I want one now!

overkill556x45

So my friend at my guard unit picked up a 8 3/8" S&W Model 17-4 .22cal revolver for DIRT cheap. Some degenerate had taken off the rear sights and put on a scope mount. My buddy quickly scrapped the scope mount and put some S&W sights back on. The revolver is blued, still a very deep blue, hammer and trigger are color-case. Still has original wood grips.

Anyhoo, we went to the range (me, my buddy, and the K-22) on Sunday and it was a blast (no pun intended). My friend shot the K-22 from kneeling at 7yds to see if the sights were on. They were. 3 shots in one hole dead center bullseye , two in one hole at 12 o'clock bullseye, one flier at 11 o'clock. I broke clays with it at 25yds (single action, standing unsupported) with relative ease :D. The DA pull was silky smooth, SA was amazing. My buddy opined that he would probably be leaving his 10/22 in the safe during rabbit season.

Anyway, I don't know much about this wonderful little revolver. I have a lot of emotional investment in it because my buddy sniped it out from under me :mad:. The seller wanted to get rid of it because he was getting married and had NO CLUE what it was. My buddy got to the seller first and bought it at first sight (for under $200). Anyone else used an 8 3/8" K-22 before? Is there a chance this thing is a "masterpiece" (most of the 8 3/8" k-22's I've seen listed on Google are listed as "K-22 Masterpiece")? Sorry, I don't have any pics. I was too busy stuffing Federal Champion into the gun to grab my camera and take some pics.

I really want one now. That'll have to go in the "Guns I'll Have When I Get A Real Job" file.

Elvishead

Just remember, having a 8 3/8" barrel is like cheating. Go to the range hit a bullseye and then go home. Just kidding, good luck, hope you find a deal on one.

Smaug

This is pretty much a competition gun. As elvishead said, you had better be using airgun targets for a challenge at under 25 yds.

You have seen how accurate the gun is. The previous owner probably found that the iron sights didn't give him enough resolution to take full advantage of the accuracy. It is probably capable of squirrel head shots at 25-50 yards with a scope, and it would be iffy without one.

Don't plan on finding one for anywhere near $200, unless it is all jacked up. Your best bet is to buy your buddy's for $300. It is still a steal, and he might just be happy to turn a quick $100 profit.

johnbt

"Anyone else used an 8 3/8" K-22 before?"

Me, and it's a 17-4 with a vintage Burris 2x on it. My father shot it regularly for years and let me use it a lot, but I only got to borrow it for a week once. He gave it to me last year when they moved to assisted living. Got the box, too.

Regarding squirrel hunting, heads shots are too easy - pick an eye and call your shot. ;)

John

johnbt

I just did a little looking around online. I can't believe the asking prices I'm seeing for 6" 17-4 models - $699, $735, etc. Nice guns with a box, but dang.

Stumbled across this 17-4...

www.bakersgunshop.com/handguns.htm

LOG1267-1.JPG

"S/N: 212K709 - Barrel 8 1/2 inches, overall length 14 inches. Factory engraved and checkered ivory grips.

Item Number: 1267

Price: $2,199.99"

stevieboy

I recently purchased, purely on impulse, a 17-5 8 3/8". I say "impulse" because I already have two 617s, a 6" and a 4". What a great gun this one is! It has a target trigger, hammmer, and grips. The trigger is very smooth, not the lightest of my revolvers, but outstanding nevertheless. At 10 yards, shooting da with open sights, I can easily put everything in the 10 ring. At 25 yards, all 10s and 9s. That's shooting the cheap stuff from WalMart. And, bear in mind, I have the eyes and the tremors of a 62-year old.