I went ahead and bought it! The FN Hi Power

Blue Duck

Well, I finally got around to buying that FN Hi Power in .40 cal., today. The one with the Cylinder and Slide work done on it. I had been trying to talk myself out of it for 3 days now, but I failed to convince myself that I didn't need it.

I believe it is probably a keeper. I got home just in time to fire a couple of magazenes out of it, before it got dark. I tried two different brands of ammo, some Federal Preminum Hollowpoints and some Lawman solids. Both hit about the same place. It seems to be a good accurate gun, good trigger, espacally for a Hi Power. The fixed night sights are pretty well regulated, However I was shooting slightly low, about 2 inches, but it may have been me.

The gun works really well, However it did jam on the last round of the second clip full. But I know what happened. I fired the last few rounds one handed and I wasn't really doing it right and limp wristed it, I remember my other Hi Power I used to own could be limp wristed if I tried. So I am not worried about that one incident.

This gun is easy to shoot well, I really like it. Since I have shot 1911's for so many years, it's quite natural for me.

I believe this gun was a good find for me. It is set up really, just like I would want it. Nice wood grips, ambi-safety, night sights, Cylinder and Slide trigger job using their springs and skeleton commander style hammer, and I think the barrel has been throated, and the feed ramp polished. It also has no sharp edges on it, anywhere. However, the gun might have came that way, I looked at another stock FN 40 cal and it didn't really have any sharp edges either. The dealer told me that the guy who traded it in, had over 1800 dollars in it. I don't know if he was blowing smoke or not, I know it isn't hard to get that kind of money in a gun when you send it to Cylinder and Slide, but who knows.