I ran out of elevation on my sights what can I do?

Lavid2002

Heres my ruger 10/22. i put a williams aperture sight on the rear. Since the sight is higher than the standard open iron sight I had to put a front sight raiser block on the rifle. I have ran out of elevation on the rear sight. Maybe I can fabricate some kind of shims for the rear sight to give myself enough elevation adjustment. Right now I have it topped off and I am 4-5" low at 50 yards. What can I do?
Thanks
-Dave
IMGP0596.jpg

IMGP0597.jpg

IMGP0598.jpg

jmr40

Try putting the front sight back the way it came and see what happens. Lowering the front sight will raise your elevation.

CraigC

The short answer is a taller front sight.

No, the front sight is too tall. While you do need a taller front sight to work with the Williams rear peep, you don't need that massive riser block. Move the rear sight back to a middle adjustment, remove the riser block and see where you are at 50yds. You will probably need a new front sight bead that is only slightly taller than the factory sight.

Remember to move the rear sight opposite the direction you want your point of impact to move. Opposite for the front sight.

AK103K

The rear sight goes in the direction (left/right, up/down) you want to move the impact. The front sight is the opposite.

Lavid2002

Try putting the front sight back the way it came and see what happens. Lowering the front sight will raise your elevation.
I did that before I even bought the front sight block.....It wont work without it. I forget whether I ran out of elevation without the block, or if I cant see the front post. Either way I know I was mad because I couldnt use the sight without buying it.

The rear sight goes in the direction (left/right, up/down) you want to move the impact. The front sight is the opposite.
lol...and my impact needs to cpome up, look at the rear sight...it cant go up anymore :p

Last edited:

Lavid2002

Remember to move the rear sight opposite the direction you want your point of impact to move.
sorry bro its the other way :p if you need your impact to go up, move the rear sight up. Same direction for the rear, opposite for the front.

AK103K

lol...and my impact needs to cpome up, look at the rear sight...it cant go up anymore :p
If you cant see the front sight without the riser, then your going to have to get out the file and start filing the front sight down until you get it to come in.

Is that sight mounted using the factory screw holes on the gun? If so, then I'd call Williams and ask them why its not working. It seems odd they would design the sight for the gun and not have it use the stock front sight.

CraigC

Oops, brainfart, you're right! But the front sight is still too tall.

You can't file on a bead front sight. You need a taller front sight but without the riser block. The riser block is at least a quarter inch tall and that's way too much of an increase. As we can all see. You probably need 0.100" taller than stock at the most. Or call Williams and see what they recommend.

It seems odd they would design the sight for the gun and not have it use the stock front sight.
It's quite common to need a taller front sight with a receiver-mounted peep sight.

Lavid2002

using the sight correction formula M=(D/R)xS

R=distance=1,800" (range, 50 yds)
S=sight to sight 22.5"
D=5 inches (how much the bullet impact needs to deviate to be zeroed)

After calculating .0625" of adjustment needs to be made to the firearm to zero it. The front post needs to go down .0625" or the rear sight needs to go up .0625" : /....hmmmm how can we do this.

AK103K

You can't file on a bead front sight.
Sure you can. It just wont be a bead when your done. :)

I did it on my Savage Scout, and ended up with a nice, sharp post, as I dont like the beads.

....hmmmm how can we do this
Mike the spacer and see what it is, and go from there.

You also need to figure out what the rise is for the rear sight, back to front.

Lavid2002

Mike the spacer and see what it is, and go from there.
What does it mean to "mike" the sight?

I Think I might file the front sight and re-blue it...I think the front bead is too big : /...Lets weigh the other options

BillM

1. Get rid of the front sight spacer

2. Set the rear sight in the middle of it's adjustment range

3. Fire several groups at your desire range, and determine the average
impact point, high or low.

4. Use the formula in post 12 to determine how much different the front
sight height needs to be to center up your group. Put in the
appropriate numbers for distance (in inches) and sight seperation.If you
are hitting high, you need a taller front sight. If your groups are low,
you need a shorter front sight.

5. Purchase and install new front sight of correct height.

Jimro

Lavid,

Get a front sight that you can file down. If you really like bead front sight I don't know what to tell you other than "sorry".

Jimro

AK103K

What does it mean to "mike" the sight?
It means take a caliper and measure the height of the spacer to see how much it raises the front sight.

I agree with BillM, just take the spacer out, zero the rear sight midway down the ramp and shoot the gun, and go from there.

BlackFeather

I am new when it comes to these things but my ex has the same set up without the front sight lift and she never had a problem... (her father set it up) the only thing I would say thats different is the stock she had was also made by her father... so is there a chance that maybe a different stock set up can get better results? I dont think so... but I dont know.... mine is standard with a red dot scope...