I took delivery of a S&W 1911.

FoghornLeghorn

Anyone else own one? I also have a Colt Gold Cup and a Colt Combat Commander, both Series 80. If the Smith has been fired, I can't tell it.

The Smith is the only 1911 I own with an external extractor. Two of my Sigs have external extractors and I like them fine.

How do you like your S&W1911?

Attachments

• left.png
    left.png
    585.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Right.png
    Right.png
    595.9 KB · Views: 95

44 AMP

Staff
My son left his SW 1911PD in my keeping while he was deployed. Fine gun, well made (of course) no issues at all, other than features I didn't care for, personally.

I don't know for certain about your gun, but his wouldn't take standard GI/Commerical grips. S&W spaced the bushings just a bit too far apart, and so only S&W grips (or ones made for the S&W) would fit properly.

His gun was very accurate, going about 2.5" @ 25yds with Blazer ball. Trigger was very good, not the absolute best I've ever used but waay better than most stock service class guns.

Personally, I never cared for the "whale tail" grip safety (never needed one) and I detest the "speed bump" hump on the grip safety. It bugs me, doesn't feel good. My son doesn't mind it at all. IF it works for you, enjoy it!!

internal vs external extractor isn't a concern for me, both work, both can fail. I consider it a wash.

Forte S+W

Very nice pistol.

I've repeatedly had my eye on SW1911s throughout the years, but unfortunately never got one and probably never will. Yours is an older model which appears to take secondary styling cues from S&W's 3rd Gen Semiautos like this 4006TSW.

attachment.php

More recent examples likewise take secondary styling cues from the M&P Series.

smee78

That rear sight looks like a Millett or a copy of one, overall a really nice, clean-looking gun.

Forte S&W- That is a clean-looking 4006TSW with the rail built into the frame you have there. So much cleaner than the add-on rails on the earlier guns.

Both real nice S&W pistols.

jmr40

I had one just like that. And another with fixed sights. IME the Smith 1911's were every bit as good as a Colt or any other manufacturer. Highly underrated.

I'm out of the 1911 game now, but the Smith was the last one I sold.

Forte S+W

@smee78
It's an extremely photogenic pistol. In real life it actually has a fair bit of wear, with light scratches all over the finish on the frame and a few deep scratches at the muzzle end of the slide, but under bright natural lighting they blend together so well that it appears to be an otherwise pristine factory bead-blasted finish.
However, as the former sidearm of a California Highway Patrolman, I consider the wear to be just part of its mystique.

44caliberkid

I usually buy guns with some historical wear, that look like they’ve been used or carried. They are generally cheaper than pristine examples, and since I shoot everything I own, they don’t stay pristine for long.