I Think I Need a New Cartridge

kilotanker22

So after much research for something outside my wheelhouse of cartridges, I have determined I need a .280 AI.

I have spent a decade shooting 6.5mm, .308" cartridges and .224" cartridges. I wanted something with more energy than my Creedmoor, and less recoil than my 30-06. Also wanted something that would function well with my current stock of smokeless powder (PPV, Vatget, BLC-(2), H4350, and H4831).

Then I wanted something I could shoot lighter weight bullets in the 120-140 grain range, and heavier bullets for longer range work. Narrowed the choices down to 6.8 Western and 280 AI. Since I still cannot get much for the 6.8 in terms of components. And 6.8 rifles are few and far between, I chose 280 AI. Bullet selection helped a lot. Also the fact that I can make brass for it from 30-06, 270, etc, and I can shoot 280 Rem to get brass. I figured the 280 AI was the clear winner between the two. Not to mention it checks every box.

I am thinking Browning X-Bolt Max long range rifle. I have several of these and trust them. Now let's hope I can win one for less than MSRP on GunBroker.

Carry on

Last edited:

Pathfinder45

I expect that it will have as much or more recoil than the 30-'06, depending on actual loads. You probably won't be able to tell the difference in recoil between otherwise identical rifles.

Paul B.

I have a custom rifle in .280 Rem. and I can easily push the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam, older two core version to a bit over 2900 FPS with sub MOA accuracy. I can also assure you recoil will not be much different that the 30-06, regardless if the ammo it factory or my fairly hot hand loads.
Paul B.

44 AMP

Staff
IF you are throwing about the same weight bullet at about the same speed, your recoil energy is going to be about the same. Bore size isn't much of a factor in that.

Now, how the recoil FEELS is a different matter. That is a matter of the gun, how it fits, You, and how you shoot it.

The Verminator

I'm a little puzzled as to how you have missed finding the .270 Winchester--a cartridge that is inexpensive, readily available everywhere and better than anything you have mentioned.

jmr40

I wanted something with more energy than my Creedmoor, and less recoil than my 30-06.

The 280 is a fine cartridge and will do what you seek. But in the real world you're splitting some mighty fine hairs. The recoil difference between 280 and 30-06 will be indistinguishable.

The 30-06 (loaded properly) is still a slightly better choice on game bigger than you'll probably ever hunt. And the 6.5 CM is more than adequate for smaller stuff and a better choice for longer range target shooting.

But it's a good argument to justify a new rifle.

kilotanker22

I'm a little puzzled as to how you have missed finding the .270 Winchester--a cartridge that is inexpensive, readily available everywhere and better than anything you have mentioned.
.270 Winchester is great. However it is more difficult to get high BC bullets that will stabilize in the standard 1:10 twist rate. Not only that, but the bullet choices for .277 are far fewer than .284. I did not forget the .277" diameter though. If you recall my opening post, you will see that I included the 6.8 Western. That was the cartridge I really wanted, but the 280 AI is more practical I think.

kilotanker22

The 280 is a fine cartridge and will do what you seek. But in the real world you're splitting some mighty fine hairs. The recoil difference between 280 and 30-06 will be indistinguishable.

The 30-06 (loaded properly) is still a slightly better choice on game bigger than you'll probably ever hunt. And the 6.5 CM is more than adequate for smaller stuff and a better choice for longer range target shooting.

But it's a good argument to justify a new rifle.
I ended up buying a 280 AI on GunBroker tonight. Bought the Browning X-Bolt Max Long Range. Got a decent deal on it too. Won the auction for less than $850, Bud's Gun Shop sells them at $1,047, and my local shop wanted $1,100. For the record, I normally use my local guy for everything. He gave me a price on it, then informed me that it was out of stock before he ordered it.

I guess my opening that I "Need" a new cartridge was a bit of an exaggeration. I already have all my bases covered. This is mostly for fun.

I agree the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better target cartridge, but it will not carry the energy that the 280 AI will at any distance when shooting bullets with a comparable BC. In all honesty, I will end up using this primarily for hunting. Even though I have a Savage Carbon tactical, and Tikka T3x lite, both in 6.5 Creedmoor. Plus, I do not know a single person that has a 280 AI

Nathan

Will you reload for it?

What specifically are you using it for?

Will you shoot monometal bullets or cup n core?

BTW, I love the 280 AI. I went with the 300 Sherman in the end, but the 280 AI is incredibly similar. You want to confirm what twist they are using. Seems like 280 AI’S should be 1:8 or maybe 1:9, but some are 1:10.

It is an 8 twist!

Last edited:

kilotanker22

Nathan,

I will be loading the ammunition. I will be using cup and core bullets. twist of the rifle I ordered is 1:8.

Purpose is an all purpose rifle. Hunting mostly, and for fun.

Pathfinder45

Those fat magnums diminish magazine capacity. The 280 AI is a pretty good choice. I would just go with a 270 Winchester, but, different strokes for different folks.

Nathan

Those fat magnums diminish magazine capacity. The 280 AI is a pretty good choice. I would just go with a 270 Winchester, but, different strokes for different folks.

I would like to second this. I say this and people generally respond, “you only need one.” Sometimes that is true. Rarely, I make a mess out of things and really appreciate the other 4!