ID Sen: put fears about SB 2099 to rest

DCR

We've all read the (several) threads about SB 2099. Here's what Idaho Senator Mike Crapo wrote to the Twin Falls, ID newspaper.

Makes me dang proud to live here.

Idaho senator opposes gun bill

Writers of several recent letters to the editor in local newspapers have been angered over S.2099, the Handgun Safety and Registration Act. First, let me assure you that I adamantly oppose this legislation, which was introduced by Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., in late February. This legislation is another misguided effort to further erode our constitutionally granted Second Amendment rights, which again I vigorously oppose. I am confident in stating that the entire Idaho congressional delegation would oppose such legislation.

The legislation is currently pending in the Senate Finance Committee, which has jurisdiction over tax legislation. Contrary to what has been printed, S.2099 cannot be enacted without the consent of the full Senate, House of Representatives and the president. In fact, the bill currently has only two co-sponsors. Given the limited number of legislative days remaining in the 106th Congress and the lack of support for this legislation, it is highly unlikely that this bill will be given any consideration either by the Finance Committee or the full Senate. Regardless, I will remain vigilant against efforts like S.2099 that would take away our Second Amendment rights.

It is important that we all let our voices be heard on issues of importance to us, but it is equally important to check the truthfulness of the rumors you are hearing. The particular rumor about S.2099 somehow escaping the constitutional legislative process is making the rounds right now. You can't expect newspapers to fact-check every letter to the editor, which are opinions expressed by the writers. So please don't assume something is true just because it is printed in the newspaper. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions from that. If I can be of assistance in that process, please don't hesitate to call my office and ask questions about a particular bill or issue.

SEN. MIKE CRAPO
Washington, D.C.

:)

Dangus

My representative, Jim Nussle, has basically said the same thing. In a letter I recieved from him, he stated his strong support of the second and his strong opposition of this bill.

I think the outcry is good, it lets them know we are watching them.

------------------
The Alcove

I twist the facts until they tell the truth. -Some intellectual sadist

The Bill of Rights is a document of brilliance, a document of wisdom, and it is the ultimate law, spoken or not, for the very concept of a society that holds liberty above the desire for ever greater power. -Me