I picked up this Colt....I think I'm gonna shoot it....

Keg

Woodsman Target....It looks like it has never been fired..or I see no evidence of it....It was in an old oily case....52' model....I bought it right and think I'm gonna shoot it....

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 203

Sarge

I would absolutely shoot it. IIRC some of these guns suffered from a bent mainspring strut; I recall hearing the men of my youth mention that high speed ammo was a contributing factor. Whether this is true or not, I do not know. I do know if I had a nice old Woodsman, it would see only standard or subsonic .22 ammo.

Keg

Sarge..I once had a Huntsman..the economy model....I wish I had never gotten rid of it....It had the 6 in barrel and was ultra accurate....I shot HV ammo....

PetahW

FWIW, Colt changed the Woodsman in 1933 to be able to use high-speed ammo - N.P. with the OP's gunz.

The old MS housings were checkered (left, below); the new H-S MS housings were lined (right, below)

1hsls.jpg

Just look at the backstrap, below the rear of the slide.

mxsailor803

You make me SICK!!! I've been looking for a nice condition Woodsmen for about 2 years now!!! Now if you don't want to shoot it, I'll fix that problem for ya lol :D

Keg

You make me SICK!!! I've been looking for a nice condition Woodsmen for about 2 years now!!! Now if you don't want to shoot it, I'll fix that problem for ya lol

I always look..but not seriously..this one just fell in my lap..I could'nt pass up for the price....I like the mag release....I wish my Match Target had the same....

Thanks Petah for the info....

Sarge

You could do a whole lot worse! I had a couple of HD Militaries and a Model B over the years. Any of them were good for a 40 yard squirrel, if I was up to the shot that day.

jfrey

The Woodsman is a great pistol, but if it breaks you may be in trouble. Most of the old parts are used up. My FIL has one he won in 1951 and it needed some attention. He sent it to Alex Hamilton in San Antonio. Alex fixed it and even had to make a new part for it but it shoots now. Alex told him to shoot it a little and keep it in the safe the rest of the time because if it broke again it would be hard to fix again.

Use Std.vel.ammo and it should be fine for quite a while.

steveNChunter

I have a Woodsman similar to yours, mine is a '49 sport target and has had a little more use. It is perfectly FINE to shoot high velocity ammo in any second or third series Woodsman, and as was mentioned earlier, any first series made after about 1933 has the mainspring housing that is built for HV ammo.

Definitely shoot it but take great care, parts are terribly hard to find (in some cases impossible) and when you do find them they are terribly expensive.

Thats a great find. Hang onto it they dont make 'em like that anymore ;)

Keg

You could do a whole lot worse! I had a couple of HD Militaries and a Model B over the years. Any of them were good for a 40 yard squirrel, if I was up to the shot that day.

I would like to have one of the short heavy barreled High Standards....

Definitely shoot it but take great care, parts are terribly hard to find (in some cases impossible) and when you do find them they are terribly expensive.

Well if it breaks down..I guess I could part it out....

steveNChunter

Yea you could make your money back and then some. I'm looking for a rare "coltmaster" rear sight for mine right now. the elevation screw hole is stripped out. Your's has the newer style sight on it I think. Those can actually be found, but still are not cheap.