I needed another Model 15...

CajunBass

I needed another Model 15, about like I needed another hole in my head, as my mother used to say. But it was there, listed on a local "gun for sale" board and would NOT go away. I tried ignoring it, but it just kept sitting there, staring at me, and would not stop. The seller even dropped his price a couple of times, finally getting it down to where this "hussy" started to look better and better.

Made in 1966 I'm told,, it's a -2, with target hammer, target trigger, trigger stop, and diamond target grips. It was those target grips that did it. If it had just been decently clad in Magna's, like any self respecting Model 15, I'd have been able to resist it.

And yes. It shoots just fine. It is going to have to work for it's keep.

Last edited:

SaxonPig

I think the 4" Combat Masterpiece/M15 is the classic S&W revolver. I also like the early "diamond" target stocks. They feel more rounded and are more ergonomic than are the later style.

Now you need the 22 version as a companion...

standard.jpg

damienph

Model 15

I agree, the Model 15 just looks and feels right with Target stocks.

Mine; former Fort Worth PD issue.

PA152087-1.jpg

amd6547

I have run my 15-3 with target grips...overall, I prefer PC Magnas with a T-grip.

For me, the Model 15 truly deserves the name Combat Masterpiece. As much as I like the model 10 and the J frame, there isn't another 38spl revolver I would want in my hand for serious use.

Model12Win

I've wanted a Model 15 ever since learning it used to be USAF security forces standard issue before they switched to the M9 in the early 1990s.

98 220 swift

You guys need to stop. Seeing all of these makes me want one even worse. lol I cant seem to find one for a decent price. It would make a great companion to my model 14. Then I will also need a 18 as well.:)

old bear

It was those target grips that did it.

They should have. Not that I would recommend it, but you should be able to sell the grips for enough to pay for your new M-15. Enjoy that guy.

bedbugbilly

Great find - I can easily see why you couldn't resist it! Great grips on her as well!

My Combat Masterpiece came home with me by accident. I say that a LGS had a M & P listed and went to look at it. It was a 5" - 38 special and since it was shipped the same year I was born, I just had to buy it At the same time, I spotted the Combat Masterpiece - about 95 - 98% and what the heck - it had to come home with me as well - especially at the price they had on it.

My CM didn't have original grips on it - had a set of smooth wood grips on it that didn't do much for it. Since I got it to shoot - I decided to change them out to a set of Pachmayr grips - or so I thought.

I'm telling this just in case anyone out there has a CM/15 and wants to put Pachmayr Grips on it. I believe the ones I purchased for it were the "combat grips"? I ordered them - the package stated they would fit a CM/Model 15. When I got them slid on, I discovered the grip screw was aligned smack dap with the mainspring. I tried a number of things and there was just no way the grips would work. Pachmayr is a subsidiary of Lyman. I called their customer service, discussed it with a lady who informed me that "they knew it and that they would fit some but that was just a "quirk" of the that particular grip". I then asked why that wasn't stated on the labeling and didn't get an answer. So, if you go to change the grips on your CM/15 with a set of Pachmayr, just be aware that they "might not work".

I ended up buying a decent set of original style diamonds off of flab bay and putting the on the CM - they look original to the revolver and work just fine. The CM/15 is aa great wheelmen and I love shooting mine.

CajunBass

My other 15, another -2, came with Pachmayr grippers on it, but I quickly changed them out for a set of Magna's and a T-grip. Then in a series of trades, I ended up with a fairly nice set of Herret's Shooting Stars, so I put them on that 15-2.

I've got Pach's, Hogue's, and Magna's for this gun, but the SS's look and feel too good to change out.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
I was feeling pretty good until I read all these posts.Now I've got the FEVER!Seriously,nothing to add its all been said.Congrats on your beautiful Mod15.