I saw a new Winchester model 1873 for sale.....

WIN1886

.....posted for about 5 minutes and it was sold ! Right now it is only chambered in .357 magnum but from what I read it will be offered in 44-40 , 45 Colt , and .44 magnum at a later date ! I hope to get one someday...it looks like they are going fast and or not many available yet ! :)

VTRich

I picked one up a couple days ago. Very smooth action and nice trigger too. I hope to shoot it next week. The shop had just received it right before I walked it. They opened the box and handed to to me and after playing with it for a while, I told them I would take it. There was another guy looking at it over my shoulder and he had them order one for him too. This one was all blue, but I guess they are making one with case colors too.

WIN1886

Nice....let us know how it performs and a few pictures wouldn't hurt ! ;) I hope to find another one for sale and this time I'll be quicker to respond ! :)

PetahW

FWIW - AFAIK, every "new" Winchester levergun since 2006 is made by someone other than Winchester, and only stamped/branded with their name/logo.

IIRC, Miroku (Japan) is now making the '73, besides the '92's, 1885's, 1886's & the 1894's.

VTRich

Not a great pic, but here is the Winchester 1873

1873_1.jpg

And here are a couple more of my "Japanese" Winchesters.

A 1892 Trapper Takedown in 45 Colt, followed by an 1886 Takedown in 45-70

1892Trapper.jpg

Winch_1886_TD.jpg

WIN1886

Nice....some fancy wood on the 86 ! :cool: One thing I do is put peep sights on all my lever guns...I heard the 73 is drilled and tapped for a tang mounted rear sight and doesn't have the tang safety !

VTRich

Thanks! I got very lucky with the wood on the 1886. The picture does not do it justice. The tang on the 73 is drilled and tapped for a sight. No tang safety.

Crunchy Frog

The Winchester '73 is being watched with some anticipation in cowboy action circles. Word is that a .44-40 rifle will be out in the Fall.

Early reports are very favorable.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Browning has confirmed the .44-40 will be next.
I'm trying to get them to have Miroku build me a carbine, but they're resisting the idea. :)
Denis