I want to be anti SW

Will Beararms

You are falling into a deep sleep. You are craving the Smith and Wesson 1917. You are beginning to rationalize the $1049.00 price tag. You.........................

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I know I know I know..

I passed on a parkerized 1917 SW without import marks for $300, I Bought a 1917 Colt over 10 years ago for $275, a reblue, but according th the #'s its a real ww1 gun, again no import marks. Shoots like a dream, action is slick , lock up is tighter than any new ruger I've picked up.

I was thinking more on the lines of wow, with modern metallurgy, wouldn't a SW 1917 be cool.. NOT 1000 dollars worth of cool.. but cool noneltheless.

I'd HAPPILY buy a Brazilian import if I could find one.

Now if only Colt would make a new service reproduction.. say in 357..
or in stainless??

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
or why it has a rounded off butt..

For the same reason it doesn't have a pinned barrel or countersunk chambers. Manufacturing costs.

It's cheaper to make only one frame shape in each frame size.

stans

You have got to be really desparate for a 1917 to shell out that kind of money. The originals go for far less at gun shows. I have a Colt 1917 that is WW I production for the Army. Unfortunately, it was parkerized somewhere in its career with Uncle Sam. I also have a WW II holster for this revolver.

The next Brazilian 1917 I find gets turned into a project gun.

Rounded butt, shortened barrel, DAO, all edges melted, Robar finish.

Drakejake

What is it like to fire this big, old 45 revolver? I have to admit that I think about 45 ACP revolvers since I have a nice Ruger 9 MM revolver. I like the 9 MM and .45 rounds.

Drakejake

J. Parker

Beautiful piece. It's hard being anti-new-Smith. They've got some nice new stuff too.
Why the hell didn't somebody like Glock screw up instead of Smith?

bpisler

Because Glock and the rest of the firearm makers had the guts to stand to gether and fight and not sellout to the goverment:rolleyes:

stans

"What is it like to fire this big, old 45 revolver? "

I don't know about the Smith 1917, but the Colt 1917 has a nasty habit of biting my thumb with its cylinder release. I am sure larger grips would greatly improve this situation, but I rarely take this one to the range.

S&W44

My old 1917 Brazilian S&W is my bedside gun.6 big Silvertips in it and 2 extra full moon clips nearby.Put a set of rubber grips on it,it makes a world of difference.

Frenchy

Because Glock and the rest of the firearm makers had the guts to stand to gether and fight and not sellout to the goverment

I knew we couldn't go a complete thread without a political comment. :rolleyes:

James K

Member In Memoriam
In one of Hatcher's books he tells the story about a fight in which several men were involved and one was shot with a 1917 S&W which was found, devoid of prints, in the brush.

Of course, all denied the shooting until the expert make them show him their hands. He then told the police to arrest one of the men, who promptly confessed. The brawlers thought he had second sight or something, but he simply looked for the guy with the web of his hand split from the recoil.

Jim

Scarborough

For what it's worth my Colt New Service .45 Colt with 8 grains of Unique hurt me so bad when I fired it that I sold it. A superb revolver but with my smaller than normal hands I absolutely could not hold on to it and it ate my hand alive. My Bisley Blackhawk with 23gr. WW296 and 250gr SWC is my current hunting handgun and it is quite controllable. Proper handfit is everything.