I Went Back To Plastic For EDC

mk70ss

x2f2lDam.jpg

Decided that the SA Hellcat is actually a pretty nice little pistol, so I put up my blued steel and walnut and this will go everywhere with me now.

Cosmodragoon

I grew up with metal. I like metal. For something you've got to keep concealed and lug around all day... less so. These days, I only carry an all-steel gun if I'm feeling nostalgic or I want a magnum wheel gun for the woods. In the latter case, I might be better served by a poly-framed 10mm.

Is the Hellcat comfortable to shoot? I've been pretty pleased with the shooting comfort of 9mm in full-sized and compact poly-framed guns. The smallest I've gone is either the Shield or the PPS. I have yet to try the Hellcat or the Sig P365.

stephen426

Nice. I just switched to the Hellcat from my Glock 43. Its a shame since I swapped the trigger to an Agency Arms and added a Double Diamond connector and Crimson Trace Laserguard Pro (light/laser). I added Ghost +2 to the two spare mags I carried for a total of 23 rounds (7+8+8). I swapped the base plate of my Hellcat to the flush one since you don't gain any extra rounds. I also bought 2 extra 13 round mags. I can carry 38 rounds (12+13+13) or 40 if I use the extended mags (14+13+13). I know most gun fights don't come anywhere close to that round count, but I use my carry gun at the tactical range and I'm always at a disadvantage. Maybe I just wanted a new gun. LOL

mk70ss

Cosmodragoon, I have not shot it yet. Feels great in the hand for me anyways though. Great trigger too. When in the saddle out in the country, I carry a .45 Colt SAA revolver.....blued steel and wood. Around our ranch, a 9 shot .22 revolver......blued steel and wood.

Wheel-Gunner

mk70ss,

I have both the Hellcat and the p365. My p365 is on its second trip back to Sig. Was not reliable at all when I first bought it and no difference after its first trip back to Sig; that was my experience and I could be in the minority. The Hellcat has been a true delight. Flawless. With a little practice I feel like I am fairly proficient with it. Let us know how yours fares. I think you will be happy with it. It is a dream to carry.

USNRet93

mk70ss,

I have both the Hellcat and the p365. My p365 is on its second trip back to Sig. Was not reliable at all when I first bought it and no difference after its first trip back to Sig; that was my experience and I could be in the minority. The Hellcat has been a true delight. Flawless. With a little practice I feel like I am fairly proficient with it. Let us know how yours fares. I think you will be happy with it. It is a dream to carry.
DOH!!

Mosin44az

Cosmo, both the Hellcat and the SIG are comfortable to shoot and pretty easy to shoot accurately. Slightly more felt recoil than the Shield—if that. I liked my Shield, but had no more need for it since my P365–which has been perfectly reliable— is smaller, in fact can be easily carried in a front pocket.

I would consider the Hellcat if I actually needed another pocket 9.

Forte S+W

I was an all-steel guy for most of my life since that's what I grew up seeing.

My first pistol was an all-steel Walther PPK/S which carried well, fit my hand like a glove, was extremely accurate, and literally never once malfunctioned. However, it was rather heavy at over 23oz unloaded, wasn't easy to carry during the hottest days of Summer, and honestly felt too nice to be carrying everyday as I grew increasingly attached to it.
Ultimately I semi-retired it in favor of a Ruger LCP which weighs substantially less at just over 9oz unloaded and can be carried in just about any attire. Sure, it doesn't fit my hand well at all, isn't nearly as accurate, and obviously isn't as pretty as the PPK/S, but I love it for what it is. Although I do still carry the PPK/S ocassionally.

I also carry a full-size SW40VE whenever weather permits, which in spite of being considerably larger than the PPK/S, only weighs about 1oz more unloaded, holds 2x the ammo, and is chambered in a cartridge which is at least 2x as powerful, 2.5x with certain loads.

zoo

Decided that the SA Hellcat is actually a pretty nice little pistol, so I put up my blued steel and walnut and this will go everywhere with me now.

Probably not a bad choice at all but I'd nonetheless recommend taking it to the range and giving it a good workout before I carried it as my go to everyday weapon. Maybe take it to the range a few times before it became my EDC.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I love steel. I carry plastic.

OP, congratulations! It's a fine-looking little pistol and I (for one) would be interested in a range report.

Hal

I like both & I carry both.

The Ruger LCP slips neatly into my pocket and I don't really notice the slight weight.

The S&W M69 - in the shoulder holster - feels like this poor fella:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Cangue_punishment.jpg
    Cangue_punishment.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 627

OhioGuy

Very capable little pistol. Funny how differently guns can feel to different people. It fits my hands very well, but was not comfortable for me to shoot at all. I find the P365 with 12 round magazine to be a much better fit. At some point I expect a P365 XL with red dot to become my go-to.

Did you get the OSP or just the regular fixed sight on the Hellcat?

pete2

My belt gun on the deer lease is a Single Six, good old steel, carry gun is a 642 revolver because I can carry in my pocket. Don't see the advantage of the fat, too big plastic semi as a carry gun. I do keep an LC9 in the console of my pickup. A second 642 in the car.

mk70ss

Pete....uhhh have you seen the actual size of a Hellcat? They are really small, and they are not fat, but fairly thin. Even smaller with the flush fit magazine in.

ehAyZaSm.jpg

442 S&W width 1.3 inches.....Hellcat width... 0.9 inches

Last edited:

OhioGuy

My belt gun on the deer lease is a Single Six, good old steel, carry gun is a 642 revolver because I can carry in my pocket. Don't see the advantage of the fat, too big plastic semi as a carry gun. I do keep an LC9 in the console of my pickup. A second 642 in the car.
Hellcat and P365 are dimensionally similar to a J-frame, but narrower without the cylinder, carrying double or more the capacity.

I think the curved shape of a revolver has an advantage when carrying in a pocket, or other deep concealment method, but these new guns are anything but fat or bulky for sure.

pete2

The shape of an auto prevents drawing from my pocket due to the rear of the slide extending above my hand when gripping the handle.

mk70ss

Pete, not trying to sell you an auto. Just saying the Hellcat is small, thin, light, and carries 12 rounds.

Cosmodragoon

Hellcat and P365 are dimensionally similar to a J-frame, but narrower without the cylinder, carrying double or more the capacity.

I think the curved shape of a revolver has an advantage when carrying in a pocket, or other deep concealment method, but these new guns are anything but fat or bulky for sure.
The curve of a hammerless revolver like the LCR is great for pocket carry. Semi-autos tend to have more of a hard L-shape. That puts tighter constraints on their size. For instance, subcompact nines like the Shield and PPS don't work well in my pockets. To pocket carry a semi-auto, I'd previously needed to go down to .380.

The P365 and Hellcat might be a different story. I finally got a P365 in my hand at the LGS yesterday. Unfortunately, I hated the way it felt in my hand. I'd need to explore grip sleeve options if I went that route. I have yet to see a Hellcat in person.

fastbolt

Nothing wrong with plastic for the rigors of actual carry usage.

It can be lighter weight on the body and easier to clean and maintain (I wipe off all of my plastic frames) ... and if it's damaged or lost to evidence/property after an actual defensive use, it can usually be replaced with another one that looks just like it. ;)