a good starting point to see what those and other items cost. Yes the RCBS rock chucker kit will definately get you started, along with other similar kits. One good tip....stick around forums like these. There is a lot of good advice out there, but also very little bad advice. Have fun, and be carefull because its addicting:D

The Lovemaster

shooter_john said:
I'm thinking that is for rifle bullets too... If you buy Berry's Bullets from Cabela's, you can get 250 pistol bullets for any caliber (last time I looked anyway) for less than $20.

You haven't been to Cabela's lately, my friend! Their prices went through the roof around the first of the year, and those days you remember are gone for a good long time. :(

About the best prices you can find now are lead bullets ordered in bulk online.

zxcvbob

Examples - adjusting the lock ring is a lot easier on Lee, as there is no lock - just a rubber o-ring.

I hate those Lee lock rings. (I like Lee dies though) So I generally put up with the Lee rings on my pistol sizing dies and expanding dies, because those are so quick and easy to adjust, and use Lyman or Forster lock rings on my seating and crimping dies. I don't do full length resizing on any bottleneck rifle cartridges yet; those would also need a lock ring that stays put once you get it adjusted just right.

BigJimP

I've owned a variety of presses over the years RCBS, etc - but knowing what I know now I would invest again in the Dillon XL 650 (if you are totally starting from scratch - scale, vibrating cleaner, etc - you'll spend about $ 1200 - $1500 to get set up with a press and all the accessories. 8 lbs of powder, a case of bullets, primers - will cost you another $ 500 or so.

The deal breaker for me - is buy a press that has a powder check system on it. It gives you that little extra security that you have the right amount of powder - no cases without powder / and no double charges. Time is a factor - and staying with a progressive press that will turn out 15 - 20 boxes an hour is a good thing.

CrustyFN

You can still buy Zero FMJ pistol bullets at Powder Valley for under $70 per thousand. I have been buying quite a few from them.
Rusty

Edward429451

My first single stage press was (is) a RCBS Rockchucker. Approaching 25 years old and never had even a hint of a problem with it. Would I buy it again knowing what I know now? I'm thinking of buying another right now anyway.

My first progressive press is a Dillon RL550B. ~10 yrs old now. Had a slight problem with it once. Called the Dillon guys and they told me which screw was loose.:eek::D