IDPA w/ 3" 45?

KFDiesel

Im going to start shooting IDPA. Would like to use my Ultra Tactical II Kimber. The barrell is only 3 inches but I love shooting it. Problem is im having a bit of trouble finding a good holster that is IDPA compliant (new rules). Any recommendations? Also any reason to ditch using this gun and go with something else?

Jim Watson

Blade Tech makes Kydex holsters for the short guns.

No reason not to campaign your little gun, it will be good exercise with a good carry gun. My club has a guy who frequently shoots one of those little SA EMPs.

RickB

I shot a compact .45 for one season, and gave it up because I preferred to score well. Seriously, I went from often winning my division, to finishing mid-pack in class. No doubt it was a good epxerience, in terms of getting more familiar with my carry gun, but I try to at least shoot to the best ability, even if my ability isn't the best, and I couldn't begin to do it with a compact gun and 7-round mags. I used either a FIST holster, of the Bruce Nelson/Askins Avenger style (I think it's called something like the #2 Sport Holster), and a Kramer IWB that's intended for a 5" gun; with the latter, the gun couldn't tell the difference.

nass

The Kimber Ultra Tactical is my carry piece. I run it every once in a while at practice to grow more and more comfortable with it. I use any of my 5" gaming holsters for practice. Sometimes I will use my carry setup just to make sure I remember the feel of leather draw.

I second Rick's comments on it not being the best for scoring, but it is really good for you if it is a carry piece. In some respects it may make you better with a 5" because you have to have good sight control with the 3".

Run it hard. Good luck.

evan1293

Im pretty sure comp-tac makes a holster for an officer's model. If so give them a try. They may be pricier than others, but the quality is well worth it.

HighVelocity

Get one for a commander sized gun. It'll only be a weeeee bit longer than you need but if you ever get a 4 or 4.25" gun, you won't have to get another holster. ;)