I shot one round of .40 today

krept

interesting.

I shot with a friend this weekend and I have a .40 and a .45. I watched him trying to load the .40s in the .45 magazine and he was pretty confused. I told him to look at the box and he said "ahhhh..."

Mal H

Staff
Man! Talk about your unsupported case!

What brand of ammo was it? I want to go out and buy a couple thousand of their cases for future reloading.

yorec

Dang - I've slipped a 9mm case in with my .40s and stuffed a .40 caliber bullet in it while cranking along on my Dillon 550B, but never actually fired one. Culled the obsene looking cartridge and keep it an a drawer as a reminder to pay better attention. Interestingly enough it looks about the same minus the bullet sticking out the end...

Glad you're Ok.

GunGeek

I see this from time to time at the range. Guy rents a 9mm and a few boxes of rounds, then comes back and rents a .40 and another box of rounds, fails to tell us he still has some 9 left over and proceeds to try and shoot it.

The casings always come out like the one in your photo.

yzguy

I had the exact same thing happen to me... I got some reloads from a gun show and there was a .40 mixed in with it.

on the brite side nothing bad happened (to me or the 1911) and it went pretty straight (hit as good on the target as the .45's)

:)

I don't get those gun show specials anymore...

Blackhawk

Shouldn't be a problem for the gun at all -- for one round. Since the bullet is smaller, the gas just blows by instead of sealing positively on the barrel side. Even so the pressure will be high, although not anywhere near as high as if the round were fired in a .40. The bullet should zip out pretty fast on its "gas bearing" but nowhere near as fast as from a .40.

On the chamber side, there's leakage between the chamber and casing wall as the gas initially escapes past the slide at the back of the chamber and feed ramp. It can't leak fast enough so the casing gets swedged to the size of the chamber sort of the way a friction drain plug works.

However, if you make a habit of this, your .45 will suffer erosion in the barrel and breech, IMO. Think of a cutting torch doing its trick inside your pistol.... :eek:

Gunner45

.40 in a .45

That very thing happend to a friend of mine. We were out here in the desert by Eagle Mtn. My buddy and I were both shooting our .45s. He has a Kimber Gold Combat and I was shooting my Enhanced Colt. Any way, at one point he takes his 96f out the bag and puts a few .40s down range. So far so good. After a few mags of .40 he decides to switch back to the Kimber.
We had set the ammo on the hood of the truck and we were both loading our mags out of the "community pot" so to speak. The trouble happened when he set the box of .40 next to the boxes of .45. We both loaded back up and stepped to the line and made ready. He was about 10 feet to my left even with me on the line. I am blasting a way with a big grin on my face when I hear this muffeld pop and then kind of a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ noise as the bullet went down range. I look down at my gun and every thing is fine. I look over to my friend and he says "Wow, that didn't feel right". To sum it all up, he had loaded .40s in his Kimber. The case had expanded to the camber size, and had a small split in it. We had to take a pocket knife to extract the case. His had was fine, not a mark on him. The Kimber didn't skip a beat. We field stripped it to make sure that every thing looked ok, and then went back to shooting. We saved the caseing to serve as a reminder.

Gunner45

Ewok_Guy

Yikes!
eek2.gif

Archie

I think you've invented a new wildcat round.....

but chamber cutting and headspace are going to be tricky.

Coronach

I've seen people load 9mm into a .45 ACP pistol. Its kinda safe to do, though...if you actually get past the fact that there are these teeny bullets in a honking big magazine and try to rack a round into the chamber, the whole cartridge will go *ploop* out the end of the barrel and make you look really dumb. ;)

No, it wasn't me.

Mike

krept

And why wouldn't one of these hit the side of the barrel on the way out? The case makes it look as if the sucker destabilizes in a bad way once the primer is crushed...

SixGunner

What type of gun did you fire that in?

I saw a fellow at the range that had this happen from time to time. He kinda laughed it off. I think I'd pay better attention myself.

Of course, when you take 20 guns to the range in different calibers like this fellow did, this can happen.

DD698

Wrong Ammo

WOW: Thank God you wernt hurt. One time while duck hunting in North Dakota with my Browning Gold 10 I picked up a loaded 3.5 12ga shell that had been dropped on a sandbar. I put in my pocket without much thought.Later I discovered that I had loaded it into the magazine but never fired it because we were almost ready to quit for the day. I developed a case of the shakes and threw the damn shell away. Federal color codes their shells by guage. 10s are brown while 12s are red. We can never be to careful.