I think I have an addiction to Milsurp

Colonel Custer

When I joined TFL I had a Norinco SKS, Mosin Nagant (MN) 44 carbine, a Nagant Revolver, and a 1939 MN 91-30.

Now I have bought a 1938 MN 91-30
a 1929 hex reciever MN Dragoon
a 1891 Argentine Mauser (Modelo Argentine for the purists) 7.65x53
a 24/47 Yugoslavian Mauser in 8mm
a m213 Norinco in 9mm

I have a total of $1285 in these.

I find my self eyeballing Enfields, Mas 36's, Carcanos, Arisakas, (yes Springfields, and Garands but they are a little out of my price range if I want to stay married.)

Is there a support group? lol

Serious question Does Hoppes no9 do a good job on corrosive ammo clean up?

chiefr

I don't think you are alone in your addiction. Historical weapons have a mystical appeal. From an economical perspective, you can buy around 5 Milsurps as you described for a commercial bolt gun & a scope. I enjoy shooting them. If I can't shoot it, It is traded away or sold.

Hoppes 9 will take care of your bore after corrosive ammo.

jonnyc

#1 - There is some controversy on whether Hoppes works on corrosive ammo. If you have any concern, the old tried-and-true methods of hot soapy water and Ballistol are still available.

#2 - There is a sure-fire cure for the pain and agony of Milsurp Addiction. It's called an 03C&RFFL. As soon as you have one, you have government approval and acceptance, and all the pain goes away.

sgms

Military surplus can be addictive. But don't forget it is also a whole lot of fun.
I got it too
4 different enfields
3 mosin nagants
springfields
garand
m1 carbine
and so on.

DennisCA

Colonel Custer - sorry my friend there is no cure, only temporary relief.
(when you buy another one but it's short-lived)

Look at this way; there's worse addictions.....

DoctorXring

No, you need to drink the Hoppes if you want to cure your addiction.

:)

There are worse vices than the condition you have acquired. For one
thing, if you buy wisely your investment will be safe and likely increase
in value quite nicely. My mantra has been 1) Bore condition 2) Matching
bolt 3) Very good to excellent overall condition. That's a nice list of pieces
that you have obtained so far !

Seriously, on the Hoppes, the answer is definitely NO. You need to flush
the barrel out with water. Just plain old water. Find a funnel that you
can rig to where you can run warm water down the barrel. Then clean
as you would after any other ammo, with Hoppes, etc. Then the last patch
with a good gun oil and you are done. The corrosive priming leaves a
residue that is very water soluble, but not oil soluble. Hoppes is not water based.

Welcome to the club

Chris

P.S. If you love to shoot rifles, consider putting a Swiss K31 on your list

Last edited:

TX Hunter

Custer

Your not alone, When I pick up a Rifle Magazine, I usually skip all the articles except the ones about millserps, and when I go into a Gunshop, I walk right past the new guns, and look through the used guns, for Surplus Rifles.
Dont worry about it, just enjoy your collection.:)

warningshot

That aint nothing.

Just wait until someone gives you a wartime M1 Garand or Carbine walnut stock for free. Not really a good one. Not cracked. No metal parts, but orginal GI in good condition. I got both. The Garand two months ago and the carbine yesterday.

I am doomed. I sunk $75 bucks into the metal parts for the Garand stock already. And who could pass up a $5 matching walnut hand guard for the carbine? It already had the metal sheetmetal do-hicky and marked, IO.

I'm toast. Midnight 2nd Survival job all winter long here-I-come. Again.

Cheapshooter

Colonel, you do have an 03 FFL (Collector of Curios and Relics) to make things easier, and ease the financial pain a bit don't you?
Well, let's just say make things easier. Don't know about the financial pain part so much. You'll figure that out when your bound book looks more like a phone book!:eek:

Cheapshooter

The symptoms of the disease start to subside when you reach 50+ rifles.

Actually they have subsided with the lack of anything new in the line of Milsurp C&R firearms being available. I just hope they open up another warehouse or two loaded with goodies somewhere, and can get some more things through the BATF as C&R. Kinda liked those old symptoms :D:D:D

Mosinka

Join the club. I bought my first mil-surp a year ago. It was an SKS. I now have a dozen of them, not to mention Mosin-Nagants, AKs, Enfields, CETMEs, and an M1 Garand. I can stop any time I want. :D

Just one note: IF you get an Enfield, make it an Ishapore 2A1. These were made in .308 (7.62 NATO), not .303 British, and they are made of a superior steel. All the Enfields are great, but .308 is MUCH easier to find and less expensive than British .303 is now. Just sayin'. You should be able to find an Ishy for no more than $300. Damned nice rifles.

bedbugbilly

I suffered from this terrible sickness and addiction one time . . . I finally went "cold turkey" much to my wife's relief (she's really good about my hobbies - not my "addictions"). :D I up and sold my collection and never looked back even though it was a hard thing to do. THEN, I got interested in pistol shooting again . . . woe is me . . . . like rifles, one is not enough. What can I say? The only good thing is that they're smaller and take up less room . . . well, sort of. :rolleyes:

ronz

You guys got it wrong the 03 c&r is the cure to having too much money in the bank
No money left in the bank is the cure to milsurp addiction
No room in the safe also is reported to help
so yes getting a 03 c&r will cure having too much money in the bank and also allows you to fill the safe easier and for a lot less $
But technically it isn’t the cure for milsurp collecting

madcratebuilder

I would rather have my money in fire arms than cash in the bank, or stocks and cd's. While some stocks have done very well for me, others have not. All my fire arms have done well, at least keeping up with inflation. Inflation well soon have 5.56 LC ammo up to $1 around.:eek:

gandog56

You have a long way to go young Grasshopper.I started it all wih a Mosin Nagant 90-30. Now I have
12 Mosin Nagants, including M38's, M39's, M44's, 2 New England Westinghouse''s, and a Remington.
Nagant M1895 pistol
Winchester 95 lever action in 7.62X54R (Quite rare, also made for the Russians)
Yugo SKS
German K98 Mauser
Yugo M48 Mauser
Romanian TT-33 Tokarev
Walther P-1 9 mm
Swiss K31
Japanese type 99 Arisaka
Hungarian Steyr
Austrian Steyr
Bulgarian contract Steyr
CZ82 9mm Mak
CZ52 7X25mm

Good thing I'm a reloader so I can afford to shoot them all.

gandog56

Now add 2 CMP M1 Garands! One Springfield Armory, one H&R.

I knew I was in trouble when I got that Fed C&R license!

Last edited:

MJ1

;) LOL

Your all very sick people. Get help!

b6383087.jpg

.........:rolleyes:...........

gandog56

Have to amend my list again!

Now I have:

12 Mosin Nagants, including M38's, M39's, M44's, 2 New England Westinghouse''s, and a Remington.
Nagant M1895 pistol
Winchester 95 lever action in 7.62X54R (Quite rare, also made for the Russians)
Yugo SKS
German K98 Mauser
Yugo M48 Mauser
Romanian TT-33 Tokarev
Walther P-1 9 mm
Swiss K31
Japanese type 99 Arisaka
Hungarian Steyr
Austrian Steyr
Bulgarian contract Steyr
CZ82 9mm Mak
Romanian TT-33 Tok pistol.
Swiss 96/K11 conversion (Rebarreled so it can shoot modern Swiss ammo)

As a matter of fact, I like the Tok so much better than the CZ52, I traded the CZ for a scoped Savage 110 in 30.06!