IAI M-1 Carbine - what's the skinny?

longeyes

Can anyone give me a sense of the quality of these weapons? I mean the IAI version vs. the G.I. original. If the oldie but goodie is the way to go, what's the best way to get hold of one?

DougB

I don't have an answer, but I'm very interested as well. I've read some very positive reviews of the IAI M1 Carbines (supposed to be a little more accurate than the original GI carbines). But I don't care for the looks of the steel handguard, and a walnut replacement is fairly costly (I think IAI quoted me $40 or $50 for just the handguard). If I wanted an M1 carbine mostly to use and shoot, I'd probably go with the IAI. But the historical interest is a big part of it for me, so I'm leaning more toward a G.I. parts gun in standard military configuration (wood handguard).

I would like to know of a good source of M1 carbines. An outfit in Sacramento California advertises "U.S. Issue .30 Cal M-1 Carbines" in Shotgun News for $159.95 - unfortunately, they can only be sold to law enforcement (I think they were "re-imported" into the U.S. and that was an import requirement). It is frustrating that similar carbines sell for $500 or more to civilians.

Doug

Byron Adams

The IAI M-1 Carbine is superb and very accurate. It is as good or better in construction than the originals. I use WW and PMC FMJ. At 50 yards with no rest, holes are touching, at 100 yards with no rest but using sitting position, all shots are under 3".

scot

I've had one about a month now. I had problems with it not going into battery a lot so tried a new extractor. Seems to have solved that problem. The rear sight was a stamped one and had a loose windage knob. I couldn't figure out why my groups were so bad until I noticed it was drifting a little on every shot. Replaced it with a milled one and solved that problem. After my last outing I noticed the piston nut was loose. Bought a nut wrench and kinda solved that problem. I have to retighten after every outing. Haven't really shot for accuracy yet. Too busy fixing the little problems that have cropped up.

After fixing everything I must say it is a ball to shoot and have no regrets about buying it. I've never shot a real GI one so can't compare.

The store I got mine from had the birch stock/metal handguard, walnut stock/metal handguard and the walnut stock and handguard models.

longeyes

How is the IAI version with hollowpoints? Does it handle them all right? And, speaking of hollowpoints, where can you find them? I saw them listed (Winchester) at wholesalehunter.com but they are over a buck a round. FMJ is fine for target practice but for H/D applications it sounds as if hollowpoints are the choice.

Why hasn't anybody adapted this weapon, by the way, for .223? It would seem to me to answer a crying need.

longeyes

I'm assuming the IAI version can use the old G.I.-issue magazines, right? You never know with "updates" what isn't exactly the same any more.

DUDE

You can get the M1-Carbine from IAI with a walnut stock, and walnut handguard.
If any one would like a photo of what the full wood stock model looks like just e-mail.

PaulTX

I use Remington 110 gr. JSP in my carbine reloads. Remington makes a good bullet and the JSPs are about the same price as their FMJ.

Nanaimo Barr

well, I got a "Universal" m1 from a bud for a good price, and I can consistantly ring the 8 inch disk at 100 meters with it off hand with UMC FMJ, but so far have had no luck getting to feed hand rolled HP's, (Speer 110 HP's), which is dissapointing because I wanted it for a coyote gun. otherwise I really really really REALLY like it

NB

stinx

I have a IAI carbin.When I first got it, the headspace was off. I sent the gun back ti IAI. I got it back in about a week and a half. They replaced the bolt,barrel and abunch of other stuff. The gun shoots fantastic. I average about 3 inch groups with it at 100 yards with ammo it likes. I am very pleased with mine and would recomend them.

There is at least one for sale at Auction Arms.

I really like mine. Haven't had any trouble. Just wish that there was some CHEAP source of ammunition.

Byron Adams

IAI M1 Carbine

In regard to ammo cost, the gunstore I go to sells PMC or WW USA FMJ at under $10 a box of 50. The Remington SP is about $21. I am comforatable with the FMJ and plan not to reload.

darogue1

good.........

Have had mine for a little while now and it is good. Yes you can use all those magazines already out there in these guns. Have zero problems with it so far. I would say buy it. I load it with soft points as mentioned above. Never saw JHP for it. In my area the soft point was hard enough to find. Only one dealer had it at a local gun show. Hope this helps..........DAROGUE1

Starsfan

Kenneth,

The last show I went to in Mesquite, Texas had some decent deals on .30 Carbine ammo. One guy was selling cases of it for $80/500 rounds, or $150/1000 rounds. It's new FMJ Sellier & Bellot ammo.

My buddy bought two cases to feed his Inland. I've shot his rifle with this ammo, and it's VERY reliable, and pretty accurate. We were shooting at balloons we blew up (literally :) ) at 100 yards while shooting from a standing position.

Buy some if you can find it. It's good stuff IMO.

Shoot safe, Stars