I think I've been bitten by the wheel gun bug... Looking for next choice

Bigfatts

So I've been messing around with my Model 36 round butt and have ordered grips and acquired a T grip for it and I love it more and more as I handle it. I have been carrying it since I bought it and it's so easy! To conceal, etc. I almost forget about it.

Anyways, I am already thinking about my next. My handgun selection is tiny compared to my long gun choices so I think I will add another revolver. I have seen a couple Colt Detective Specials in a couple shops around and like them but I'm kind of thinking about something a little larger. Maybe a 3 or 4" barrel. I would really like a .45 LC or .44 Special. No particular reason, I just have never had either one and I would like to. Just looking for some ideas. I prefer blued over SS. And I don't want a single action.

Bigfatts

Wow, that is a nice one. It will most likely go for much more than I can spend right now though. If I was going to spend that much, I've always wanted a Schofield... I like the size and caliber of that S&W but I don't need anything custom or collectible.

bossman

Buy you a S&W N-frame 45acp. Sooner or later you will end up buying a 1911 45acp, or three, and they'll shoot the same bullet.

I have the S&W model 22-4 in 45 acp and love it. It goes well with all my 45 auto's.

5686890509_d5de3f2046_z.jpg

Bigfatts

Shotgun693, I am aware they're single action. I want another DA right now, but have always loved the Schofield.

Bossman, I've had my share of 1911's, although I currently don't own one. I'm not sold on the moon clip thing yet. It's always a possibility, but if I have a .45 LC or .44, it would give me an excuse to buy a matching lever gun too. You have to plan ahead. :D

bossman

Moonclips are where it's at. I try to keep about 25 loaded up ( 150 rounds ). A whole lot cheaper than 20 1911 mags. Easy to load with a set of channel lock pliars. I made a homemade demooner that works great. I think you'd be surprised how fast you can shoot them. Try'm you'll like'm.

clang

How about a Model 10? Litterally millions of M&Ps have been carried as duty weapons by Military and Police in harm's way, so this gun has a lot of history.

Most are 38 Special, so it will use the same ammo as your Chief's Special.

A nice example can be had in the $275-$300 price range.

I suggest you find an older example (pre-lock, pre-MIM). I have a particular fondness for the 4" Heavy Barrel, but they are all good.

If you have to go large caliber, expect to pay significantly more. You might luck out and find an old Brazilian contract in .45ACP for a decent price, but all the S&W N frames have gotten expensive.

Bigfatts

I've thought about a Model 10. But if I don't go .40+ then I'll look for a .357 probably. I'm really at the mercy of the local shops and what pops up in them. Revolvers aren't too popular around here lately, or so it seems. Lots of big caliber hunting revolvers and Ruger single actions but not a whole lot of what I tend to like. I have been looking at a Colt Detective Special in a local shop though. I know it's another .38 snub but I sure do like it. I'm not in a rush though, so we'll see what pops up.

Bigfatts

Boba, that's a beauty. What is it?

I have been looking at the Chiappa Rhino the last couple days. I'm in love but I doubt I will be able to afford a new one and I think finding a used one would be a miracle. :(

P-990

Keep a list of a few different options in mind, so there's always a possibility the shop will have something you're interested in! :D

Seriously, stay on the lookout for a 4" S&W M-19, 15, 10 or 13 if you want something blued. The M-19 and 13 are .357s, the 10 and 15 .38 Specials. If you can stand stainless, that opens up their counterparts, 66, 65, 64 and 67s. See also L-frames, the 581/681 and 586/686, these are normally .357s.

And I second that the big frame S&Ws are going to big money. I didn't read what your budget range is, but a .44 or .45-caliber S&W is going to go for $550-600 and up on the used market. Even the wonderful M-28 Highway Patrolman .357s (big, beefy revolver; it's a .357 on the .44 frame) are going for $500+ in shooter-condition around here.

Edited: Because I like this picture. The middle one is a Model 19 .357 Mag, the bottom a 586 .357. Incidentally, neither was exactly what I was looking for at the time I grabbed them, but both have proven to be great shooters. I have a set of maple Ahrends on the way for the 586, it came with rubber grips that had to go for this picture. And the one at the top is a Model 18 in .22LR that I also wasn't really looking for, but had to have.

SmithFamily.jpg

I just put $50 down on a new Redhawk. They are backordered ATM.

Anyway, they come in .45 Colt or .44 Magnum (if you're a girly man).

Way tougher than any S&W. In fact Buffalo Bore sells ammo specific for these Rugers and a few others, but not to be used in Smiths.

rugerredhawk.jpg

Bigfatts

I know the Rugers are very beefy. I just don't really care for the way they look. I'm not hunting with this thing, I don't particularly need over the top super ammo.

Viper225

In a Smith & Wesson you are probably not going to go bigger bore than a 357 without spending $700 on the very low end of the scale.

A Smith & Wesson 19/66, 13/65, 581/681, or 586/686 will probably fix you up in good style. Barrel lengths from 2" thru 8-3/8" you can find something you like in a 357 Magnum.

Where exactly do you live?? Lutz ??

Bob

hounddawg

I think I was bitten by the bug also. I am thinking either a Uberti or Ruger Bisley in 45 LC or a S&W Model M&P340 in .22

Bigfatts

Yea, 700 will be about at the top of my price range. So I will be looking for good deals on used guns. Maybe hit a gunshow, revolvers don't usually fetch a premium at the shows around here from what I've seen. I guess they aren't tactical enough. And Lutz is in FL.

lincoln5

If you have a line on some clean Detective Specials at a good price, you should consider one of those. They are a good investment. Also, any "N" frame S&W is always a good investment. A Ruger is a good buy for a "shooter", but unless it's an old "three screw" single action, the resale value drops like a rock compared to a Colt or older Smith.

Bigfatts

I have seen 2 of the Colts in local shops. One is a little rough finish wise and has a T Grip. The other is very clean and in very good shape. Both are around the same price. I'm waiting for the gunshow next weekend before I buy anything.