I Start New Shooters On Any Size Handgun (or Rifle) They Really Want...

Skans

If someone comes to me who has never shot a gun before, but has done enough research to know he wants a 9mm semi-auto, I don't try to discourage the person from buying a 9mm in favor of a .22. No! I applaud the person for making the decision to buy a gun and try to help him buy what he wants.

Most people can learn to shoot a 9mm or 45 well enough. And, if they want to become better shooters, then they can go an buy a second gun, a .22 and really learn the fundamentals of shooting.

My philosophy is get a non-gun owner to actually embrace owning a gun. Then, you can work on better shooting once they make that leap. Few adults are going to head your advice to buy a .22 pistol, which is often perceived as a toy, when they really want a "real" gun. So, why even go there. Let them get their CZ 75B first, then they can get a used Ruger Mark II next year.

mikejonestkd

I agree with you, people should buy what they want. But, I differentiate between a new shooter and a new owner.

I always start a first time shooter out with a .22 LR- either a handgun or a rifle so they can focus on safety, handling, manipulating a firearm, and learn shooting techniques.

A new owner needs to train with their new purchase, regardless of the caliber. A second handgun like a 22 that is similar to their primary purchase might be in their future, or might not.

mikejonestkd said:
I agree with you, people should buy what they want. But, I differentiate between a new shooter and a new owner.

I always start a first time shooter out with a .22 LR- either a handgun or a rifle so they can focus on safety, handling, manipulating a firearm, and learn shooting techniques.
I agree. There's a difference between what you use to teach someone to shoot, vs. talking them into purchasing a firearm different from what they intend to carry if/when they reach that stage in their progression.

zukiphile

We aren't the masters of people who express an interest, but when I speak with someone poised at the entrance, I want to set them up for a good journey complete with lots of safety and realistic expectations. They don't need to take my advice, but if I don't even offer it my sense is that I've withheld something that would have cost me nothing to give.

Skans said:
My philosophy is get a non-gun owner to actually embrace owning a gun. Then, you can work on better shooting once they make that leap. Few adults are going to head your advice to buy a .22 pistol, which is often perceived as a toy, when they really want a "real" gun. So, why even go there. Let them get their CZ 75B first, then they can get a used Ruger Mark II next year.

How interested are they in shooting once they learn they can't hit a target with the new Sig 365 they saw in a video?

I've seen three sorts of reactions:

1. They just love making noise. "The more noise the better. Get a load of this magnum revolver! Did you know S&W makes a 500!!"

2. They acknowledge that they didn't grok what shooting really was, and start a journey of improved marksmanship. "I want to be a lot better. How do I get from where I am to where I want to be?"

3. They put the gun in a closet and move onto the next interest.

I don't begrudge No. 1 the ammunition, and I love the enthusiasm, but if he isn't interested in improvement, how does he maintain an interest?

I feel badly for No. 3. These people learn that they don't like shooting, which might not even be the right lesson for them to draw.

pete2

One incident I can think of. An elderly couple brought back a SA XD compact, .40. Worked at a big box store, another employee had sold it to them. After they got home they found that neither could rack the slide, they just didn't have the strength to do it. I always made it a point to check and see if a customer could operate the gun before purchase. On another point I always asked a customer what they want the gun for. Some of them just wanted a gun, a lot were like a deer in the head lights.

Scorch

I have seen this a lot lately, new gun owners who buy what they think is going to be a simple carry pistol. Many read a few articles that talk about self-defense handguns and opt for what they feel is the best choice for self defense without asking for advice. But you don't just hand an inexperienced shooter a hard kicking handgun and turn them loose. It's irresponsible.

Had a new shooter a couple years ago come in with a new Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag with a 3" barrel. He was not very happy. He bought what some magazine writer said would be the "ideal defensive handgun" and was unhappy because he could not shoot it.

Other new shooters buy a lightweight pistol because they don't want a big gun or to pack the weight, and they are not happy. They are often mad at the guy who sold them the gun because they don't make the connection light weight = more recoil. How could they know? They never shot before!

I think anyone who encourages a new gun owner to buy a compact 40 S&W or a lightweight .357 or a 1911 is just being a jerk. Sure, after shooting for a few years they will be able to handle it, but they are not ready for it and the unpleasant experience may turn them off to guns for good!

My sons both started shooting at age 4 or 5 with a 22, then we moved up to 38 Special, then 9mm. Last month my youngest (13 years old) had a great time at the range with my AR and my 223 bolt action. Both my sons have deer rifles of their own and shoot them reasonably well (HA! How old were you before you got your first custom rifle?). But we didn't start out with a 300 Win Mag!

Hal

Most people can learn to shoot a 9mm or 45 well enough
Back in the day.....
This used to be easy.

The guy at the gun store - recommended the .38 special revolver & told you all the advantages of handloading & reloading.
You walked out with a nice new S&W M19, a box of .38 spl & a Lee "pound em in pound em out" loader (& some bullets & primers and a jug of Unique).

Yep - you sure could invest in a nice S&W M17 or M18 - that duplicated the M19 in most ways, but, for what that cost you to get "cheap practice ammo" you could load a ton of your own .38 spl.

People were shooters back then too. Not game players & "Popper potters".
The emphasis was on what you could hit - not how fas you could emppty your gun.

ghbucky

The emphasis was on what you could hit - not how fas you could emppty your gun.

I've never played any games where missing counted. The point is how fast you can HIT YOUR TARGETS.

Wag

I'd probably take them out the range with a couple of my own .22's and teach them the difference.

We used to run into people who wanted to learn to ride motorcycles and, of course, they wanted to start with a Hayabusa. Bad idea but they frequently insisted.

Not quite the same, of course, but still plenty of room to teach someone to shoot with a smaller firearm.

--Wag--

Rangerrich99

When I was a kid I was taught to shoot handguns with a .38 spl revolver, 4-incher. About the same recoil as a typical 9mm, I imagine.

But "Any gun" can be interesting. I actually saw a guy come into the range with what turned out to be a 45-70 revolver a few years ago, and he told me it was his first handgun!

Needless to say his session was very short and he wasn't happy about his purchase.