I99i Colt 1911 Good BUY?

tonyz

One of the Smiths that I use is going to sell a 1991 full size Colt 45 that he used for a project gun in Smithing School. He has installed a Match bushing, Adjusted the barrel hood for a nice tight lockup, and installed a vidicky? trigger and trigger job. He also reblued it to a real nice looking almost black finish. The gun is 100% with box and all original papers.
I have only been shooting the 1911 platform for about a year. I have a Kimber Custom Eclipes Target II that I love.

Any advise?? about this Model and Make of pistol or any comments about what I have described would be very welcome.

Asking price is $490.00

Tony

John Lawson

It all depends on what YOU think when you hold it in shooting position. The price is OK. But, do the modifications work for you? For example, is the trigger span comfortable, or do you wish the trigger were shorter? Does the tight lockup open and close smoothly or is there a pronounced catch before final lockup?
What do you feeel about the finish? You will have to look at it for years, so figure it all out now rather than later.
The pistol is basically sound. If the modifications are properly done, it should shoot to point of aim. If not, you will have to install different sights.

pogo2

$490 is pretty cheap for a NIB Colt .45 auto with all those modifications. I would be very tempted, myself.

kahrma

Quote:
"One of the Smiths that I use is going to sell a 1991 full size Colt 45 that he used for a project gun in Smithing School."

:eek:

How can it be 100% if it is reblued? Sounds like 0% to me but I know what you mean;)

Why is he selling a gun that he learned his craft on? Ask him if he will give some type of garauntee. Try to find out his general attitude toward this gun, is he proud of it or does he just want to unload it?

Well Kahrma, anyone who has been to a good smithing school knows that they make you do it right and you do it over and over until you get it right.

It sounds like a good deal to me and Videki's are the best triggers on the market. I'll bet it's a tack driver! See if you can test drive it.:p

tonyz

kahrma

Yes the gun feels good in my hand, The trigger could not be much better, as for the refinish, I like the blueing he did much better then the original Blueing.
You are right about the color if it were stainless I probably would have bought it by know.

John Lawson

As to the work, it looks top notch. Slide open's and close's smoothly. He showed me and explained to me exactly what
he had done. He has no problem with me test firing the pistol.
I misunderstood him about why he did the work. The pistol is one that he did for himself as a sleeper. He said he whated a stock looking Colt 1991-A that would be a tack driver. But has fired it only a few times.
What I should have said is that it looks unfired and as NIB.
I called him back to ask him some of the ? you folks asked me. He made the buy a little sweeter, it a personal gun not one of his retail ones so no tax. 490.00 out the door.

Dam it a hard choice. Are the colts known for reliable feeding of SWC?

Tony

auto45

My 1991A1 that I bought 3-4 years ago is very reliable with a 200 gr. LSWC with no gunsmithing to the feed ramp or extractor. I did add an extended ejector since the stock one was loose anyway!

Good luck.