I went back to the reloading basics with my Rock Chucker

randyc74

I started reloading around 30 years ago with an RCBS Rock Chucker and Uniflow powder measure. I have no idea how may thousands of pistol rounds I reloaded with that setup.
In the early 1990’s I purchased my first Dillon Square Deal B press. Five years ago I added a second Square Deal press.

After getting my first square Deal press, I boxed up my Rock Chucker and did all my reloading on the Dillons. .

I recently sold both my Square Deal presses and purchased a 550B through Brian Enos. While setting up my new 550B I pulled the old Rock Chucker press out and decided to set it up. I also found my old Lee hand press and hand primer.

I reload mostly .9mm and .40 cal. and to a lesser degree .45 Cal.. I set my 550B up for reloading 9mm and 40 cal’s. I using my Lee hand press and hand primer to deprime, resize, set primers, and bell my .45 cal brass. These operations I do while relaxing in front of the television. At my bench,I drop the powder and seat the bullets with my Uniflow powder measure and Rock Chucker press.
As much as I love my new 550B Dillon press, I’m really enjoying going back to the reloading basics with my Lee hand press, hand primer, Uniflow and Rock Chucker press.

David Wile

Hey Randy,

I used single stage presses for nearly 40 years, and then I bought a Hornady L&L AP progressive press when they first came out in 1997. I really like the Hornady progressive press a whole bunch, but unlike you, I never put my single stage presses away. I continued to reload single stage as well as progressive - depending on what kind of job I was doing. The same thing is true with my shotshell reloading; I still use single stage as well as progressive presses. I don't know how anyone can get along without at least one single stage press. Enjoy your old press along with the progressive.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

howlnmad

I've got two single stages and a turret, they all stay mounted. I've got an aluminum Lee press that I bought years ago that I do all my decapping in. I've got a Lee cast iron that I do my rifle rounds in and the Lee classic cast turret for pistol rounds. I'm to anal compulsive to use a Dillon speed machine.

Bailey Boat

I don't think you ever "out grow" or lose need for a single stage press. I have my RC from the late 60's and it is still in use at least monthly, sometimes more depending on need. What cracks me up is the price sticker on the box from the hardware store when I bought it, $79.99...... That was a LOT of money back then!!!!!

Sevens

20+ years ago, I did quite a volume of loading in about a year's time on my Mec-650, a progressive shotshell reloader. I was loading 20 gauge skeet loads.

I got in to a rhythm with it and I had it running like a well-oiled machine. Every day after school, I would turn out a box or two of shells. I shot skeet twice a week, 8-10 rounds of skeet each week. So I could turn out shells with it that never once failed me and I broke more than my share of birds considering the hack that I was as a high school kid on the skeet field. Adjusting the primer feed, making sure I was always dumping powder and shot and getting the crimp right, all of it was part of the game and I never got frustrated with it.

I enjoyed every crank on that machine and though I still have the 650, it quite literally hasn't been out of the box since I took it off my load bench in the late summer of 1990. Just don't shoot shotgun any more.

My point is that even though I've been doing metallic handgun loading for all the years in between, and every single round of it has been single stage, I'm quite familiar with exactly what it's like to load progressively.

I do all my loading (17 different calibers) on a Lee Classic Cast, single stage. And I have absolutely no plans to "upgrade" to progressive.

Without a doubt, it's every bit as much a hobby as a way to feed my shooting with ammo. More so, in fact.

If someone gave me a progressive machine, I would have a blast with it. But I would probably dedicate it to 9mm and forget about it, using it only for blasting ammo in 9mm. All my real handloading would be as it always has been -- single stage.

More than anything, I hate the idea of feeding a progressive machine. And I know that with the ammo cabinet bursting with loaded rounds, I would burn through ammo simply because I have it.

I have no valid reason to get a progressive press. And I know that for many folks, it's the ONLY way they'll load. I fully support them in their situation but for me, single stage is really all I want. And it's not because I'm apprehensive about progressive at all -- I had a great experience with progressive.

nogo

I continue to load on 40 year old single stage and turret presses. I have several of each type--all bought used in nice condition. Also I've acquired a variety of powder measures the same way. I enjoy giving reloading tools to responsible young shooters to get them started in reloading. The old stuff has little resale value now, so good deals can be found.

My opinion is that learning to reload on single stage tools and having to perform various tasks by hand gives us insights and knowledge that we might miss otherwise.