I want an American Norinco 1911.

defjon

Not really, and I say that tongue in cheek.

I just got to thinking that it would be nice if a company offered a 1911 made in the old way. I know MIM works fine and so does cast when they are done right. I've read that certain Smiths would work on Norcs due to their high quality, tough steel parts. The 1911 has a lot of small parts that could snap and ruin your day.

The 100th anniversary of the old slab side is fast approaching. I would love to see an American manufacturer take this chance to offer something like that. I know 1911s sure can be jazzed up and have all sorts of bells and whistles, but I have really been wanting a regular old GI 1911 A1, in spec, made with the same innards that they were when it was the service pistol for our armed forces.

Last edited:

defjon

I still keep an eye out for one.

I wish the ban would just be lifted. Or, that someone in the USA would make a Norinco-like 1911.

The Canadians meanwhile get to swim in seas of Norincos laughing all the while and mocking us with their superior maple syrup...

twhidd

Are any American companies even tooled to make guns the "old fashioned" way anymore? If not, would it even be economically feasible for the company or the consumer to go down that road?

jqpublic

american made 1911

What about Auto Ordnance? They make a 1911A1 in Worcester, MA that appears to pretty closely resemble the original. I don't own one, but have been reading forums about them and looked at one a gunshow this past weekend. From what I understand their overall quality has improved greatly since they were taken over by Kahr Arms a few years back. Check out their website at auto-ordnance.com.

Chesster

You bunch of pinkos!!!!!! The absence of inexpensive steel guns and good cigars is the small price we pay to protect democracy from the Commie hoards. Or it was until we elected our own. :)

twhidd

There are a few American made 1911s, the OP was asking about guns with forged steel frames and parts. Not cast or MIM parts. Aside from custom guns, I don't think any company does that on a large scale anymore .

Claddagh

There are several US-made choices in a quality GI-spec 1911-A1 out there; just not at Norinco prices. You can have those too when you (or your kids) are willing to live in the same standards and conditions and work 12 hrs a day, six days a week for the same wages. TANSTAAFL.

WVsig

What about Auto Ordnance? They make a 1911A1 in Worcester, MA that appears to pretty closely resemble the original. I don't own one, but have been reading forums about them and looked at one a gunshow this past weekend. From what I understand their overall quality has improved greatly since they were taken over by Kahr Arms a few years back. Check out their website at auto-ordnance.com.

You are joking right?

jqpublic

Actually, no I'm not joking. The OP is looking for a quality US made basic GI 1911A1. The key word here is "quality". I know that Auto Ordnance has been sorely lacking in that department in past years. My point is that from everything I can glean from reading 1911 forums is that Auto Ordnance has greatly improved since being taken over by Kahr. Their website states that the frames are investment castings and that the slides are machined barstock. No reference regarding MIM parts. When I said they pretty closely resemble the original 1911A1, I was referring to appearances only, i.e. the vertical slide serrations, hammer and trigger style, small sights, grip panels, lanyard loop, parkerizing and small, unobtrusive roll markings on the slide. They do have the series 80 type firing pin block which purist would not like, but aside from that and the cast frame, I liked what I saw and read. That said, I have not owned or fired one, nor do I personally know anyone who has. I do know that they have a huge bad reputation to overcome.

Brian48

I love my Kahr-made AO, but as good as it is, there's still a lot of MIM parts in it and castings are still used for all the major parts. I believe the OP was looking for an old-fashion, all-forged gun. Now we can debate as to whether that's really relevant these days, but that's what he appears to want. That said, I don't know of ANY 1911 manufacturer that follows an outdated production process like this for the entirety of all the parts involved (small or large). Just doesn't make sense.

Samuel2011

What we really need is good old fashioned slave labor or have the prision sytem make the guns for us. Prisioner labor can be very cheap and some prisions already run full functioning shops.
Have the slides made in a federal prision in Texas, the frame in Ohio, fire control group in NY, safety/slide stop and misc. in CA. Then have it put together and finished in an actual factory by non fellon employees.

Whats wrong with that? Do I have to come up with all the dumb ideas arround here!:D

P.S. I'm not too big on the slave labor part, just kidding with that one.

alfack

What sucks is we still get the tainted dogfood, lead base painted toys and 99% of Walmarts' inventory, but they take away the good stuff.

twhidd

The labor unions would have a cow if we allowed prison labor to do any large scale manufacturing in this country.

How many toes did I just step on?

defjon

Haha, good responses guys. Thanks, many a chuckle.

May have tracked down another old Sistema, so perhaps that'll do:D

GONIF

Colt has new CNC machines and is produceing some very good 1911 pistols now . No joke ,they are back to produceing quality 1911's .:D:D