I want to purchase my first revolver.

7jinxed7

I have been buying nothing buy polymer frame autos for several years now Glocks,M&P's and the recent LCP. I'm tired of the stupid trigger safeties and just burnt out on the polymer frames. I want something a little different,something solid, accurate and durable suitable for possible carry.

I have shot revolvers but only a hand full of times. I've shot the S&W 13-2 with 38's which I own and a Charter off duty 38 special no longer operational. The S&W is sentimental so I don't want to shoot it much.

I handled one of the S&W 442's and this is the best feeling revolver I have ever held,I love it. I really want this revolver and feel it's a good choice for it's role. What do you more experienced revolver guys think about the 442 and the 642 models? Any input on them? So it's not really my first revolver but my first revolver purchase thats what I want.

Vividia

Have both a 442 and a kahr pm9 for daily carry. I prefer the 442 with hornady critical defense.

I have a 627PC and a 66-1 loaded at all times in the house, with a 1911 and its mag close by. Nothing like a revolver for point and shoot reliability tho.

Billy Shears

Ruger sp101

What he said.

It's just my opinion and I know that ain't worth much, but I think the SP-101 is about the most versatile revolver out there. It does a lot of things very well. Rugged, reliable, affordable, concealable yet still with enough heft to be controllable. And I think they look good too.

Again, just my opinion. And if you aren't a Ruger fan then I'd say get one of the S&W 637s. That's a lot of value for the money.

dyl

Hey there, I have a 642 which compared to my M&P40c is much easier to carry. I mostly pocket carry.

If you're looking for info lots of owner's feedback, you can google "642 club" on The High Road (I'm not completely sure if I'm allowed to mention another forum on here)

And on youtube look for the user Hickok45 and look at his J-frame videos - I think you'll like them. I used to be a bit discouraged when people would say how the short barrel revolver was inaccurate but Hickok45 likes to show that it's not the gun but the shooter. He hits targets way out there at 80 yards or so. It's a fun challenge to shoot "nice groups" if we're concerned about slow fire paper-punching but it can be done. I once got a ragged hole the size of a quarter with 5 shots at 7 yards but then went and spoiled it by losing concentration.

No problems with mine mechanically. Some people say the clear coat finish on their 642's peel but mine has not and it's several years old. But if it does start to peel you could call S&W and they'll re-finish it again most likely (that's what others have done). There are lots of grip styles to choose from - rubber, wood, flush-fitting grips, ones that give you a pinky hold, ones that cover the back-strap for cushioning, laser sights. I have yet to take mine jogging but I suspect that may be a job for a belly band or smart carry rig.

good luck!

7jinxed7

"I have a 642 which compared to my M&P40c is much easier to carry. I mostly pocket carry." dyl

I agree I do currently carry a M&P 9c and it's fine ,but not as light and small as the 442. I did try the 442 out in my pocket and man it's comfy and draws smooth. I do plan on waist and pocket carry.

The sp101 has been considered.

Old John

Ruger, SP101, .357 is great. Been carrying mine for 8+ years.
I switch to a Ruger, LCR, .38 spec. for pocket carry.
Both great little guns.

efield

Please forgive me if I open a can of worms here. IMHO if you decide on the S&W and decide to use it for your CCW, look for one that is "pre-lock." I won't go into the arguments, pro or con, here but many reputable gunsmiths do not like them either. Check out the arguments for yourself and make your own decision.

If you want a new gun and do not have the time or inclination to look for a pre-lock Smith, the Ruger SP-101 can be had in most of the same configurations as the Smith sans the lock. There is also the Ruger LCR if you are stuck on light weight and polymer. Both can be had hammerless with a short barrel.

Regards,
efield

KyJim

First question is, what is the purpose of the revolver? If it is for concealed carry, then the 442/642 is a good choice. It's much lighter than the Ruger SP 101. This may or may not be an issue depending upon mode of carry and the person carrying. Personally, if I carry a heavy gun, it's usually a .45 1911. Just personal preference and nothing against the Ruger. The fact yo like the way it feels is a plus.

