IDPA Which One ?

Poodleshooter

Whaddya got? Let us pick from a list...
Myself, I'll probably shoot my GP100 for the next IDPA match, as I can't really do worse than I did in my last SSP outing with my Glock30 :rolleyes:

E. BeauBeaux

I don't have, that's the problem. My revolver selection is lacking. The one's I do have won't work due to caliber or barrel length. I really enjoy the Blackhawk but that won't work. So I'll be buying, if those in the know come up with one that work's best.

Jim Watson

1. S&W 625 with light roundnose .45 loads.
2. Any S&W, Colt, or Ruger 4" .38/357 with a smooth DA.

The 625 has an edge with moonclip reloads if you don't mind the size of the gun.

I have shot a M25-2 cut off to 4" like a 625, a M686, a M19, and a Python in side-by-side comparison and what I gain on the clip loads I lose in handling of the big, tall, heavy gun. But I do not have big strong hands. Two of the best revolver shooters of my acquaintance use 625s. Another shoots a S&W K-frame of some sort, another a M581, and still another good man shoots a Python. The guy who shoots a GP101 with Magnums has the most fun, even though he is not quite as fast as the rest of us shooting Minor loads. I have done best with the Python, based on several years experience of PPC shooting before the L-Smiths came out, but wish S&W would make a heavy-barreled 4" M19.

Taurus has 9mm and .45 clipguns in the works, and Dan Wesson may, but don't hold your breath. Get a current model gun and go shooting.

Lots of practice on DA shooting and moonclip or speedloader reloads.

E. BeauBeaux

Thank's Jim, sound's like you've been down this road a time or two. lol. Look's like you are a fan of moonclip's over speedloaders. I appreciate you sharing the knowledge, will be making a trip to the local shop Saturday to see what they have that you suggested.

Jim Watson

I joined IDPA in 1997 and shot one full year in each Division, and have started back around again. I will likely stick with my 1911 in CDP for serious competition, though. It is the ony one I have made Expert with.

I am not a big fan of the moonclip, per se. It IS faster on the reload and ensures that all the empties go out together on the unload; you can't trap a single case under the extractor.

But the N-frame gun is big and awkward for me. I did most of my SSR with a Jungkind Python and Comp II speedloaders. If you can handle it, by all means get the 625, but don't discount the .38s.

S&W had a good idea with the 646 .40 cal L-frame, but they beat themselves with an expensive titanium cylinder and wobbly clips. There are people shooting 610s with clipped .40s and liking it. But that makes an even heavier gun. And I think the .45 and its heavy roundnose bullet gets the most out of the clip system. I had a 686 converted for clipped .38s before the BoD disallowed it. I think the long, skinny, relatively lightweight rounds neutralized much of the advantage of the clips. Which is why you see .38 Short Colts in clips for ICORE and a .38 Super revolver out of the PC. Better a spring-loaded speedloader like the Comp III or SL Variant for .38 Spl.

Like I said, I would like to see a heavy-barreled M19. A friend has a heavy barrelled k-38 that he shoots in PPC Distinguished and I think that in 4" would be a good IDPA gun. And in 9mm for clip use.

E. BeauBeaux

I saw the new rule date in the book. Appreciate the reminder. I'm trying to cover myself so when I purchase it will be right with the rules and something that will work for me. Not that I'll make it my primary, I would just like to try for the 4 gun classification.

charleym3

If you are not in a hurry, S&W is going to be coming out with a true 9mm revolver. 4inch, 6 round, built on the 586 L frame. If Ruger had any sence at all they would too. If you can't wait, then get a 625, have the chambers chamfered and a Wolff mainspring installed. You won't believe the difference.

Turtle Bob

WOW YA MEAN THEY ARE!!

now what is this about S&W coming out with a 9mm rev.... ok tell me what.... 3" K frame SS round butt, with moonclips fixed sights, fiber opt. front sight, lt wt barrel, bobbed hammer, dbl action only... please tell me that is what is coming...

Jim Watson

Calm down, Turtle Bob, that's not what he said.

charleym3, what is the source of your information that "S&W is going to be coming out with a true 9mm revolver. 4inch, 6 round, built on the 586 L frame?" I'd rather a K frame, but the L would likely sell. The hotrodders would have a field day rechambering them to 9x23, also.

Boo586

All they need to do is reintroduce the 547 as the 647 (stainless version) drop the special ejector for rimless catridges and use full moonclips. BY the way the 547 was a K-Frame and came in square and round butt configurations. If S&W decided to put the 9mm in a L-Frame it will most likely be a 7-shot and not a 6 shot.

TK Customs already does full-moonclip conversions on 6 shot S&W 686's and converts thems to shoots 38 super, 9x23 and 9x19.

Boo586

moonclips.com is the TK Customs site

M1911

S&W is going to be coming out with a true 9mm revolver. 4inch, 6 round, built on the 586 L frame.

L frame? Why use such a honking big frame for a 9mm? K-frame would make more sense to me. What I'd prefer would be a shortened J-frame -- the 9mm round is so much shorter than the .38 that the cylinder could be shorter.

M1911

E. BeauBeaux

Any timetable on the 9mm? That would be worth the wait. This is not a rush out and buy type thing. Sure didn't know about the 9 possibility.

arnie

I emailed S&W about 6 months ago and begged them to make a 9mm K frame that uses moon clips. They emailed back that they had no plans to do so.

Jim Watson

Boo,
It would be simple enough for S&W to do as you describe. I have shot a 547 and it worked ok but had a notably tough DA. But they would have to be convinced there was a market. I don't think the 10% or so of IDPA members who shoot SSR, plus ICORE, plus IPSC Revolver, plus some plinkers would amount to enough potential customers for them to tool up after having been burnt on the 547 and the 940.

And you can't shoot a TK conversion in IDPA even if Richard Heinie does like his.

I have it on fair authority that Taurus is willing and preparing to give it a try, but don't hold your breath, it takes time for any sizeable company to run a new product to market, and gun makers are more cautious than most.

Boo586

I know you can't shoot a conversion in IDPA. I was just stating what was already out there. It would be nice if you could though.

I agree on cost for re setting up the line, but I really do think there is a market and so does S&W or they would of never came out with the model 610 in 10 mm with a 4 inch barrel specifically for IDPA and also a 40 S&W caliber on the L-Frame with a four inch barrel. I have to admit though, it is probably easier to tool for a straight wall cartridge than it is a tapered round.

All I know is, I would order one of the 9mm's if it was

1. K-frame with shortened cylinder
2. Round Butt
3. Blued (prefered but stainless okay)
4. 3" barrel

Dream Guns!!!

Boo586

charleym3

Alright I'll tell you what I've heard.
At IDPA nationals last year, S&W displayed for approximately 1 hour a 586 in 9mm. The individual that gave me the information is sponsored by S&W. The prototype had tapered chambers rather than a straight bore through. The barrel and cylinder were correctly bored for the 9mm.
The information is second hand, but this individual has given me bleeding edge second hand information in the past that proved abosolutely correct though sometimes not very timely.