if Clinton wants a positive legacy...

bk40

he could address the nation today (Fri) in this truly chaotic situation and say something along the lines of-

My fellow Americans, the people have spoken at the ballot boxes across our great nation. When the recount in Florida is completed and certified and all absentee ballots are tabulated a week from today (Fri 11/17), I ask both Gov Bush and VP Gore to accept the results (whatever they may be) and not to challenge the results in our judicial system.

The time is now for doing what is right for our country and not our political ties or aspirations. Gov Bush and VP Gore have fought a long and hard campaign and they are both to be commended for their desire and views, tho different, on making America a better place for all its citizens.

Our process for electing Presidents may not be perfect, but it is a system that has worked for more than 200 years. I implore both men and their parties to accept the results and work towards bringing our people together... put aside partisan politics and do the right thing for the United States of America.

As one nation we have great strength in our diversity and our possiblites are limitless... if we allow ourselves to be divided we stand to lose... well, lets just say we as a people do not want to consider this option.

I would urge every American to stop and take a deep breath. Emotions are running understanbly high in this moment of uncertainity. We can and me must come together as one people and do what is in the best interests of every American.

Thank you and God bless.....

••••••
I know its very naive to consider this actually happening, but it occurred to me tonite that this a once in a lifetime opportunity for WJC to stand up and actually be a leader + it would give him a truly significant legacy he seems to crave so much.

Now is the time for Heroes and true statesman to step forward and diffuse a situation I feel has a very real possibility of ripping this country apart in a way that can never be healed. My "little" speech was written on the fly but Clinton as President is the one person who can step in and make a difference.

-------
better days to be

MrBigglesworth

This would truly be very helpful. But it isn't gonna happen.

Remember when Clinton was campaigning for Gore he said that if Gore gets elected it is the next best thing to a 3rd Clinton term. : :puke::

------------------
Try to take away my gun...and you will see my 2nd Amendment Right in ACTION!!! -Me

TRAVELER'S ADVISORY - PALM BEACH COUNTY, FL- Motorists beware - over 19,000 residents unable to follow the arrows.

RH

I agree. I'm glad I scanned the topics prior to posting a dupe.

This is his last chance at a lasting legacy. There will not be a lasting peace agreement in Israel before January. The dotcom economy is beginning to come apart at the seams.

He can continue to be a partisan hack, or be a real statesman. Of course the Democratic party regulars would despise him for ever, but all he cares about is power & his legacy anyway. The press would crown him Saint Bill for rising above partisan bickering, he can say he did it on the sage advice of the junior Senator-elect from NY, and his legacy lives on as a statesman and King (in this case Queen)-maker.

When the tide of public opinion turns to "moving on", watch for him to do this amid much fanfare. Besides, he never liked Algore anyway.

------------------
Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God.
1 Peter 2:16.

hksigwalther

bk40, what, are you on crack? (j/k) Larry Flint and Pol Pot had more honor and dignity than billy.

------------------
- Ron V.

Jeff Thomas

Very good observation, and you're right, of course.

Much as I hate the SOB, he is an intelligent human being. And, if his intelligence ruled, he would make the speech you've drafted.

However, my guess is that his ego and other parts of his anatomy will rule the day. He'll never make such a speech. I'd vote for something more along the lines of a feeble gesture to Bush, and a call to the party faithful to nail the Republicans.

Regards from AZ

Rob Pincus

I heard a similar sugestion on a conservative radio show yesterday and I had to admit to myself that IF Clinton did take the high road, even if it was for the sake of his own "Legacy," I would have to change my opinion about him, at least a little.

The suggestion was that he take his role as the leader of the Democratic Party and publicly "advise" Gore, his staff, and all Democrats to stand down if the final Florida tally shows Bush as the winner.

We can only hope that Clinton could be so engrossed in his own political success that he would "sell-out" his own party... the very people that have bowed to him for years... at this most critical juncture...