I want an EBR

scorpion_tyr

I'd like an "Evil Black Rifle" to punch holes in lots and lots of paper and maybe take care of a yote or two. Can I find all this...

Semi-auto
.223 or .308
20+ rounds magazine capacity
Only needs to be accurate out to 100 yards
Can't be too ugly

... for less than $700 USD? Or do I need to save for a little while longer?

ripcord55

with the panic buying right now doubt if there is anything for that price around .right now am seeing just uppers going for $700.00.:mad:

zinj

You're getting into the game a bit late. However, there are a few options.

You could do an AR kit build (provided you can find a lower and are willing to wait a couple of months for backordered parts). Probably the best option if you can swing it.

There hasn't been as much of a run on Ruger Mini-14s as there has on other rifles. You could probably find one for $700, or a bit less. They have a reputation for poor accuracy, but supposedly the newer models are much improved on this front. The jury is still out though. The OEM 20 round mags are finally freely available, but cost $40 (though maybe Ruger will extend their sale price of $30 indefinitely).

Lastly there is the Kel-Tec SU-16. Probably the lowest build quality (lots of plastic structural components) of the three rifles mentioned here, but also the cheapest. Haven't checked prices in a while but I think they are around $500, maybe a bit more. They use standard AR mags.

Those are probably the only high-cap semis in .223 or .308 that you will encounter new. You may be able to find some Century builds of rifles like the CETME or Golani at $700 or under, but often have questionable quality.

MartyG

Since you're only looking for a range of 100yds or so, check out the Beretta CX4 carbine. Available in 9mm, .40 S/W, or .45 ACP (all pistol ammo), this is a great gun, evil-looking, very accurate, and 20 rd mags are available. I have one. Lots of accessories (rails, lights, slings, bipods, carrying cases, etc) are available, too. Was once as low as $550, now going for the $700 range. Sold for plinking, target, and "home defense," it's what I need if the Zombies come. I, like you, don't envision shooting beyond 100 yds. 9mm ammo is cheaper than rifle ammo, too.

troy_mclure

ive got a cx4 storm in .40S&W i got mine for $549. but i havent seen them for under $750 in a long time.

also getting good groups(3") at more than 75yd is...... tricky.

ive head shot a doe at 45m with it before, and 50 is good for plinking.

but with the price of mags, rails, sights/scopes, you are easily looking $1200+.

for that price a good ar's are available.

and i belive .223 is cheaper than .40