I want a rimfire wheel gun that can compete

posigian

Its time to replace the 22 cal. lost in the divorce as I believe it’s a necessity for every home and the kids are ready to step up from the BB guns. Questions and interests will determine if it will be rifle or wheel!

What kind of “competition” or organized shooting could one get involved with shooting rimfire and what is the preferred weapon?

I shot IDPA for a couple years with a 686+ but that was some time ago. Family and Finances have kept me from returning but I would enjoy something a little different. With the less expensive ammo of a 22 that would help hone my skills and make for some great time with my kids!

Looking at and/or considering one of the following;

1) S&W 617 (10 shot, 4” )
2) S&W 63 (8 shot, 5”, jframe)
3) S&W 22A (10 shot, semi auto, bull barrel, 5”)
4) S&W M&P15-22 (AR style, 25 rd. mag, looks like a lot of fun)

Currently #2 is my preferred choice as it will make for good practice because my carry is the 640 or 642, but ultimately I would like to get something that will fit the bill to shooting some form of competition myself, and my daughters are ready for their next steps.

Thoughts and Feedback?

Posigian

If you still have the 686, the 617 is the obvious choice. It's nearly the same size and weight as your 686, so aside from recoil, the guns should shoot the same.

Even if you don't, it's a great choice. It's got marvelous ergonomics, and you can shoot all sorts of ammunition that wouldn't feed through an automatic (bulk lead, shorts, longs, CB's, subsonics).

Also, keep your eyes peeled on the used market for Model 17's and 18's. Shooter-grade ones can be acquired somewhat cheap now. Accuracy with the rimfire K-Frames (the 617 is a K) is phenomenal:

remington.jpg

It's also worth mentioning that the Army pistol team cleaned up at the 1932 Olympics with K-22's. They can certainly compete :)

22-rimfire

Another potential choice is the Colt Officers Model Match revolver. Fine accurate revolver. My reasoning follows Tom Servo's. I really like the 617 in a 4" barrel. It just balances really nice with that barrel length and I tend to like a barrel heavy revolver.

I have handled the Model 63 and I like it. I don't think it is designed for competition of any kind. Generally you want a larger frame. But I want a new Model 63 while Smith is still making them again.

David the Gnome

I would probably go for the 4" 617. The 6" might buy you a little more accuracy but I think it's going to be a really heavy and slow moving gun to use all day.

Viper225

My 2 rimfire pistols are a 4" 617 6 shot model,and a Ruger MK III 4.5" Fluted Hunter. As far as I am concerned they cover all the bases for what I do with a multi-shot 22 pistol.
Both the above should last me forever.

Bob

clayking

I bought a sw 10 shot, 6" 617. Great gun, very accurate.
I also bought the Ruger Mark 111, great gun, very accurate.
I took both to the range many times.
Then I realized that I liked to shoot one more than the other.
I sold the 617.............................ck

posigian

I do like the 617 and that is what I’m sure I'll end up with. More important than that is my original question of what kind of competition shooting (ie IDPA, IPSAC, ect…) is out there for the 22 cal?

posigian

Laker

I shot in a rimfire league all summer at a local club. It wasn't national organized, but a lot of fun. Bowling pins on Wednesdays, steel plates on Sundays. Rifle, semiauto pistol, and revolver classes in both. I shot a Remington 597 semiauto target rifle, a Browning Buckmark Target semiauto pistol, and a Taurus 990 Tracker revolver. Check local shooting ranges and clubs, you may find something similar. Good luck in your search for a firearm, and some competition.

kle

posigian said:
More important than that is my original question of what kind of competition shooting (ie IDPA, IPSAC, ect…) is out there for the 22 cal?

I shoot in a .22 Bullseye League using my 6" 10-shot 617, and I also compete in local Bullseye 2700 matches using the 617 for the .22 aggregate (for centerfire and .45 I use other revolvers)

4051647611_22a9df4459.jpg

Stainz

Below are my current production 5" 63, SKU #162450, and 4" 617, SKU #160584, both bought new in the last year.

IMG_3912.jpg

I've cleaned up quite a few new S&W centerfire lockworks in K,L, & N frames - never a J frame - the 63 was a first. The 617 got a full strength Wolff hammer leaf - and an adjustable strain screw - to give additional pre-load, as the current stock strain screws go into the hump on the Wolff leaf springs, lowering the pre-load at the tightest setting. I only polish the axial areas - not engagement areas - they 'wear in' with use. The 617 is quite nice - still stiffer than a cf, but that's because the rimfire just takes more fp impact energy to ignite reliably.

The J-frame is a another, and quite different, animal. First, the rimfire needs more impact. The hammer's lever arm is shorter - you need a more stout spring. Finally, they used a coil spring for the hammer - they just aren't as smooth. Take a 642 - it uses an 8.5# hammer spring - and is not real nice 'out of the box'. For the 317, 351, & 63, they use a 12# spring. I changed that to a 9#, replaced the trigger rebound spring, and eased the lockwork. The 617 is still finer, but the 63 is far better than it was. It's a great plinker, especially after adding the Hogue square conversion grips.

The 617 has sent many, many more rounds downrange - it's HiViz front sight and those Ahrends Retro Target grips help. It would be my choice for any kind of competition. The local Steel Plate Challenge competitions left the fixed steel plates for rebounders, so I didn't get to use the rimfires. They will likely go back to fixed plates, as the rebounders keep breaking (old age). Oddly, I was plinking with the 617 last winter when a steel plate wiggled after I hit it - and fell off (The nut slipped off!)! A friend quipped. "You must have been using HVs!". The 63 is fun - the 617 is more fun.

Stainz

PS I sold my Ruger KMK-678GC to buy the 617 - should have done that years ago!

posigian

Bullseye, bowling pins, plates, ect...really good to hear that there are things out there to do once I get me a 22. Its about time I joined a local club anyway so now my search for one begins.

Thank you everyone for your feedback,
posigian