If I put Eagle Secret Service grips on my S&W 642, will it be 1 oz. lighter?

mini14jac

If I put Eagle Secret Service grips on my S&W 642, will it be 1 oz. lighter?

I read a while back that the Eagle grip was 1 oz. lighter than the boot grip that comes on a 642.

If that's the case, I'd have a 14oz. .38 for a tad over $400.
That's almost as good as a 12oz. .357 for $650. :eek:

Can anybody verify this?

mini14jac

Thanks for the replies.

It's not my hand I'm worried about. :D

I do think 1 ounce would make a difference in all day pocket carry.

It may not be worth the $60 for 1/2 ounce though.

I really need to just bite the bullet, and get the 340PD that I've been fantasizing about. :rolleyes:

Gonzo_308

Yes it will be one oz lighter but it wont have all the coolerific nukular symobology on the sideplate so...

(Who knew laser engraving cost so much)

j-framer

Hello mini14jac,

Though I haven't done any weighing, I have checkered ebony Secret Service Eagles on one of my j-frames. I purchased them about a month ago after much deliberation because of all the negative reviews about Eagle floating around; I was fortunate to get a pair that fit very nicely. They are wonderful carry grips if you get a good pair, as small as you can go (particularly with respect to palm swell), but still offering decent purchase on the gun. And for carry, wood beats rubber every time.

Anyway, as others have said, I really don't think you will even notice the small weight difference. I've owned a fair number of boot grips for j-frames, and Craig Spegels are probably the largest/heaviest in my opinion, but even so, still very small. I'd get the Eagles--but don't blame me if you get a bad pair and have fitting nightmares, as it seems many others have :eek: .

j-framer

But, I should say as well, if you are going to pocket carry, splurge and get the 340PD. You will not regret it. Though I do not pocket carry, I have two Airlites and never ceased to be amazed every time I pick them up. The feather weight is without doubt worth the hundreds of dollars more in my opinion, if your situation forces weight considerations upon you.

I think the lightest grips are the hogue bantams....and they sure do help control the recoil...I find wood makes the gun feel like a hammer hitting my hand...

bulbboy

I have purchased 4 sets of grips from Eagle grips and each time they have been perfect. So be careful what you read - happy people don't post as often as unhappy people!

As to the 642, yeah you won't notice the difference but they sure feel better in your hand!! For my 642, I got some badger grips from www.grips4guns.com
and my rugers all have Eagles "Secret Service" style.
sw642.jpg

my Ruger SP101s w/ eagle grips
IMG_4706.jpg

rugersp101.jpg

Deaf Smith

Tell you the truth, I don't care if it makes my J's lighter or heavier. Secret Service grips are the way to go! And yep, I have several, K and J's with SS boot style grips.

mini14jac

I am really leaning toward the 340PD for pocket carry.

I did carry a 642 while out in the city Saturday night, and never noticed it in my pocket.

But, I am sure carrying a gun that was a few ounces lighter would be nice.

mini14jac

I finally got an email back from Eagle Grips.

According to them, the Secret Service grips weigh .8 oz.
Now I've just got to weigh the boot grips that came on the 642, and see what the difference is.

I'll let you know! :D

Deaf Smith

Mini,

I just put Eagle Ebony SS grips on my 340PD (checkered ones at that) and they are COOL. I doubt being maybe .1 oz lighter is of any benefit but I DO know the wood does not bunch up the clothes like plastic or rubber and thus it conceals better and is faster to get a grip (might not be as 'theoreticaly' stable as the rubber, but it's mighty good when shooting.)