I want a Galil now..

Tatsumi67

I just got back from seeing Distrcit 9, and I must say a fan original short film Alive in Joburg I was really impressed with it.

But i'll cut to the chase: Maybe it was seeing it in action or seeing it in the hands of Cobus Claassens, but I want a Galil now. Actually they were the Vektor R4 produced copies but I still want a Galil.

What are my options? In terms of price and avability? Any Owners want to chime in?

Last edited:

Lashlarue

Century's are still available at reasonable prices. The pre-ban stuff is in the 2-3,000 range and most forget these were kit guns, most put together by Arsenal whose reputation if only a notch up from Century.ORf receivers are available, but problems with them are well documented and $1250 for a total Orf build borders on ridiculous.Anything built now has to be 922r compliant so with a cast Caspian receiver and a brand new Green Mountain barrel, I would assume that a new US made FCG is part of the Century package.The rest of the parts are from well used either South African or South American kits.Only a relative few IMI rifles were ever actually used by the IDF, but thousands were exported all over the world.All of the Gal series and the first few thousand of the Gln series rifles were recalled to have the free floating firing pin replaced with a spring loaded one, due to a number of slamfires.Almost all have ill fitting bullet guides[short], but a good gunsmith can repair these relatively cheaply.Decent magazines are in short supply, Orlites require modification and most of the used steel ones are junk.But my Century after one trip back to Vt looks and operates as it should.Mine will shoot AR size groups, but my SHTF rifle is a Saiga.My steel Galil mag will snap right into my Saiga , the reverse is not true for any of my 4 Saiga mags.

PatriaLibre

unrelated to the question, but I just realized the root of the mercenaries names. Cobus Claassen was the founder of one of the first private military corporations, Executive Outcomes, that was made up primarily of South African Military forces after the fall of the Apartheid government. I dont know why that didn't connect before, but there you are, the more you know.:D

lt dan

executive outcomes!!!! wow i didnt think i would see that name on this forum or any forum for that matter. when i was in the army we used to stick to to executive outcomes nickname:
"impresive incomes". lol

Last edited:

FireCop203

I have one of the Century Galil's. I lucked out and got a good one. A friend of mine bought one at the same time from the same store and got one that had constant problems. I've had to modify the plastic magazines to fit and function properly, but thats it. From what I've been told, the plastic magazines were originally made for the original Galil's and the Century's magazine wells are different spec. The is some information posted about it over on UZITalk.com.

41er

I saw a bottom folder yesterday at the gun show for $699.00 in the box. It was an awesome looking weapon!

mp25ds4

I do too, I saw district 9 on Friday, probably the best movie ive seen since Batman: The Dark Knight, I also want one of those Alien Weapons:D

lt dan

guys i feel it my duty to tell you that the rifles you saw in the movie are R4's.

a mix between a galil and a ak 47. i received my mil training on this rifle and went on to use it extensively as well as being an instructor on it.

to the best of my knowledge in the 4 years i had to deal with this rifle we had no problems with it. it is very accurate has a 35 or 50 round mag option can fire rifle grenades. it has a bi-pot with wire cutters and tin opener. it has a folding stock and most important the troops will bet their lives on it.

having been exposed to Russian, Chinese,Check , Korean and so on built AK 47 more often than need be, i always shake my head when i read about the so called ak 47 devotees.

the AK 47 is at best a decent rifle. the R4 and its variants is not well known as it was a product of the then Apartheid government. so, abroad, you could like it as much as you want to,you just could not admit it.

in short you can see the R4 as a assault weapon with ak 47 reliability with FN FAL accuracy.

Bart Noir

It dan, please let us know more about the differences between the R4 and the Galil. I thought they were virtually the same. At least that is what several books have told me.

But I have seen enough mistakes in books that I like to hear from those who have "been there, fired that" :D

Bart Noir

Bart Noir

Galil made in Columbia

The last place making the Galil is/was Columbia. In fact one mag article (in Small Arms Review) said that Israel even bought some from Columbia.

I suspect they were not including South Africa in that statement, but maybe they were. Did SA ever stop making the R4?

So I dream of kits from Columbia coming into the USA for building of the "Colani" rifle. Or at least Columbia becoming a source of cheaper magazines.

Bart Noir
Who made up that Colani name. Golani from Columbia, it just had to be Colani.

GONIF

Were the Galil all that good the Isreali army would still be useing it as their main issue rifle instead of the M16/M4.:eek:

Lashlarue

If you want to see a movie that will make you gun crazy, rent a copy of "The way of the gun" Benicio Del Toro uses a Galil in it.There are some goofs in it, see if you spot them. Really is a good movie if you like shoot-em-ups. Other actors in it are Taye Diggs,James Caan,Ryan Phillipe and Juliette Lewis. Sarah Silverman does her thing at the beginning of the movie.I think her character was called "Raving Bitch"

gotigers

I have only held a few galils. never shot one. but i did not care for the balance. It seemed to have a heavy forend.

GONIF

lets see ,it started with an AK47 than it was improved and than came the valmet,than that was improved into the Galil. and some say the German Stormguvaier (spelling )started it all . I think Iserial at one point decided that the Galil's short commings were far too numerious and adopted the M16/M4 .
I myself own a (NON century) Galil and a Valmet,and I have 11 variants of the Ak47/Ak74's . what I shoot most is an AR ,and that would be my first choice all around .:D
If you want a Galil,you would do well to have one built. CIA Century has a reputation of building poor Quality firearms .