I want a henry but which one?

L2R

This would be my first purchase that is not based on purpose or need.
I just want one to have and then pass on to the next generations.

Not much of a hunter anymore, more of a plinker but I always want to bear in mind that any weapon might be needed for an unexpected need or purpose in the future.

I won't shoot it much if at all so ammo cost is negligible.

I have carbine, 22 and a 270 already.

Thinking a 22 wmr or 30/30. Either would / could fill a niche I don't have now.

Ideas, reasons to buy one over the other?
I am still struggling with the steel vs. the brass. I really want the octagon barrel but if I buy the brass one, it surely will be a safe queen.
If I buy the steel in 30/30, I would probably do some deer hunting with it.

Last edited:
Can you hunt deer with .22 WMR in NC? It's not legal around here.

I have a Henry H001, the original in .22 LR. Great rifle. I agonized over the choice between .22 LR and .22 WMR. I finally went with the .22 LR because of cost of ammo, but in the decade since I bought the rifle I have shot it a lot LESS than I anticipated, so the ammo cost difference wouldn't have been nearly as significant as what I had mentally calculated. Now I really wish I had bought the magnum, but I can't justify either adding another, or trying to sell the one I have toward a magnum.

L2R

hunting

I can see where I left this open ended but no, you cannot hunt deer with a 22.
I corrected my opening statement.

That is just it, this isn't a need or niche purchase, thus the problem of picking which one.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts to weight in on why one would be a better pick, particularly if someone had experience with Henry's.

Your statement is spot on as I think that this won't see much action on the range much less the field as I have other, probably better options. That sways me to think a Golden boy is the way to go.

Now, I just need to nail down the caliber choices.

Skans

Personally, I'd choose a Henry in 30-30, solid brass receiver and octagonal barrel.

- 30-30 because its a useful cartridge and the ammo is easy to find.
- Brass receiver because its pretty, its unique, and what's the point of owning something called "Henry" if it isn't made of brass.
- Octagonal barrel because its a classic touch to a classic rifle.

Strafer Gott

Golden Boy in .357/.38SPL for my range queen. It's cheap shooting for a centerfire rifle. The Golden boy is a bit heavy for carrying very far. I have Winchesters to actually take hunting, and a model 99 Savage for big meat hunting.