I want to shoot an LCR...

HOKIEHUNTER

Well, It's tax time and I bought a house last year so uncle sam is send a big check my way. I'm looking for a good CC pistol and I love everything about the Ruger LCR. Only problem is I can't find a gun shop around that will let me shoot one.

Is there anyone in the Lynchburg / Central VA area that has one of these I can put through the paces, or does anyone know of a shop where I can give one a go? PSS in Roanoke has one but they won't let you take it on the range...

Also what's everyone's thoughts on the LCR. Most reviews I've read have been pretty positive, but I haven't heard many end user reviews.

Thanks,
Hokie

EdInk

You need to find a range that will let you rent one if you must put ammo through one before buying it. I don't know any store that lets you shoot a brand new gun before buying it. I'm sure you can dry fire if to get a feel for the grip. I prefer my 442 but the LCR is nice.

rburch

You need to find a range that will let you rent one if you must put ammo through one before buying it. I don't know any store that lets you shoot a brand new gun before buying it. I'm sure you can dry fire if to get a feel for the grip. I prefer my 442 but the LCR is nice.

The problem is finding a range that offers rentals. As the OP said PSS (the only rental range I know of in the area) doesn't offer the LCR as a rental.

EdInk

Well you'll just have to be brave and trust your gut and every single review done by every single person to ever buy or try it. I don't think that every person on the web is in on the advertising money like the magazines. They would probably tell you an honest opinion. The fact that both the other 2 major revolver makers have released versions of their own should tell you it's probably decent. I've shot one and it's nice but I like the s&w airweight better. The LCP and New Vaquero I have are great guns and Ruger's reputation is good. Just take a chance. You'll be fine.

HOKIEHUNTER

Owner told me that they're selling too quickly for him to put one as a range gun. From everything I've heard, and from handling them myself (without firing) he'd probably sell a lot more of them if he'd bit the bullet (no pun intended) and put one out for the range. I was in the shop the other day and I can tell ya, if I'd been able to shoot it I might have taken one home with me. Instead I let it go and am looking somewhere else.

gglass

As the Nike ad says, "Just Do It!". The Ruger LCR has the best out-of-the-box trigger in a J-frame size revolver that I've ever felt. The huge upside to the light and smooth trigger is increased accuracy. My wife could never shoot a S&W J-frame accurately because the exertion would cause her hands to visibly shake. She has become a past-master with her LCR because of the light trigger and her ability to stage the trigger.

You will love your new LCR... Trust all those reviews you've read.

rugerlcrchanel.jpg

marv

You can do like the rest of us did. Buy one, get some ammo, and shoot it. Guarantee you won't regret it.

B.N.Real

Green Top gun sales in Richmond has a used LCR for sale for $375 as of yesterday but I'll bet it's already sold.

They have a website where you can check on their used guns and I think, get their phone number.

ClayInTx

The LCR is made for one thing, self defense. It is a stick of dynamite in a firecracker shell. You definitely will not be taking it to the range every week to put 100 rounds through it. Well, maybe if you’re a glutton for punishment. It bangs big and kicks hard.

It’s accurate for its size, and does its job with no apologies.

There are other manufacturers with a similar gun, and just as good. But they also bang big and kick hard.

I have one and love it.

azredhawk44

It may not be a sturdy enough gun to invest in as a range gun.

The LCR is made for one thing, self defense. It is a stick of dynamite in a firecracker shell. You definitely will not be taking it to the range every week to put 100 rounds through it. Well, maybe if you’re a glutton for punishment. It bangs big and kicks hard.

It’s accurate for its size, and does its job with no apologies.

What's the good of a gun (as a range manager/owner) that a shooter gets sore from shooting? They're on my lane for less time, shooting less of my ammo and targets.

Far better to put a 686 or GP100 out there.

You don't see a lot of finicky, fragile small guns on the rental shelf. Or guns likely to cause pain/harm/discomfort to shooters.

verdun59

The LCR is a nice gun, accurate and the recoil is less than a whole lot of other guns. I like mine as most of the owners do. I think it's a softer shooter than the comparable S&Ws, but that's just a personal opinion. Buy one you'll like it.

langenc

Is there a local gunclub that has a pistol league or pistol shooters.

When I shot at the club anyone would let a fellow shooter or visitor shoot a couple mags. One of the fringes of a group of shooters. We shot some ammo and lots of bull.

Timbow

I've had one with laser grips since August or so and I love it. Recoil isn't bad at all with standard loads and is still controllable with +Ps although you definately know it went off. I would definitely recommend it for CC. I carry mine off duty every day.