If possible, see if you can shoot your friend's revolver. That will tell you a lot. The Airweight J-frames are more difficult to shoot accurately at medium and long range. If for concealed carry, though, you don't need 25-yard accuracy.

Now, if you want a range gun, I would go a different direction altogether. SW K-frames and Rugers.

wheelguy

442 story

Got a S@W 442 story for you. I have a mod 85 Taurus 2"ss that I carried for sd for about 2 yrs after putting 300 rounds thru it to make sure I would trust it with my life. Total now is about 900+ faultless rounds. I recently fell victim to the negative posts here and in other forums about Taurus quality and asked myself if I really wanted to trust my life to this gun. Well I purchased a 442 because of rep and you get what you pay for, right? The unthinkable happened recently and I had to draw on one of our local misunderstood, disadvantaged youths who pulled a knife on me and "politely" asked me for my wallet. I came up with a handful of S@W and then pulled the trigger after he took a step towards me. It sounded like this: click....click....clickclickclickclick! Well, he decided that SOMETHING was probably gonna work soon so he took off. Luckily the only thing that was hurt was my shorts- they didn't survive. A subsequent examination by a GOOD smith revealed a broken firing pin. He also stated that the innards were not S@W's best effort. So now what? Do I carry my "junk" Taurus or my superb American made 442? You get what you pay for ,right? Just do yourself a favor and take advice with a grain of salt- not everybody is an expert. Keep an open mind.

engineer88

Any brand can fail. Anything mechanical can fail. Glad you are still with us to tell that story. :)

I have a Ruger SP101 I would trust like no other. But it is too heavy for pocket, I carry it iwb. Now my bobbed 637 & 638 I carry in my pocket and I find the little Smith revolvers to be excellent. Easy to carry, accurate enough and not too pricey.

By the way, I am firm believer in carrying a backup gun, even though I realize I may not have time to draw it. It may just save my bacon one day and my backups are just as easy to carry as an extra magazine.

Leejack

Wheelguy, I guess you found out the hard way about all the internet BS.

Glad you're OK sir!

Back to topic, the 442 or 642 would both be a good choice, so would the SP101 or M85.

LordTio3

I have a mod 85 Taurus 2"ss that I carried for sd for about 2 yrs after putting 300 rounds thru it to make sure I would trust it with my life.

Well I purchased a 442 because of rep and you get what you pay for, right?

I'm wondering why the broken firing pin wasn't diagnosed during the 300 round break in period that you should have subjected both hanguns to. You were very right to advise that one should test before they trust, but the message conveyed by your story was that you subjected your Taurus to testing in order to trust it, but trusted your Smith because of the name. So as it reads now, its more of a moral about anti-brand snobbery instead of advice about trusting your weapon because it performs well.

But the story does help us to understand a few things...

1. No gun maker is perfect and neither are their products.
*Always test your equipment.

2. Just because you pay more for something doesn't mean it's inherrently better, or will serve YOUR specific needs better.
*Buy and carry what you're comfortable with.

3. Broken parts should be diagnosed before you need them to work.
*If possible, always try before you buy, and never carry something you aren't very sure about.

My personal recommendation is the Smith and Wesson 637 for a versatile revolver in .38 special for concealed carry. For a bit more punch, I recommend the Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum. I go for the 3" barrel for a more balanced feel in hand.

~LT

M4BGRINGO

I have a lot of handguns, both revolvers and semi-autos. My favorite is my 686. Not a good carry gun, if that's what you are looking for, little big for that!

bluetopper

Congrats on seeing the light!

I grew out of the polymer/hi capacity phase of my life a few years ago and will never go back.

If this helps I think you'll find a S&W revolver more pleasurable to shoot and own than any other especially if you like long sessions of target shooting.