I need to find a used .22LR converted M16

281 Quad Cam

shot an m16 which runs .22L rounds last week, costed about 20 bucks to run thru 550 rounds in a full appearance and operating M16 or m4a1 rifle... needless to say im hooked! (believe me i ran thru a whole box!)

ive never owned an m16, mostly scared of .223 prices and not all the ranges around here let you blow holes in the walls, however .22s can fire anywhere!

however my friend found this beautifully operating machine in a pawn shop for 200 bucks! id pay more, but i dont wanna be the friend that got the same gun for 5 times the cost

so does anyone know where i can find a used one of these suckers for a reasonable price? more reasonable atleast than buying a full milspec M16 and then buying the conversion, i dont need a .223 bolt to begin with!

i have tried scouring the internet, but just finding gun shops that list their inventory is tough enough - and finding a used m16 .22LR conversion has plain out eluded me!

any help would be incredibly appreciated!

craigz

The .22 conversion is sold as a kit that you install on your AR-15. It is highly unlikely that you're going to find a whole rifle for sale anywhere with a conversion kit installed and no original bolt, and you sure aren't going to find one for $200. To get a .22LR AR-15, you're almost certainly going to have to buy the rifle first ($600-800) and them buy a conversion kit ($140). However, you can have just as much fun spending your $200 on a 10/22.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Sounds to me like 281 encountered one of the (Armscor?) .22's that look like an AR. Every now and again I see one of those floating around here. Rare these days though.

281, if you could get a close look t the rifle and tell us what the markings are, we could do a better job at telling what your searching for.

To find what I think your describing, your best bet is a copy of the Gun List or a big gun show. And patience. And cash in your pocket when you find it.. :D

DPMS (Panther Arms) has a dedicated 22 upper that retails for $400. You need only purchase a lower to mate it to and Viola! 22 plinker. The magazines are the same as for the old Colt conversion kit.

I've been considering another make though that takes the Ceiner. Why? Not a knock against DPMS but I've got the Ceiner along with 4 30 round 22 LR mags. (Hey, it's a leftover habit from my youth where I'd buy the holster and dies to justify the purchase of the handgun).

MAKOwner

Was it a regular AR15 with a .22 upper or was it a replica in .22?

If your buddy got it for $200 it was one of the replicas. The Armscorp guns are complete trash, and don't look like a AR15 at all really. Armscorp also makes some other .22 models like a AK and something else I think. They are all crap.

Now Mitchell imported (and a few others later I think) Italian made Jager lookalikes that are very nice. I had a Jager AP-74 (I had the newer model with round handguards, birdcage flash suppressor, looks like an A2 style M16, almost exactly) until recently. It was alot of fun. They are very nice looking, the one I had was damn near a dead ringer for the real thing. Jager also made a Galil lookalike, a CAR15 style model, a FAMAS (not a very close copy on that model) and something else too I think.

Last edited:

40Cal

I have an Armi-Jager AP-74 I might be interested in selling. Has the 20" barrel, 15 round mag, 3 prong flash suppressor, real bayonet lug. It looks a LOT like a real M-16/AR-15. Email me at ChaosBS452@aol.com if you're interested.

281 Quad Cam

thanks for all the suggestions and help, i myself am not a true expert, i read endless information on military rifles and their workings, but as far as even the m16 and ak's go, ive shot 2 or 3 and never owned anything firing a true bottleneck rifle cartridge

ofcourse did not shoot like an m16 due to the .22LR's but i have alot of fun with it, and would be willing to buy the cheap replica - if indeed it isnt that bad as a little 50 yard target shooter
it may not fool any veterans on the range, but if it has the overhead charging handle like the m16 and could give me some help to coincide with upcoming ROTC courses - it would be perfect for me

(this added about 10 minutes later)
ok i looked up some pictures online of the AP-74, and im pretty convinced this is the same rifle i shot last week, what strikes me i guess the msot about it, is that it looks like an m16a1 without a forward assist - so now im almost certain it was an AP-74, now that i have a model in mind, it will be easier to find one! thanks for the suggestions of what it could be, now im sure what to look for!

Last edited: