Ideal CCW Handgun barrel length? (drawing ease issue)

Futo Inu

OK, here's the deal - the other day, just for kicks, I carried my Springfield longslide 6" bbl .45 as my CCW, in a Milt Sparks yaqui belt slide, all day. To my pleasant surprise, it was extremely easy to conceal (with a jacket, which I wear Monday through Friday all year). The jacket extended a good 2 inches below the end of the barrel, and this is NOT even a high ride holster! Also, the thin-ness of the gun made it perfectly comfortable to wear while driving (at 4:30).

HOWEVER, the only problem, yet large problem, with this gun for CCW (besides the minor issue of sharp edges on the adjustable sight - hard on clothing) is the fact that the very long barrel requires a very deliberate UP motion for a relative long time to clear the holster (even with a speed cut holster), before beginning to change drawing motion to a thrust forward for presentation, which could make the difference between life and death. Also, the related issue is that the longer barrel also increase the chance of the front sight snagging in the holster on the draw as one nears the end of this upward motion and begins the forward presentation thrust (i.e. to prevent snagging, even more time and care must be taken to pull upwards to clear the holster, and more time=bad).

SO, 6" is clearly too long for CCW. But, when is shorter short enough? 5.5, 5, 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3"??? Given that longer barrels= better, in general, at what point does the drawing thing become a non-issue. At what point does the barrel easily clear a speed-cut CCW holster in one smooth fluid motion without particularly concentrating on the draw? Where does the front sight snagging become a complete non-issue? I'm thinking 4" might be perfect compromise, but is 3" even better for clearing leather/kydex in an emergency? Or no appreciable gain there? Or is 5" plenty short to clear? If so, why go shorter? Still in a quandry here...Looking for people with decades of experience carrying, or LEOs, esp. if you've had to draw under pressure (I'm NOT looking for IPSC holster-type experience - not relevent to real world). It would be nice to use a 5" gun for CCW, but don't want to snag up in an actual emergency. If necessary, I'll use a baby glock, Kahr, or 3" Kimber, but would rather not sacrifice bbl length if no need. Thanks. Also, if you're confident that X" barrel length is ideal, then with what specific holster are you using (and also what gun and from what position do you draw)?

KSFreeman

FI, are you a bowler?

I can't imagine barrel length making any difference between #1 and #2 unless you are a bowler. Sign up for Gunsite 250 and report back.

Blackhawk

Cant can help you.

With a forward cant of the holster, you're moving the butt more in line with the barrel giving you the opportunity to just rotate your hand after clearing the holster minimizing the effect of barrel length hindering drawing.

RogerC

The time you are talking about is negligible unless you are going to have a Cowboy quick draw showdown at the OK Corral.

A holster with a sewn in sight channel helps with the draw, especially on longer barrels.

All your worrying about how quick you can draw will get your foot shot off.

Eric Larsen

All points given are correct. Carry position, cant choice, sightrail molded in, dress style all factor in to draw times. How about Cond 1 carry, Thumbbreaks, cross draw etc...they all effect the draw time of most CCW's.
IMO for the fastest/most accessable gun/holster combo for a CCW..if thats what your final question was.... Snub up to a 3" barrel & S/auto up to 4" barrel carried IWB/Belt slide carried on strong side...just behind the hip with an FBI cant is extremely hard to beat for great access and fast draw.
Just my .02 cents
Shoot well

blades67

It really comes down to practice. If you practice with the long slide you'll find that it can be drawn in about the same amount of time as a standard, or shorter length, gun. If you don't practice it won't matter what you're carrying in your holster.

KP95DAO

Longer barrels=better??

Since when?? Not in a defensive handgun. If you participated in IDPA your answer would already have come to you. I know several Master class IDPA shooters who use autos with 4" bbls. Glock 19, 23, Ruger 95. But then the 6" might come in handy if you have to pistolwhip somebody.

hdm25

6"...too long.

5" and less...just fine.

If you like the Springfield, go with a 5" or 4" slide length and carry IWB in a Milt Sparks holster, preferably (to me) a Versa-Max or Watch Six.

Just my opinion.

charleym3

I'm with Eric. For a wheel gun 3 - 3.5 inch barrel. For an auto 4 inch. That said, I carry a Glock 21. 4.6 inch barrel. I've learned to live with it, but I can produce the G19 more smoothly. YMMV.

hdm25

There IS a difference. It might take an average of several draws over time, but it DOES exist. I'm faster with a 4" Champion than I am with a 5" GM out of an OWB holster with no covering garment. From my normal carry position IWB and under a covering garment, I doubt that there's much of a difference.

In any case, we're not gunfighters in some western so it's better to be prepared mentally and be well-practiced and well-trained in whatever weapon and carry method you choose than to look for the fastest time out of a holster.

KSFreeman

Where would the difference factor in?:confused: At #1 the pistol is in the holster and #2 the pistol is horizontal.

Are you saying that the lack of muzzle weight makes a quicker rock and lock???:confused:

hdm25

I had never really thought a lot about it until this thread, but I would guess that it IS the case.

Not sure what your educational background is other than the J.D. so I'll explain it like this...

The longer a lever, the more mechanical advantage you have. When drawing from the holster and rocking the firearm to a horizontal position, you are actually pivoting the piece at the FULCRUM, so you are working AGAINST that mechanical advantage. The farther out the weight is...or the farther out away from you the center of gravity of the slide is, actually...the more effort is required to pivot the firearm to a horizontal position. However slight the extra effort might be, it is still there. There may only be an itty-bitty minute difference in speed, but it will be there. Combine that with the (again minute) extra time that it takes for an extra inch or two of slide to clear the mouth of the holster before it can even begin to pivot upward to the horizontal and you have a slight increase in time that it takes to bring a longer-slided (slid?...you know what I mean) handgun into play.

It might be a difference that could only be told by averaging several times with each slide length, but it WILL be present.

KSFreeman

hdm, hmmm, but the barrel does not become horizontal (the pivot) until #2, rock and lock. It stays there a fraction of a second until #3. A distinction without difference perhaps???

I could see your point if one were commiting the sin of bowling, but not a proper draw stroke.

hdm25

A distinction with LITTLE difference, but not WITHOUT difference.

It might only be measured in hundredths of a second. Even with a proper drawstroke, one does not overcome the laws of physics.