I want a High Capacity .45acp Rifle

EdInk

Help me! I want to find a high capacity rifle in .45 acp. It needs to
be current production and not just an "stretched pistol" like the Storm or Hi-Point rifles. Which don't have higher capacity than the pistols anyway. I've heard the Kahr Thompson are a waste of time and the MPA's (MAC-rifles) are
stupidly heavy.

Does anyone know of anything?!!! H&K makes one BUT only with 10rd mags that are IMHO useless. Help please????!!!!!!

EdInk

No thanks on anything AR. I appreciate it though. The H&K USC would be awesome if it had higher capacity magazines! Thanks for nothing H&K!

the rifleer

What is the purpose of this gun? is it just to plink with? You wont be interested in this, but there are conversions for the lee enfield to make them .45. i always though that was cool.

EdInk

Basically and not the boltgun conversions doesn't fit the
bill but it's neat. I hope somebody has a few good ideas.

bamaranger

Marlin camp gun .45

Marlin made a .45 ACP carbine, but it used 7 rd mags, not really hi-cap. I might be possible to use a long .45 aftermarket mag modified to fit a Marlin. There were outfits tweaking various auto pistol mags to fit the marlin when it was in production

There is a conversion for a glock or colt pistol receiver, but that doesn't seem to be what you're after either. The glock would have a hi-cap type mag.

Somebody will chime in w/ the conversion soon.

EdInk

May as well just have Glock pistol FWIW. :rolleyes:

No one makes like civilian SMG type rifle with high cap mags?
I've been look but with no luck!!!!

eastbank

the thompson 27 clones will take a 50 round drum. and they make a lightweight. i wanted some thing like that,but got a m-1 carbine instead and its better i think,better range and cheap. eastbank.

wayne in boca

See if you can find a Rhineland FAL conversion.No longer in production,but I have one and it is sweet.Uses 30 round M3 grease gun mags,and has a 16" barrel.

rtpzwms

I have a Kahr Thompson and for me it works great. You can get a 100 round drum magazine for it as well. I have heard that loading them (drum magazines) is difficult as compared to the stick magazines. As I have no experience loading them I will tell you that this is NOT first hand knowledge but hearsay and should be taken with a grain of salt.

I did replace the recoil spring with a wolff spring found here. I can tell you that charging the bolt is very stiff and that the ammunition you use will make a difference. Since I reload this has not been much fo a problem. I've been using a round nose 230grain bullet with 6.7grains of unique powder.

I can also tell you that mine seems to like being a little on the wet side with oil. It will also burn bullets at a vary fast pace. I live in CA and can only use the 10 round magazines. But with a couple of magazines it goes through a LOT of ammunition and its a real blast.

If you don't care for Kahr then find one that is pre Kahr. These things will cause a lot of interest when you pull one out at the range. Your buddy list will increase 10 fold at the range when you pull this out.

madcratebuilder

The Auto Ordinance/Kahr Thompson can be made to function with a little work, 30 round stick and 50 round drum. I had to polish the feed ramp on mine, work on the surplus stick mags a bit. Better recoil spring is a must. It's big and heavy.

I know a couple of guys with suppressed AR's in .45acp, pretty impressive rifles. Light weight and reliable, probably the best choice.

There are some lever guns in .45acp.

TJH3781

You could try a Mech Tec conversion unit for either a Para Ordinance or Glock. It is a little heavy, but would give you a large capacity .45 carbine.

The only possible problem is that you are converting a handgun to a rifle & may never be legally able to convert it back without it becoming a NFA weapon. I suppose one could by a frame & declare it as a rifle part, but I do not know if that is Kosher or not.

thesheepdog

There are some 1911 conversions out there that'll turn your pistol into a rifle, but i think that turns your 1911 into an NFA item.

knight0334

Marlin made a .45 ACP carbine, but it used 7 rd mags, not really hi-cap. I might be possible to use a long .45 aftermarket mag modified to fit a Marlin. There were outfits tweaking various auto pistol mags to fit the marlin when it was in production

There is a conversion for a glock or colt pistol receiver, but that doesn't seem to be what you're after either. The glock would have a hi-cap type mag.

Somebody will chime in w/ the conversion soon.

That Marlin Camp 45 used 1911 magazines. No mods necessary to use higher capacity single stack 1911 mags.

The Marlin Camp 9 used S&W 59 series 9mm mags.

EdInk

No thanks on the KRISS spaceblaster. I've heard good things about them bit they are too weird looking for me.

The Thompson would be cool EXCEPT even from the happy owners I here they take a bit of effort to make operate even somewhat properly. Really wish they would work well. Always wanted a Thompson but........

All the glock and 1911 conversions are just ways to make a pistol bigger. May as well just leave it as pistol. The only exception is that MagPul flashlight glock rifle transformer thing. Even that isn't what I want really.

I am honestly a little surprised at the difficulty of finding something like I have in mind. I guess it will leave me something to hope for getting one day.

azredhawk44

Tell us what you ARE looking for, Ed.

It sounds like you don't want something with a pistol-style magazine of any variety, and want a receiver design that has the magazine forward of the trigger.

That's fine, but it makes the bolt and chamber wind up forward of your grip rather than directly above it, and with a 16" minimum legal barrel length, you start getting into something more "rifle" sized than the .45acp is best suited at (IMO, a .45acp carbine is best suited to home defense or other intermediate range roles less than 100 yards).

Putting the mag into the grip shortens the receiver by several inches, which puts the crown of the barrel back by several inches.

I understand the distaste for the KRISS and MAC series of firearms. The KRISS makes me think of the sonic weapons from the 80's movie "Dune.":rolleyes: The MAC is, well, a MAC.

At what point is capacity acceptable, and at what point is the length of a stick mag unacceptable, and at what point is the weight of a magazine unacceptable? These are very serious concerns when it comes to a .45acp carbine.

chris in va

45ACP is not a rifle round by any stretch of the imagination. You're lucky to find something in carbine length for it. IIRC the bullet actually starts losing velocity past ~16 inches of barrel length, but I could be wrong on that.

I guess the closest you can get would be a Marlin Camp Carbine and get the drum mag for it...

Last edited:

EdInk

Sorry I thought it was pretty clear. Something like the H&K USC but with high caapacity mags. The Marlin Camp rifle would be cool too. Wish they still made them. I don't know why but for some reason I don't like buying used guns that are already discontinued. Nervous about parts and service issues....

Like I said nothing out there seems to fit the bill that's known to be reliable. Oh well.

sixxgunnernick

Sig makes a sweet .45 rifle I would like to have but its only ten rounds per mag.Its still very sweet looking and cost like 650.00 bucks.