I picked up my Armalite M-15A2 today!

Kurt+P+

I've always wanted an M-16 style rifle and now I've got one. These guns are iconic. As american as apple pie and now I have one of my own. Can't wait to take her to the range this weekend and try her out. LoL. :)

Last edited:

Kurt+P+

Shot it for the first time yesterday on saturday and it was freaking jam city almost every time I pulled the trigger.:barf: I thought maybe I had bad magazines or something like that. I know the manual says to clean and lube the rifle before you shoot it but I decided to ignore that advice. So I brought it home and stripped it down. I Gave it a good cleaning and lube job and put her back together. By the way, I was amazed at how dirty the inside was, looked like someone had poured grease all over the bolt assembly. I know they test fire these things at the factory but geeze! I went to the range again today and I'm thrilled to say it worked perfectly.:D Not one jam out of 200 rounds. Apparently a good cleaning and lubing was all it needed. Thank goodness. These rifles are a lot of fun when they work properly.

DMK

Nice Rifle! I always liked the 20" USGI style ARs better.

Yea, always clean a new gun. They get really gummy, all greased up with preservative and collecting dust in a box.

Best of luck with it!

MyGunsJammed

wow. beautiful rifle.....

can you take a closer shot of the side for me?

How do these compare to the Colts?

Did the case come with the gun?

Sgt.Fathead

I know the manual says to clean and lube the rifle before you shoot it but I decided to ignore that advice.

Um, why? You're lucky it didn't have an excess of grease or another form of stabilizer in the works. Been shooting long? Curious because, this could've gotten you or another person seriously injured or killed, bud.

Kurt+P+

To answer your question Sgt. Fathead I am new to shooting. I've read articles on the Web where some people fire these rifles just fine right out of the box but after my experience you can bet I'll never make that mistake again. Never occured to me that there might be stabilizers or preservatives in the works. Ignorance on my part. As I said, I won't make that mistake again.

Swiper

ive never heard of excess cosomline killing someone.........

I'm gonna have to go with Deak on this one, granted i've never soaked my GLOCK in cosmoline before I took it to the range, the grease should just burn off as you fire it.

-Swiper.

Lavid2002

As for the cosmoline, it will work fine in a #" barrel glock, but try filling the barrel of a gas-operated high powered AR15....no good.
Anyways leave the kid alone, hes fine, his rifle is fine and no body was hurt. He wont do it again. I PERSONALLY dont see how you didnt take it apart .037 seconds from walking in the door...I did :D
Anyways
There weird when there new...new gas rings and everything. Note:If you dissasembled it the bolt is hard to take out/put into the carrier...but if you do it after a hundred or so shots are fired it pops in and out of the carrier with a nipping action. Funny.
Clean em, use em...and abuse em. Its a rifle used by elite forces worldwide...once the factory goo is taken out it will be hard to get it to malfunction again.
Cheers on your first ar15! I remember getting mine....I remember the calll....Hello...Mr.Brandt....yes your AR15 came in today bud :D:D:D:DLOL!

Swiper

As for the cosmoline, it will work fine in a #" barrel glock, but try filling the barrel of a gas-operated high powered AR15....no good.

Ah that might be the dilemma, I've never really had that problem with an AR. Guess it's a different story with the WASR and such.

But I agree, awsome rifle. Just wait a few months and you'll start getting all the crazy ideas in your head about adding ninja stuff on there.

Just wait.

-Swiper.

shepherddogs

Did you shoot it pretty many times? The reason I ask is I bought a Bushmaster that had jamming problems and the gas tube needed adjusting. Had to be sent back to the factory. Cleaning helped but didn't fix the problem.

3StrikesNC

Kurt;

I just bought a S&W M&P-15. Out of the box, did a quick look over, took it ot the range with crap Wolf ammo, and it shot great. Think I shot about 60 rounds.

Took it home and cleaned it. I am happy with my purchase. I posted a pic in another thread.

Kurt+P+

Shepherddogs, I completely disassembled the entire bolt assembly per the manual, cleaned and lubed the heck out of it. Cleaned out the chamber and breech as well. When I went back to the range the second day it worked perfectly for me. I fired 200 rounds through it using 5 different magazines that I had available. I only used 1 type of ammo and that was Federal American Eagle Tactical XM193 5.56 mm. Woops, I take that back. I also fired one (20) round magazine with Winchester USA .223 65 grain. No problems with either. The rifle is just pure joy to shoot. Loud as heck but negligible recoil. I was wearing electronic earmuffs that I've used when shooting my pistol and revolver but they kind of get in the way with the AR Rifle. Going to have to pick up some earplugs.

3StrikesNC, I saw your pic on the other thread. It's a very nice looking rifle. I also thought about going with a shorter carbine but I fell in love with the 20" barrel. I just kind of like that classic look.

Sgt.Fathead

Not tryin' to bark the kids onions and I have heard of dangerous malfunctions due to a failure to clean straight out of the box weapons, thanks much. I have seen said problem too, at a base range on Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, AZ. Good, no harm done and enjoy your shooter. The 20" HBAR is a fine shooting iron. As with all such tools; treat it right and get treated just as right by it.

lastchancebaby

Bushmaster never FTF

~3K rounds, every possible bullet type and Brand. Never a hiccup. Great customer service, always answer email and bend over backwards to help customers!

woodland

Bushmaster never FTF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~3K rounds, every possible bullet type and Brand. Never a hiccup. Great customer service, always answer email and bend over backwards to help customers!

That's nice, but he just bought an Armalite. I don't think he was looking for recomendations on brands.

Nice weapon! I too still like the original 20" style. It just feels good to hold, too. Enjoy!

lastchancebaby

One important point, not to miss

That's nice, but he just bought an Armalite. I don't think he was looking for recomendations on brands.

Nice weapon! I too still like the original 20" style. It just feels good to hold, too. Enjoy!

Ok; however, where I reside, we have a 90 day cooling off period after any purchase >$300. I am sure this qualifies. Moreover, I do not like to see people screwed over. I see a lot of this and diligently resist. Also, any suspicion of defect puts the onus on manufacturer, no matter where you live (in small claims court). Finally, I am worried about feed ramp, bolt, gas issues. Just some customer rights advice

lastchancebaby

Information you may need

It's not good, it’s not bad its just information you may need. One last point: there are 5 of us who routinely short. We are not Police; however, we may need arms. One of my friends bought an Armalite and had the same problems you are having. The problems increased ~1000 rounds. The rifle had many issues. He was not happy with the rifle.