I thought I knew what I wanted, AND THEN...

pathdoc

What I thought I wanted was a Savage Axis in .223 Remington, after having also handled the Thompson-Center Venture and the Tikka T3. I had heard whispers that a new Axis with an Accu-trigger was coming out soon, and would be worth the wait (can anyone verify this?).

However, what should drop into the mailbox this afternoon but the latest Cabelas catalogue, in which I learn of the existence of the Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter. With Accu-trigger. And a thumbhole stock (which would be a new thing for me, but neither a deal-maker nor deal-breaker).

It is substantially more expensive than the price I've been quoted for the Axis, closer to that quoted for the T3 and the Venture. And on top of that, a scope and mounts would have to be bought.

Question: worth considering? Or just a shiny distraction? (The catalogue also offers the 11/111 and 16/116 for an in-between price, with scope. Yet another shiny distraction...)

There's a part of me that says just forget it; I've seen more than enough reviews from people who are happy with their Axis and who can get out of it everything I'd want to do with a small-calibre centrefire rifle. And I've handled the bloody thing in the LGS and it feels good in the hand and on the shoulder and to dry-fire, even without the fancy trigger (though I prefer a two-stage "feel"). I've generally ended up being happy with guns that do this once I've taken them home and fired them a little. Ordering straight off the page just doesn't feel right somehow.

EchoM70

Yes the Axis II is due out soonish, summer I think? It's got an accutrigger and will be priced slightly higher than the Axis.

steveNChunter

I have an Axis stainless in .223. I have clipped the spring and polished a little and have the factory non-accutrigger down to a crisp 3 pounds. I handload for mine and consistently get groups in the .2's and .3's. I also got a Boyd's laminate stock for mine, which is definitely an upgrade over the flimsy factory stock. In factory trim the Axis is not on par with the other rifles you mentioned. But with an aftermarket stock and trigger job(Rifle Basix and Timney also make triggers for the Axis), it turns into a whole different rifle ;)

Here's a link to a thread on my Axis-

http://http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538478&highlight=savage+axis&page=2

If you just put a Boyd's stock on the rifle and do the trigger job instead of buying an aftermarket trigger for it, you will only have about $100 more in the rifle.

If you want a "turn key" setup that doesn't involve buying/installing/fixing anything, the Savage model 25 would be my first choice but any of them will do.

Last edited:
The Venture is good stuff, Maynard. Doesn't it have 5R rifling? And that bomb-proof-looking bolt? They ooze quality, to me... To me that's a no brainer up against even a plain jane Savage 10/11/12 etc., let alone an Axis.

handlerer2

Given the choices, the Venture would be a no-brainer for me. I don't want get into my drilled bar stock rant. I'm skeptical about cataloge firearms sales. I have never done this, I like to handle and cycle firearms before I lay out money. Also I have heard rumors of less than satisfying customer service regarding Savage on this and other sites recently. Just rumors though. Everyone I've known with Savages rifles has been pleased.

pathdoc

Thanks for input so far.

I would be handloading also, at least after the first few boxes of factory fodder to generate brass to reload with and set some sort of performance baseline. I haven't ever shot a small-calibre centrefire before, so I'd be quite happy to roll with the factory stock for a bit while I got used to the new calibre. I could always swap out to something else later if I wasn't happy with the performance I was getting.

I'm skeptical about cataloge firearms sales. I have never done this, I like to handle and cycle firearms before I lay out money.

I agree entirely, and anything I saw in a catalogue I'd want to try & handle in the store before I coughed up money. I have, admittedly, bought a gun I first saw in a catalogue - but only because I'd handled it in person and decided it was indeed just the thing for me.

Picher

I presently don't own any Savages, but have been impressed with some of the higher-end models of late. My first deer rifle was a Savage 110, bought at the age of 15, when I should have saved a few more dollars and gotten a Win. Mod. 70, or Rem 721 or 725.

Savages are pretty accurate rifles, but I can't get past the look of the action anymore.

I'd recommend the Weatherby Vanguard S2. They're very nice rifles, though a bit on the heavy side for a lot of carrying. It should be quite stable on the range.

If you want a rifle that carries well, the T3 is really good. The Ruger American accuracy is impressive, though I don't care much for the pistol grip and forend treatment.