I was reading about the .460 Roland conversion for the Glock

Capt Rick Hiott

It said on the .460Roland web site that the .460 is,,,,,,,"three times the fire power of the Mighty .454 Casull revolver"

Is this true,,,I don't believe it........

teeroux

By fire power I assume they mean capacity. 5 round revolver vs 15 round magazine. If the magazine even holds that much.

Edward429451

They have to mean capacity, because that would be true for round count. It is not true for energy of the round. The 460R is a fine cartridge but does not quite make it to 454 Casull territory in terms of potential energy.

MLeake

.460 Rowland is ballistically similar to .44 magnum in the 240 grain range, and not close to .454.

jmortimer

You get around 950 plus ft lbs with the Rowland conversion. Since you can go 1,400 plus ft lbs with the .44 mag, it would be just below the .41 mag on the food chain which will go over 1,000 ft lbs. I really want to do a conversion on an XD. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

MLeake

You can go 1400 with hand loads or boutique .44; most factory .44 240 is in the ballpark of the .460. The .44 can be loaded hotter, at comparable bullet weights, or the .44 could take bullets up to 305gr, so its potential power and penetration is well above that of the Rowland.

Neither is a .454.

Capt Rick Hiott

I didn't think so.

I know factory loads can be on the light side but the Magtech factory loads I shoot say its 260Gr at 1,800fps with 1871 Ft.Lb's of energy at the muzzle.

I wonder why they say,, "the .460Roland has 27,000 foot-pounds of muzzle energy" on there site? Thats crazy!!

Scroll down to the 7th paragraph on there site and read it for your self,,,(For Maximum Fire Power) http://460rowland.com/about/

Something don't seem right here,,,,

Last edited:

B.L.E.

I wonder why they say,, "the .460Roland has 27,000 foot-pounds of muzzle energy" on there site? Thats crazy!!

I guess they mean the combined muzzle energy of the entire magazine of ammo.
"muzzle energy at 50 yards"??? Now that makes no sense. I'm sure that at 50 yards you get 50 yard energy, which is the muzzle energy minus the energy it takes to penetrate 50 yards of air.
I dunno, I always thought the reason for magnum pistol calibers was so you didn't need to empty the magazine into a deer to kill it.

jhenry

No one is going to empty any magazine into any deer to kill it unless the deer is rather stationary pretty much after the first shot.

B.L.E.

No but I can name people who have emptied magazines at fleeing deer and mostly ended up with an empty gun to show for it.