I want an AR, In 50 Beowulf

blueovelwookie

I have been looking for an AR in some form or another for a while now. I have decided on a caliber, 50 beowulf. Does anyone own one? Any info on AR's and the beowulf would be greatly apprecieated.

huntinaz

Yes, go to beyond556.com. There is a lot of info there.

I have a Beowulf and I have to say... it is absolutely awesome. I purchased mine from a member of this site actually. After some hardships with the stock (Ace Socom M4) I have it up and running again and I love it. Reports on recoil are that it's similar to a 12ga but I would compare it more to a 45-70 or maybe a 12ga shooting 3" turkey loads. Recoil is stout. There are a number of muzzle brakes on the market. I just installed a Millenium brake from Alexander Arms and it makes a huge difference. Recoil is more comparable now to a 243, which is awesome considering what's coming out of the barrel.

Ammunition can be difficult to find, it is often on backorder so if you don't reload you may have to wait for some. The cheap stuff is usually under $30 a box (20) but the brass is easily worth $0.50-$0.60 apiece. I have only handloaded for it. Brass seems to be the hardest thing to find but I have been able to get it. If you are not an experienced handloader, it is not the best cartridge to learn on. But there is a lot of info at beyond556 and those guys are willing to give advice.

Mine has been flawless so far although admittedly only ~100 rounds down the pipe. 350gr bullets have ran just fine is a number of standard AR mags without modification including Stoner, Pmags, D&H, and Colt.

It's accurate. I shot a 3 shot group yesterday at 100 yards that I bet measures ~1-1.25" before subtracting the half inch for bullet diameter.

The Beowulf hits hard. It's a whole lot of punch in the AR platform and brings a smile to my face with every shot. I can't wait to hunt it, bear season opens Friday and the Beowulf will be there. Hopefully I can tip one over:cool:

Here's a cell phone pic of my setup. It's all I have at the moment.

Attachments

• Beo.jpg
    Beo.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 36

huntinaz

It's a Weaver Kaspa 1.5-6x with illuminated ballistic reticle. I wanted a low power variable with an illuminated reticle, prefereably under $400. All I could find was the Weaver and the Millet in that price range. I trust Weaver over Millet, although it's kind of a new product so there are not many reviews out. It also offers a holdover reticle which I prefer as opposed to Millet's "donut-dot." It has a lifetime warranty but is made in China instead of Japan/Phillipines? where most Weavers are made. So the jury is still out. I very rarely like to be a guinea pig on new products but the price was right from a brand I trust. So far, I love it. Glass is clear and has reasonable light gathering at dusk/dawn. If it holds up, it is an excellent bargain for ~$200.

Seriously the muzzle brake is awesome. Cut the recoil WAY down. I really like the Troy handguard you had on it. My brother wants one for his AR.

The Ace Socom wasn't handling the recoil well at all. Ace replaced it and their new generation Socom stock has much more robust cleats to hold the stock in position. That coupled with the brake it looks like it's good to go.

Achilles11B

Glad to hear, sir. You'll have to post a pic or two after your first trip.

With the stock and the handguard, as well as the red-dot I was running on it, I was concerned about the effects of recoil. That stock seemed pretty sturdy, but that was based on .223 ammo. I'm glad to see Ace has some good customer service.