I want a .17HMR!

Ok, thats it, I want one....What should I get? Something cheap, but something that'll work...I really don't know much about the cartridge.

TPAW

Optical Senerity

My son and I both have the Marlin 917V .17 HMR. They are tack drivers! At 50 yards ONE HOLE! At 100 yards, clover leaf that can easily be covered with a dime!
Very happy and satisfied. If you get one, try different brands of ammo to see what the rifle likes.
Point of interest! My son broke his in "the proper way" and I just started shooting from the box. Both produced equally when we switched off rifles to one another. Just a few adjustments on the scopes were necessary.

American4guns

I bought a savage 17HMR with heavey stainless barrel and bushnel 3x9 scope.
I tried to sight it in on a windy day and it was still pretty accurate at 50 yard.
I love it.I paid 239 for the rifle scope combo.Check out the savage sight.IMO savage makes a quality rifle for anice price.The only thing i wish it had was the accu trigger

gamma

+1 on the Savage.

My brother shoots a synthetic stock stainless barrel .17 HMR Savagel with consistent 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. He uses the cheap plastic rests that the range has. He's no professional either as the .17 is his first and only rifle. Hell, even I shoot well with his Savage.

And the rifle was in the $220.00 range from Wal-Mart.

FirstFreedom

Shoot, the blued/wood Marlin is like $169 or $179 tops, and that's with a heavy barrel. The synthetic one should cost less than that. I'd go with the Marlin if there's that much price difference.

esldude

Marlin or Savage. Eithe will shoot very well. Savage has been coming out with Accutrigger on their rimfires. That would make the decision to me currently. But I have seen either shoot very nicely.

tennsooner

I bought my son a Savage 17 hmr and it is just a blast to shoot. I enjoyed it so much a dreamed up an excuse to reward him with a 17 Mach 2 semi auto from Thompson center. it is a blast too and only costs about half as much to shoot as the hmr. I really like both rounds and was amazed by how accurate they both are.

tennsooner

A friend of mine who " isn't in the market for a new gun" shot my son's Mach 2 last weekend just went down today and bought him one. Those damn guns should come with a warning CAUTION : shooting this could be hazarous to your pocketbook. :D :D

OneInTheChamber

The mach 2 is a nice round, but doesnt do what the HMR does.

You tell that to the squirrel that "used" to dig holes in my yard.

It is only a 300 fps difference with the same bullet between the HM2 and the HMR.

The .17 HM2 is extremely accurate and knows what to do when it finds its new "home". So is the HMR, but at twice the price. For its intended targets (nothing larger than a prarie dog), both do just fine.

Cmu_Sniper

Just some info on the .17HMR vs .17 HM2
This a quote from the web page below
Nor is the .17 M2 comparable to the .17 HMR, as the .17 HMR shoots flatter and hits harder than its little brother. Using the same 100 yard zero, the .17 HMR's trajectory shows only 2.6" of bullet drop at 150 yards, and it retains 99 ft. lbs. of energy at that distance.

But 300fps is the only difference as one says/

http://www.chuckhawks.com/17_M2.htm

FirstFreedom

Sure. I got a wood-stocked, heavy barreled Marlin 917 at walmart for I think $169 plus tax awhile back. Didn't have it at my usual gun store.