I want a fun gun (.22 rifle)

Wrascal

I've been thinking about adding a .22 rifle. It needs to be Fun! (Not fine.)

I also want cheap - as it will get banged up - and I don't want to care; it'll add character.

The stock Ruger 10/22 seems (to me) to fit this description. Is it durable/fun enough for this kind of use/abuse?

What are your alternative suggestions?

mikejonestkd

there's a thread in the rifles section discussing the marlin 60 VS the ruger 10/22. Take a look to see the comments on the two rifles

Both are good plinkers and are at the top of the list for economical .22lr fun rifles to own.

I suggest seeing which one feels best and fits you better.

Wrascal

That was too quick. I guess I was asking if there were any bolts or levers that also fit this description, cheap and FUN.

mikejonestkd

I SPECIALIZE in cheap and fun.

Anschutz Meister grade 1710 ought to be about right for you with a nice german scope - should set you back a little over $2500 total for the package...

What, OH!!! Cheap :rolleyes: ....never mind about the anshutz

Marlin 25, and the various variations of it are good cheap plinkers and fairly accurate

Savage 93 mark II are nice too for the money

CZ seems to be taking the rimfire world by storm with their 452 and 453 rifles but they are a bit more costly than the marliin or savage.

Again, look at the rifles section, there is a fairly recent thread on .22 rifles. or use the search feature.

henry levers are fairly cheap and considered fun, marlin levers are more expensive but very well made.

boltgun71

For a bolt action look at Savage's MK II series. They are very reliable, accurate, cheap, and take a beating. Lots to choose from to suit your taste also. Hope this helps.

jakeswensonmt

The 10/22 sure fills the bill for cheap and fun.

You can find good used ones for $100. I've read on rugerforum and rimfirecentral that the major components of a 10/22 are good for 500,000 rounds, not including springs, etc. That's good plinking value. I'm working on verifying that, should have the results in about fifty years.

And if you feel like it later, you can upgrade it piece by piece into a $1500 competition-grade tack driver.

Chris Phelps

Or just try to get a Remington Viper used. (they dont make them anymore).

You might be hard pressed to find one, as most owners are quite reluctant to give it up, but its possible. They were cheap as hell, too.

Look here forn a description of what my Viper has survived.

22-rimfire

Cheap and fun.... choose a Marlin or Ruger 10/22. I don't keep up on pricing of the levers, but the Browning BL-22 is a great lever action 22 rifle. The Marlin 39A is also excellent, but fairly expensive. Never shot a Henry, so I can't comment on them.

sparkysteve

Aren't all guns fun?

But yes my 10/22 gets shot more than any other gun I own. Cheap and fun........and accurate........and reliable..........and its easy to find parts and accesories for 'em. You can't beat it if you ask me.

FirstFreedom

Holy Crap, Chris! I can't believe no one sniped that $60 bid on that Viper! It actually went for a measly $60 - dang, I shoulda bid on it. :(

Tom2

Ruger is just the thing if you want to shoot 22 LR. Will last forever and reliable if you do at least minimal cleaning and lube. You could get a bolt gun though, if you want to broaden your ammo possibilities. Or even a lever. Then you can shoot LR, shorts, and those little noiseless CB caps or other ultra low power ammo in a basement or something. Well you can single load any of them into a bolt gun. Levers often will feed the shorts etc. but not guaranteed, depending on model. I have a RUger and also a German single shot bolt that you can drop anything into and you are good to go.

Chris Phelps

lol First... if I had the money for it, I would have snatched that piece up in a heartbeat! I would love to own a second one.

Wrascal

Looking at the Marlin link (above), I think I like the looks of it better than the Ruger. It looks more cow-boyish. Is that a real word - where is the Nazi checker?

I'll see if I can fondle one.

Tom2

It is probably best expressed as cowboyish or cowboy-ish. Cow-boyish has some implications that I am reticent to expand on here. :eek: Fondle one?

Big Caliber

One of the guys in this forum referred me to site tou might want to check out, it's called "RimfireCentral.com". There's alota stuff to see. Happy plinking.