Ideas are welcomed...

Yoosta B. Blue

We have a wedding anniversary coming up in a few weeks, and I have been thinking of getting the wife (heh heh) a new gun for the occasion. She has very small hands and has trouble racking the slide on most semiautos that she's handled. Thus, I think I'd better think in terms of a wheel gun.

I have an SP-101 (.357, 3") that she likes to shoot .38's in and she's pretty accurate with it. But, it's fairly heavy for its size. If you have something in mind that you can recommend for me to consider, something lightweight, without a prohibitive amount of recoil, I'm open to your thoughts. Thanks!

YBB

Sevens

Hey Blue, I too get the feeling the usual gang here in the H&R area of TFL are a bit more friendly, helpful, a slightly less argumentative and standoffish bunch than perhaps one of the general forums, but this fine question would be MUCH better addressed in the General Handgun or Revolver forum.

The weight/recoil issue in a small recoil is always going to be the old Catch-22. Lighter will always be easier to pack, but the recoil goes up exponentially with it. You've got to pick one the least offensive amongst heavy carry weight, heavy recoil, or weak ammo.

CPTMurdoc30

Give her the gift that has you taking her to a gun store to get what ever firearm she WANTS. Who buys guns for you? I know I buy my own guns. So why is it that women can't buy their own guns?

I am not trying to be harsh on this, but let her pick out the gun she wants not what you think is best for her.

Yoosta B. Blue

Thanks for the replies, folks. I see that I inadvertently posted it here in the reloading section. Sorry. There is some irony in me picking out a gun for my wife. She would not be buying herself a gun as an anniversary present.

YBB

Medicineman

Ya beat me to it! S and W mod 60 .357 with a 3 or 4 inch barrell, load it with the 38 specials for her. But you best make dang sure she wouldn't rather have jewelry.

Keltyke

I have an SP-101 (.357, 3") that she likes to shoot .38's in and she's pretty accurate with it.

If possible, let her pick it out. However, you can steer her to the snubbie S&W Air Weights or Taurus Ultra Lites in .38 spcl. Great guns!

Kreyzhorse

I have an SP-101 (.357, 3") that she likes to shoot .38's in and she's pretty accurate with it.

If she has small hands and likes the SP, I think it is a great gift for her. But, as everyone else has mentioned, I'd let her pick it out.

Smaug

Medicineman said:
...But you best make dang sure she wouldn't rather have jewelry.

Yes. Or you will never live it down. The typical woman would much rather have diamond earrings or something. My wife likes to shoot with me too, but I know she'd rather have diamond earrings than a gun.

She is a doctor, and had just graduated from medical school. Didn't have a decent stethoscope yet. I talked to her about it a bit, researched it a lot, and bought her the one she said she would like. I STILL got flak for making that a birthday present. :mad: Wasn't romantic enough.

fisherman66

There is always a rub. The SP is a heavy revolver, but that sure makes shooting the thing pleasurable. If purse carry is an option the extra weight means little. You should see my wife's purse, as it's boarder-line for checkable luggage. I agree she should be the one selecting the handgun. For best results give her an opportunity to fire the weapon prior to buying. A svelte piece that recoils like a miniature mule might make her hesitant to practice. A semi-auto with a locked breech might make a better choice due to the time stretch of it's recoil. I'm a big fan of revolvers, but if weight and recoil are primary issues then they may not be the best choice; even though I think they are preferable in a self-defense situation due to their point and shoot nature, lack of spring compression issues, and ease of dealing with a FTF.

Lady Godiva

Personally, I'd MUCH rather have a gun than jewelry as an anniversary gift! But then again, I'm usually the exception rather than the norm on a lot of things since I like motorcycles, tattoos, muscle cars and guns. Jewelry just isn't as much fun as all the other hobbies I have! :D

My husband has bought me both of my guns, but I agree that letting HER pick what she likes would probably make her happiest (unless diamond earrings would make her happy).

I have a Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 Special w/2" barrel that I keep in my car as my BG. It kicks pretty hard since it's so light, and definitely a gun only for close-range firing.

I'm sure the experienced folks here have recommended some good ones to look at. :)

clayking

I bought a 4" Nickel Colt Diamondback .38 last year. My wife loves both its beauty and her ability to shoot it with 158gr. target loads...............too light equals recoil..................ck

FEG

In my limited experience, women are not as phased by light weight as men are. For example, my girlfriend and some other ladies I have taught to shoot are intimidated by large, heavy handguns, but they don't seem to mind the light weight of the small snubs.

I too would have her take a long, hard look at the S&W 638 Airweight Bodyguard. Women seem to love this gun. So do men, by the way. I have been carrying one every day since 9/11/01.

(Flame retardant suit ON....)

KyJim

You and/or her need to look at http://www.corneredcat.com/

As a couple have mentioned, the SP 101 may be a bit heavy but that helps soak the recoil and makes it more pleasurable to shoot. I would definitely NOT buy an Airweight without her shooting one.

FEG

I would definitely NOT buy an Airweight without her shooting one.

Yep. I should have made that crystal clear. I think she will like the 638 with something like the Speer Lawman 125 gr load, but I could be dead wrong. Their light weight has some consequences. They sting some folks no matter how they hold them. Never shoot one in SA mode. The guard will slap the you know what out of you. Some of the other models don't give you the option of hurting yourself...

The Meatman

My wife will shoot my 9mm, .357, and most anything else in our case EXCEPT the .38UL. Too much recoil, and it hurts her hands. My dad just bought my mother a KT .380, and she loves it. Easy to chamber a round, and a good purse gun.