I need one more Inch for an AR to be Comfy

Jamie Young

I messed around with a bunch of AR's today and I need about 1 more inch on the stock. Where can I get any kind of Stock extension for an AR?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Well, they got those slip-on recoil pads; or, you could take your belt sander to a Pachmyr...

No belt sander? Everybody oughta have one; they're real cheap at Harbor Freight.

:), Art

K80Geoff

You mean you don't have a Brownells catalog? Shame on you:D

Did you handle a Bushmaster? One with a real stock and not one of those imitation folding stocks?

Better learn to like the stock because when they draft your butt to go to Iraq you will have to use the standard size AR :D

dZ

there are several stock inserts

many people put on the A1 stock to decrease the length

are ya sure yer mounting it right?
nose to charging handle

Quartus

Sodypoppa, don't feel bad - I like that thing just a tad longer too. A magnum recoil pad ought to do it. It'll get you a lot of ribbing at the range about needing a pad to handle that fierce recoil, though...

Redlg155

Try...

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/16-09-02.asp

GG&G also makes a mount for their quick release sling setup that mounts like a spacer in front of the stock. That may also be enough.

And last you can check on one of the fixed M4 type telestocks. The M4's from RR Arms are supposed to be 3/4inch longer than the standard CAR stocks. That combined with a rubber butt plate should give you the length you need.

Good Shooting
RED

Commander Fan

KEEP YOUR NOSE ON THAT CHARGING HANDLE, PRIVATE!

www.dpmsinc.com offers a Buttstock Extender that looks a lot cleaner than the extended buttplates. It also allows the use of your 'trap door' storage area, which is accessed from the buttstock.

It is a 1" aluminum spacer that fits between the stock and lower receiver. There is also a 1" extension that fits inside to accomodate the buffer tube. The kit is 6061-T6 machined to 1/1000" accurate and sells for $29.

There are people with longer necks that find the stocks too short, but using the universal nose-to-charging-handle hold, most prefer the shorter A1 stocks. Of course, I always see new AR owners at the range shooting them like a conventional rifle, just placing their cheak on the stock and not using the charging handle as an anchor. The result is usually diminished accuracy.

Actually, I am currently waiting on an AR stock that is 2.5" SHORTER than the factory A2. It's the Rock River Arms 'ENTRY' buttstock(www.rockriverarms.com). It will help compensate for the heavier clothing we wear here, 'Up North', since the entry stock was designed to compensate for body armor.

Good Luck Soda Pop

Remember to anchor your nose on that charging handle, just as you were tought by your Drill Sergeant/Instructor.

Jamie Young

Even though I own various Firearms I like to try and get them all to fit me right. My Model 70, 16gauge, Marlin 22mag,SKS and Mini 14 are all pretty close. I can just pick up either one of those guns and I'm looking right where I want to. I've fired a few AR's in the last month, with various Configurations. They were all pretty close to what I want but not quite. I was wearing Winter Clothing when I was handling them so I knew its still short.

The Dissapator I fired was a Pre-Ban with the Telescoping stock. I didn't like the feel on that. The others were Shorties and a 20inch A3.

Is the A1 Stock more what I want than the A2? I want to avoid the Cheesy looking stock extentions. My SKS fits but its a little on the Cheesy side.

Pvt. Joker

Nose on the Charging handle!?

Hey guys,

I recently aquired my first AR Lower... Keep in mind I haven't gotten an upper for it YET, but I when I shoulder the lower, with my stock fully extened, and place my nose where I think the charging handle with be, it seems that I really have to Crane my neck forward... It seems uncomfortable to me. :rolleyes: I am 6'3 200lbs, Any suggestions?

-Jared

Redlg155

Get a longer neck.:D

Actually the whole point in putting your nose to the charging handle is to get a consistent cheek weld time after time to avoid any sighting errors with the peep type sight.

You could just as easily put a peice of tape on your stock where your head rests comfortably and use that for a reference point. When you feel the tape against your cheek, you know your cheek weld is consistent.

with my stock fully extened,

Lets hope that you have that on a Pre Ban lower. If so just collapse the stock a notch and problem solved. If it's not Pre Ban lower, get a fixed stock on that bad boy pronto!:eek:

Good Shooting
RED