Identification Issue--Eddystone

101guns

I was given an Eddystone 1917 Enfield...The barrel has no markings whatsoever. Was told it is a 30-06. It will chamber a round. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Doyle

Model 1917 was indeed 30-06. Two major manufacturers - Eddystone and Remington. There may have been some smaller ones also but I can't recall. I killed my first deer in college with a borrowed 1917.

Even thought the 1903 and 1903/A3 were the "official" US rifles of WWI, I have heard that more soldiers actually used the 1917. After WWI, the 1917s were used as training rifles all the way up through WWII then most were sold off through the CMP.

csmsss

The M1917 was indeed fielded in much greater numbers by American troops in WWI, and performed yeoman service. The 1903 Springfield may be a sexier piece, and in the right hands is more accurate, but the M1917 served our troops extremely well in that conflict. And the action is far, far sturdier than the Springfield's, if you're looking to convert to a stouter cartridge than the .30-06.

jrothWA

HOLD_UP there folks!!

Remember, both Remington & Winchester were contractors for supplying the P14 British .303 rifle prior to switch to the U.S. Rifle, Model of 1917.

I have seen Winchester that was in .3006 that was accepted by the WAR Dept, before all inspection procedure were finialized..

SO, we need some photo's of the top reciver ring surface to see what markings are visible.

Have your noticed a "broad arrow' marking anywhere on the rifle surface.
If so, THEN might be a .303..

Best way is to have a smith do a chamber cast and measure against known chamber drawing, THEN you wil know for sure.

M4Sherman

If I remember right 30-06 will not chamber in a p-14 since it is longer and has a smaller rim but I could be wrong

heliflyer

I was given an Eddystone 1917 Enfield...The barrel has no markings whatsoever. Was told it is a 30-06. It will chamber a round. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Eddystone was a subsidary of Remington, when the P-17 was being manufactured.

The Eddystone receiver is known to be glass hard. That doesn't mean weak, it just means extremely hard.

A gunsmith, at a place I worked, used to hate to drill and tap an Eddystone for scope mounts.

They're, the P-17, is supposed to be hard to sporterize, however, they're known as one of the best receivers to use for large magnum cartridges when doing a conversion.

Bill

Slamfire

An all original M1917 won't have 30-06 stamped on it anywhere. There was no need because troops used the ammunition they were issued.

Technically, no such critter as a P 17.

P is British for Pattern.

American nomenclature is M, for Model.

That said, as I understand it, the barrels SHOULD have at least a minimal set of markings. Are you sure it's a military barrel and not an aftermarket replacement?