I really need to stay off Gun Broker. Smith & Wesson 14-3

Since I have really fallen head over heels in love with my well used Model 19-3.
I had been on the hunt for a Model 10.
Well so much for that. I clicked the bid for a Smith Model 14-3. Or as some like to call it "Model K-38 Target Masterpiece Revolver Model 14 "
This one comes with the 6 inch barrel.
Looks to be the same vintage as my Model 19 combat master piece. ( got to love the names) Hogue grips and all. Gave around $400 so was fair price. Not a steal but not out of line ether. If it shoots my 38's as good as my 19. Gona be very happy.

Smith14_zpse2ddcb2f.jpg

Guess I am still looking for a 10.

mattL46

I have two K frames. A 65 and 66 I don't plan on stopping there. While I like the others especially the bigger N frame. Nothing feels as good or well balanced as the K!! Would love to have a K-38 and A K-22 to go with it. Nice piece!

highpower3006

If it is anything like my K38, it may very well shoot better than your 19.

To really explore it's accuracy potential, use a 148 grain HBWC over 2.7 grains of Bullseye. This is the load and bullet for which they were really designed. I have shot quarter sized groups at 15 yards using my K38 and this load.

IMG_0456-XL.jpg

Salmoneye

Dad's 14-4 went to my little Sister...

Here it is with a set of two-tone 'magna-style' grips I made from White Ash...She didn't like the original grips, so I knocked these out to fit her hand...

I hope you enjoy yours OP, as much as my Sister likes hers...

8yasxu.jpg

Sharkbite

I think i need to start looking for a good K frame. I cut my teeth on a 4" M64 at my first agency and had a personally owned 2.5" M66 that was AMAZINGLY accurrate. Like quarter size groups at 25yds rested, single action.

I bought it used when i worked at Turners Outdoorsman for next to nothing ($150 IIRC). Had to sell it during my colledge years. Had to eat or something silly like that. I still miss that gun!!!

redrick

You have 2 nice Smith revolvers there and I know what you mean about GB . I was looking for a 14 earlier this year and ended up with 2 off them , a day apart , a 14-3 and a 14-4 . Neither of them even has a turn line . The 14-4 doesn't even look like it has been fired . They both arrived the same day at my FFL dealer .

sgms

Better be careful there COZ, once you get the S&W's bug it will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Better be careful there COZ, once you get the S&W's bug it will stay with you for the rest of your life.

I know...... I have had a few Rugers and I carry a Taurus M85. I always thought.
Come on a Revolver is a revolver. Cant be that much different. Heck the Taurus ones are a copy.

Ahhh no they are completely different animals. I still like my Rugers and my Taurus.
But that Model 19 is soo smooth. You almost have to try to miss to miss.

I dont know if any one else has just grabbed a gun for the 1st time. Fired it and went.. OMG!!! Thats perfect for me. Was like that with the 19.
If this one is 1/2 as good. SNOOPY DANCE!!!!:D

medic15al

COZ... Not to nitpick but I believe the Model 19 is a "Combat Magnum", while a Model 15 is the "Combat Masterpiece".

I love the K frame blued S&Ws! Esp in .38 Spl.

COZ... Not to nitpick but I believe the Model 19 is a "Combat Magnum", while a Model 15 is the "Combat Masterpiece".

I love the K frame blued S&Ws! Esp in .38 Spl.

Thats fine. I am lucky I can remember my name some times. let alone whats a Magnum this or master piece that. You should see me with my keys....;)

Howdy

I keep telling myself I don't need any more K frames. Then I find another one that I just must have. I stumbled on this Model 14-3 a couple of months ago. Made in 1973. I had to have it because it is in mint condition. Best condition of any used Smith I have ever found. It was on consignment in a local shop, asking price $600. I asked if the seller would take $500 and I was surprised when the shop called back a few hours later and he had said yes. I would have been glad to compromise at $550.

model14-3box01_zps11bcad92.jpg

The other reason that I had to have it is because it is a perfect companion for my 17-3 that I bought brand-spanky new in 1975.

model14-3andmodel17-301_zps8a460146.jpg

The problem is, now I'm gonna have to find a Model 16 (K-32 32 S&W Long) to complete the set, and they are not as plentiful as the other two.

Picked up my baby yesterday.
Its actually quite a bit nicer than the images display.
Took it out for a few get used to it loads.
Fits my hand perfectly ( 19 does too) mounts right at the perfect sight picture with out trying.
Trigger is great as expected.
Gona be happy.

**** time!!

100_9671_zpsa059204c.jpg

100_9674_zps3d71ac06.jpg

100_9672_zpsdbc8ad9b.jpg

100_9675_zps20ab8140.jpg