Ideas for a new Subcompact or micro semi

simonrichter

Maybe you folks have any suggestions in this: I consider swapping my Taurus PT22ply for another small semi. I'd like either something in the samesize range but with more punch and in 9mm so I can use the same ammo as my main handgun OR something in 22 or 25 still, but considerably smaller. Any ideas? :)

PewPewPachew

I am also very pleased with the Sig P938's I have shot. However a lot of people I know, do not like them. The pistol just doesn't fit well in their hand, or something. They claim it "wants to jump right out of their hands".

For myself, I have not had that issue with them. With cheap 115gr fmj range ammo, most have grouped around 3" at 5 yards. That opened up to 6-7" during rapid fire. In a carry pistol that size, is more than acceptable IMO.

One thing to watch out for, is the variety of trigger pull you might get. I haven't seen too extreme of a case myself, such as some guys reporting 12+lbs. However, I have picked up two different P938's side by side. One had a pull of somewhere around 5-6lbs (I don't keep my finger calibrated, sorry). The one next to it was probably closer to 9lbs.

redlightrich

Kimber has a micro 9mm. It looks like a miniature 1911. I handled the gun and it really is small. It seems well made, but being I can't carry in NJ, I decided against it.

Good luck

TruthTellers

Never gonna find a 9mm that small that's as comfortable to shoot. You're going to have to make the decision between the size of the gun or the larger, more powerful cartridge.

I think .380 is fine for a more powerful, micro sized pistol. Lots of options out there for .380 that will fit the small size you're looking for.

wizzamen

Do a Google search for pocket auto comparison chart. Click on the first google docs pdf, I believe this chart will help you.

Personally, I am happy with a Ruger LCP in .380. The LCP has been my favorite pocket pistol, a little challenging to shoot accurately at the beginning but I got the hang of it.

My second choice would be a Sig P238, a little heavier than the LCP but more comfortable to shoot. I picked the LCP first because of its low weight, it just disappears in my pocket.

I can understand you not wanting to buy another caliber, but I find that the smallest 9mm pistols are going to be larger and heavier than your Taurus PT22 poly.

MandolinMan

Would you mind sharing what your main handgun is?

I'll recommend the Sig P938 or P238 as well. But then if your main carry gun does not have a manual safety, this might not be the best choice.

Edit: Just noticed your signature. If the Glock 17 is your primary carry gun, then it certainly makes sense to stay within the Glock family.

simonrichter

Thanks so far... Yes, maybe I'll simply have to bite the bullet and add another caliber to my Arsenal

Any suggestions for something considerably small er than the PT22, though? IF I decide to bring in a third caliber besides 9mm and .22, I could as well consider a .25 option - yet I'm not aware if anything in that caliber that is not already outdated in terms if trigger and materials used...

JERRYS.

read post #5. money is usually an issue for working folks, so its one of the best suggestions you'll find here. I like the Seecamp guns but they are more expensive.

FITASC

In the vein with the Seecamp and Boberg, there is the Rohrbaugh - smallest 9mm, expensive, can be ammo finicky; but the originals (not the new Remington version) were very well made and respected. Otherwise a 32 like the aforementioned Keltec (or Seecamp), the Ruger LCP (my choice for small pocket gun) or, in .25, an old Colt vest pocket hammerless. I have one and while not ideal, is better than harsh words.

Cheapshooter

Considerably smaller than a 22Poly might be pretty tough to find. Unless you want to consider one of the NAA Mini-Revilvers. In which case you could even step up to 22 Magnum chambering.
I think Bill DeShives has a good suggestion for you to look at. The Kel-Tec P32 is somewhat smaller than your 22Poly. Certainly slimmer, and chambered in the more powerfull, and reliable 32 ACP round.

simonrichter

hm, thanks, it seems indeed that the smaller than the PT22ply there is only very old stuff, like aforementioned Colt Vest Pocket or the Baby Browning... All the other pistols mentioned above like the P32 or the RM380 are actually larger than the PT22 (length-wise, might be they are thinner)

Cheapshooter

Yes, the P32 is three tenths of an inch longer. But a full three quarters on an inch shorter in height. Owning both the 22Poly feels noticeably bigger. Probably due to the much bulkier grip than the super thin, and short Kel-Tec grip.

Last edited:

Bill DeShivs

There is nothing wrong with used guns. There are Browning, Astra, Beretta, Bernardelli guns, along with many other quality pocket pistols. Some are available in .22 short also.
None of the above could be considered outdated in any way.
You won't find a pocket auto smaller than the Browning or Bernardelli. The Browning is made in the USA as the PSP .25.

simonrichter

@cheapshooter: you're right about that, even after so many years in this forum, I still have a hard time with imperial system measures :p

Anybody any experience with the Kahr P380? If I have to go for another caliber anyway, this might be a considerable Option - it is very small and I very much like a Kombination of striker + DAO...

SMITH910

I have the Kahr CT380 and love it. It's the "right" size! Just a bit bigger than the P380 with a much better feel to it fitting the hang just a bit more.