I want one!!!!! You gotta see this!!!

M4A3

03A-Shrike-006.jpg

rugerdude

I'm thinking that reaching around the belt would be a little odd. Nice looking gun though!

Please excuse my lack of ammo identification, but is that chambered in 7.62x51?

M4A3

I would like to but a semi-auto SAW but thay go for about $5,000.00 Maby a semi in this would be a more affordable alternitive...

shaggy

I would like to but a semi-auto SAW but thay go for about $5,000.00 Maby a semi in this would be a more affordable alternitive...

Doubtful.

Introductory price on the Shrike upper was $2500 (which is now about 2 years beyond the original delivery date). Newly ordered units are in the $4k-5k range IIRC. At $2500-3000 for an upper, I'd be interested, beyond that, I'll just get an LMT MRP or MGI CQB upper, a few spare barrels, and some Beta-Cs, OR a Colt OB LMG upper and a few Betas.

buzz_knox

correct me if I'm wrong but that belt is a sabot belt, isn't it?

Perhaps you should define what a sabot belt is? The rounds in that belt aren't sabot loads, and I've never heard the term sabot applied to a belt before.

Freeman25

You know what sabot round is, right?
Now, a sabot belt is fed by miniguns or for example the M230 mg on the
AH 64 Apache.

jdberger

1) I'm pretty sure that mini-guns do not use belts.

2) I'm positive that the M230 does not use a belt, the feed is described as "linkless". see: http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:vjg-WiaJvM4J:tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/apm230.htm+m230&hl=en

The company, MWD, that makes the M230, describes its "linear linkless" ammo feed system in the following way:

"Linear Linkless”, which characterises the design of almost all MWD’s medium calibre ammunition handling systems, eliminates bullet links to maximize available space for ammunition storage as bullets move quickly and reliably along any line from storage to weapon.

I have seen Sabot rounds. I've even stuffed a few into a 120mm gun. I've fired a few out of a .50 cal muzzle loader and a 30-06.

I guess I don't understand the concept of a 'sabot belt.' Is it there to feed the sabot rounds? Why wouldn't a normal belt work?

jdberger

'sabot belt' is referring to a linkless belt

Huh?

Linear Linkless means no belt. No links. The rounds are pushed/pulled along a chute.

And the belt on the Ares gun clearly has disintegrating links.

shaggy

FWIW, miniguns do use linked belts and fire the standard 4:1 ball/tracer mix. They use the same link (M27) as the M60, M240, MG3, etc. The belts travel through a feed chute to protect the belt from getting snagged - it moves quite fast through the gun, and if it gets snagged or drags on something, the rotor inthe gun will continue to turn and shred live rounds and brass (its a real mess - I've helped pull one apart after a belt got caught on an edge inside the feed chute and the rotor mangled about a dozen rounds inside the gun.)