I think I want a 9mm - Suggestions? Have a small budget..

AdrianVall

Hey guys,

After doing a bit of searching, I think I've decided to go with some type of Semi Auto 9mm hand gun.

I have a small budget. I'd like to spend no more then $300 if its even possible, but may consider a little bit more if necessary. But like I said, I don't have much money.

So with that said, what would you guys suggest around that price range?

This is my first gun. I will be taking a beginners course this weekend or the next for sure, and will be getting some range time and I'll rent a few guns to try.

The gun will be for home defense.. but I will be getting my CCW license fairly soon, and would like to start to carry fairly often, so a concealable weapon is obviously a priority. I want something that I can take to the range that I'll be able to enjoy. Something that is solid. I help some type of smaller semi auto and it felt like a damn toy. It was way to small. I then held some type of Glock 9mm that felt PERFECT. I didn't catch what model it was however, but it felt very nice, solid/sturdy. I've gotten a few suggestions, but I'm just so overwhelmed with the amount of options. Some of the options are WAY over my budget.

Should I be considering any other calibers? I'd prefer something that has ammunition readily available, some not to expensive.

Thanks guys!
Adrian

frolic1

Bersa makes good and reliable low cost guns and the make a 9 mm, Bersa Thunder 9 mm. You can Google that for more information but it should meet your needs. 9 x 19 mm (or 9 mm Luger) is an excellent choice now days. Other than .22 cal it's the cheapest ammo available and it is available (.380 or 9 x 17 mm is smaller but twice as expensive if you can find it). You should be able to get a box of 9 mm Luger 50 for $15 or less on line.

CWPinSC

I seldom recommend specific guns, but the Keltec PF-9 fits your description. I've owned one and liked it a lot. It's light, small, and easily concealable almost anywhere on your person. Mine was 100% reliable with over 2,000 rounds through it. It's plenty accurate enough for "social" work. I carried Corbon DPX (115 gr. +p) in it. This is a formidable SD round.

The only two drawbacks are the long, heavy DA trigger pull and the recoil. Both are easily manageable with practice.

DieHard06

I too, started out with a 9mm and a small budget. Like you I tried several guns and loved the Glock. If you are getting a conceal carry permit soon, then I would recommend a Glock 19 based off of what you have already said. The Glock 19 is their mid-size or compact model and its handle is thinner and easier to handle than some of their full size models. It is perfect for both home defense and concealed carry. A Glock 17 is also great, but would be harder to conceal. Anyway, new these will run you around $550, but you could find one used for less. If I could only have one handgun it would be a Glock 19. I hope this helps. Save up for the gun you really like.

LSU12ga

At the extreme risk of being flamed...

I did not grow up around guns (even with a father in the military) but I wanted to get a pistol in addition to my 870. I'm a student without a lot of capital, so I picked up a hi-point 9mm for 150 from a LGS. Its a decent pistol, others on this forum (and I'm not trying to incite a hi-point thread) might disagree, but for the money I have a heavy and ugly 9mm. I also got to put 200 rounds through it at the local range, and bought a cleaning kit and case for under 200$. In my opinion, this is hard to beat. As my first gun, I was pretty skeptical about how I would handle keeping a handgun at home. Now that i know I like it, next year I'll save up a little and get something a nicer (1911 or maybe a g17). Its up to you. I looked around pretty extensively and there was nothing really, new or used for under $300. It was really only the hi-points, maybe a few used bursa 380s for $270 and then the Taurus/Ruger p95 which are running 350-400 in my area.

Its up to you, but I've enjoyed the hi-point with out breaking the bank, you just have to realize the gun is going to have a few draw backs.

Edit- I reread your OP: you will NOT be able to carry the C9. Comfortably or discreetly that is.

Last edited:

AdrianVall

Thanks for the amazing advice guys.

I'm really looking at that Ket-Tec PF9. I'm liking it a LOT. Looks to be the perfect size. I'm going to call up the local gun shops tomorrow to see if they have any in stock so that I can hold. But from what I can tell, that may be the best option.

Also found a couple Bersa Thunder 9mm on GunsAmerica that seem to be good as well. Maybe I'll call about that gun as well.

Although the Hi-Point seems to be a good low cost option, I've been told by everyone and there mothers to stay away from that particular brand. But for the price, you really can't beat it... so I dunno... Hmmmm

What are some good online websites to buy guns at? Anyone have a prefrence? Or do all you guys buy local in stores?

Keep bringing the suggestions fella's. I appreciate the advice!

LSU12ga

I didn't want to turn this into a hi-point hate/love fest, but you friends are mistaken. There are plenty of threads about this brand on this forum and at http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/ for you to read up on. If you can afford it, then get a Kel-tec or something you will be able to carry. But for something for the home while on a budget, I would suggest the Hi-point. However, like i said, you will not be able to CC.

dblhelix

Another one you could look at is the Ruger P95. I'd highly suggest holding (if not firing) one before you buy. The gun is thicker and wont fit all hands, but if it works for you it is a reliable pistol.

Dustin0

Sig P6 ?

If its your 1st gun stay away from the Kel-Tec its not that fun to shot. Its a CC gun only IMHO. I would go with the Bersa or a take a good hard look at the Sig P6 they can still be found for less than $400 I have found them for $299. not long ago. I had owned the Sig. Shouldnt have sold it but the wife wanted a honeymoon.

imp

I think if I were looking for a 9mm that could serve well as a range gun and a CCW firearm, I would take a long look at the Kahr CW9. Its gonna run you around $400, but it will conceal almost as well the kel-tec, but will be much more pleasant to shoot and get aquainted with.

Bigjim3

Dont forget the post on here, auctionarms, and guns america, you might find something like the sig p6 cheap, the keltec or a bersa, But the sig if you can find one for that price is the best way to go. (I think) :rolleyes:

Pittbull

The hipoint would be a good one but they are pretty big and heavy to carry regularly. They would be great for a home gun though, the 9 millimeters are heavy and have very little recoil.

I will suggest the kel-tec pf9 =) The one i had shot great. You can put it in a pocket holster for carry.

qwman68

Hi-point is a good gun for not alot of cash.. Taurus pt-111 is a good quality 9mm that is accurate and reliable and you can pick one up for around 300..

Uncle Malice

Here's another vote for the Kel-Tec PF9. Very concealable.

The Smith&Wesson Sigma SW9VE is also a good gun for the price. It's also a lot more fun to shoot if yo ugo to the range. I saw them recently on Bud's for $299 brand new and it also has a $50 mail-in rebate from S&W.